JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I find my GHB is in a continuous state of evolution. This is something I learned to accept on deplyment: your kit can always be improved and adjusted. Personally, I am leaning more towards a low profile set up. I work in Seattle, which as some of you know a progressive paradise focused on equality and environmental equilibrium. In adult language that means it gets closer to lawless every day. So the last thing I would want is to attract attention if I had to walk home- all the bloody way to SNOCO.

Anything can kick of civil unrest here. A minor traffic accident in Tacoma will stop traffic all the way to Lynnwood, so imagine an act of nature maybe a bridge goes down or an activist groups decides to block I-5. Even a protest can get out of hand and cripple the city, this is I believe not from a lack of LEO engagement, but rather micro managing and cowardice in city council. I keep waiting for BLM to go ferguson here. Fortunately they are not that ambitious.

This got me thinking about what if I have to walk home. Sure an AK with a folder is a great truck gun, but a guy rolling down a street with a long gun is going to attract too much attention from the wrong people. Likewise, the guy with multi cam and Molon Labe patches will be a target for the over achievers and honor students. What is worse he will also be of interest to any Federal LE or military elements who may be on scene to restore " order"

Perhaps it is best to carry a hipster sling bag, extra socks and shoes, extra ammo and mags for the EDC. Possibly something like an AR pistol? We all prepare to fight it out with the victims of capitalism, but what about check points? NG? LEO? FEMA?

So I am putting together a Lo Pro kit to get home if I ever have to walk. Because I am getting home, that is not negotiable. The goal is to be as close to invisible as possible, but have the essentials covered. I am curious what you folks have found to work in a lo pro scenario and would welcome any suggestions. And yes I PT regularly, but am going to start getting some long urban hikes in on my days off.

I like your idea of being invisible.
Using "non tactical gear bags and clothing" is good advice.
I was in several different LRRP / LRSD units while in the Army and not being seen or noticed is a always a big plus. ;)

Maybe plan your "urban hikes" with the idea of finding alternate routes home...
Andy

I like your idea of being invisible.
Using "non tactical gear bags and clothing" is good advice.
I was in several different LRRP / LRSD units while in the Army and not being seen or noticed is a always a big plus. ;)

Maybe plan your "urban hikes" with the idea of finding alternate routes home...
Andy

That is a good idea!

One of my favorite backpacks is one that no one notices and I've had it for over 15 years now. It's a snowboarding back pack, designed to carry two snowboards while treking - Dakine Heli Pro. The bag has changed A LOT since then, but it's still a great bag. Padded, carries a ton of gear, good strapping points. I like it.
Same can be said about a lot of skateboarding influnced bags.

"Invisible" is always good. Predator and prey ...... don't run or do anything to make yourself "prey". Maybe not make direct eye contact but obviously still be alert, just keep moving. In Seattle, you'd be treated like royalty if you were a homeless person so maybe dress slightly grubby to help you blend or be ignored altogether.

I've often thought that something like a snug fitting "vest" of some sort, with lots of small pockets to hold items like energy bars, first aid supplies, spare mags to fit your reg. carry,
reflective blankets, spare socks, etc....It could be worn under a baggy shirt or warm coat, add a beat-up ball cap and good (used) walking shoes kept in a bag so you could change before you hit the mean streets.
A bag that's carried or a backpack could mark you as a possible target in an urban environment.
A small container of doe pee or equivent can do wonders to keep you fromm being frisked if you are stopped.

The idea is to get out and get home in couple days or less, not to engage(you won't win) or camp for weeks. If you don't think you can go grey and walk 40 miles in a couple of days and live 60 miles from work...you may want to shelter in place. Same thing if you need to cross bridges.

Last Edited:
Given the proliferation of relatively cheap chinese made camouflage backpacks it's not uncommon to see them as standard equipment for homeless and hipsters alike. While I would pass up on the Eberlestock pack, you're probably going to be fine with condor or an ex-mil pack from the local surplus store.

I kinda span the gap between the tactical crowd and the normal-crowd, I don't wear 5.11 anything... I usually prefer wrangler cargo pants from walmart. That said, when you get out of seattle proper, a guy with a camouflage hat, a pickup truck, and a flannel attracts about as much attention as a fir tree does.

Rather than planning to hike out, why not stash a mountain bike in/near your office? Or if you really want to super blend in, ride your bike to work and smell your own farts a lot telling everyone how you're saving the planet.

I find generally there are two avenues when it comes to most things, you can blend in and hope no one notices, or you can be so over the top no one is going to bother. When you're dealing with a large group of retards blocking traffic your chances of being caught at ground zero are fairly low, these roadblocks are not meant to let anyone through, which means miles and miles of traffic backup, at the same time, it also generally means you have opportunities to route around it.

From my experience driving around in the city, the northern routes are by far the most miserable. Bothell area being some of the worst. Personally, I do anything I possibly can to avoid driving through the city. I regularly take 203/18 around the far side, and just stay away from 5/405, and I won't get on 5 until I'm north of 2, or south of seatac, usually I take the other hwy down to puyallup before heading west to 5.

