JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You could add a little Minn koda electric trolling motor to an inflatable and have enough reserve to make several trips up stream on the Willy! A single car battery on a super light boat like that would really get you places, pretty fast too! Heck, a lawn tractor battery would get you pretty far with these motors!
minn_kota_traxxis_1_i3.jpg

You could add a little Minn koda electric trolling motor to an inflatable and have enough reserve to make several trips up stream on the Willy! A single car battery on a super light boat like that would really get you places, pretty fast too! Heck, a lawn tractor battery would get you pretty far with these motors!
View attachment 313423

Nice idea, but two potential issues: where to store the boat, battery and motor, and, how to get them to the river with just