One thing you might consider adding to your USK is a raft. I'm not sure there's any more 'tard free travel than either rowing across lake WA.

What you really might consider, is that if you're dealing with protests or other temporary impediments to your travel, is have enough stuff to shelter in place. Long gun, ammo, food, water, and just let things burn themselves out. Even if you're dealing with "this is it, this is SHTF" there's probably going to be a few days where police at least attempt to reinstated ROL and this may be your opportunity to get out. If an event like this is precipitated by an EMP or something, chances are those that would take advantage of the situation are going to be in disarray as much as LE will. Chances are you will be dealing only with small groups, if cell-phones are down, they won't be able to mass organize. At which point you're better grabbing your car, and going heavy. The advantage of the car is that it can put way more distance between you and any attacker quicker than any other mode, provided there are clear routes. I would suggest wherever possible, sticking to surface streets, and avoiding choke points like the bridges, unless you absolutely know they're clear.

I've thought a lot about this the past year or so. I've kind of tried to avoid getting gear that either looks military issue or is high end/expensive. My thinking has been that military gear may make you a target for folks that may think you're not actually military, but a civilian 'operator' that may be an easy mark. The high end stuff will draw attention too for folks looking to rob someone. Honestly though, after a major disaster, assuming that most people will not have been prepared - anyone with a pack of any kind could be a target for looters looking for food, water, anything.

I've been working on planning various routes home from my job - including considering how to make use of the river to get home - avoiding the streets - might be a good option, but still working out the details.

I'll have to watch that 'grey man' video, looks interesting.

I say EBR pistol in the tennis bag/etc. It can attach to you back pack or even carry it in your hand while your pack is two strapped.This way you have one hand free to depoly the EBR or CCW, and anybody looking at you might say, "Oh, look at the raquetball player or the beatnik with a banjo", etc. and keep walking. When approaching LEOS, checkpoints....I'd steer clear or have the racquet ball bag strapped up to the back pack....
EBR pistol is perfectly legal regardless of how you conceal it if you have CPL.

Brutus Out

One thing to remember during bad times, EVERY one else is going to be scared same as you. Scared is your friend if you know how to use that to your advantage! It also makes the dudes with ill intent stand out more then the rest! Blending in isn't as hard as folks make it out to be, the trick is not trying too hard, which will work against you. The Seattle Hipster look can be pulled off pretty easy, but what ever you do, OWN it. A good school bag that looks well used can work wonders, as can a well worn gym bag. Every one has something they carry these days, this goes a long way to becoming the seen yet unseen! Also, power down ( disable) electronics, not only will you need to have them charged and available at some point, having them disabled will prevent tracking. I mention this as agencies can track the pings of your devices even when not in use and they can see what routes you and maybe others might be using and they may move to close that off!

My get home plan is 30 miles, or less. Put another way, 24 hours, or less. I am rarely farther than that from home. No shelter in place. Must get home. Possibly, one night in the open. Continuous walking during daylight. I don't need to figure out bridges, or rivers. I don't need three days of supplies. Just one day's worth. The most dangerous thing is that possible night out. Staying warm and dry. Even in summer. All else is just walking. I was Infantry. I have some experience with walking. Some high cal food. 2 liters water. Cover and warmth for the night. Weapon. Not much else needed.

Honestly though, after a major disaster, assuming that most people will not have been prepared - anyone with a pack of any kind could be a target for looters looking for food, water, anything.

I've been working on planning various routes home from my job - including considering how to make use of the river to get home - avoiding the streets - might be a good option, but still working out the details.

I'll have to watch that 'grey man' video, looks interesting.

This is pretty much my line of thinking, anything that's super-serious just being there is going to make you a target (look at the rodney king riots, they were pulling anyone they could out of a car) and "going heavy" might be enough to let you get away. On the other hand, if you're getting out of the WTC "going heavy" is going to get you stopped by LE and first responders. At the same time, if protestors flood onto the interstate your chances of being at ground zero are very low, which leaves you to simply route around the problem.

For the most part, I get the "grey man" concept, but I think it's very limited in what it actually buys you. Much like flying, in any serious event, speed is going to be life, and in most cases it's going to be even more important than firepower or armor. However, in a serious Zombie Apocalypse, speed will likely be impeded first, which leaves the firepower and armor side of the equation an important consideration.

In most cases, what you're going to need is plans A through Z, and maybe even through ZZZ.

...In most cases, what you're going to need is plans A through Z, and maybe even through ZZZ.
My feelings exactly.

On blending in.

If its a mass casualty event, and you are unharmed, and can't or are unable to help others, act injured. Limp scruff up clothing etc.

If you can't egress at night, without drawing attention to yourself. Don't. Have you ever tried hiking at night without lights or a decent moon? Give it a try if you can. It's really difficult with a decent moon, and a great way to twist an ankle as well. Now your bad situation is really freaking bad.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top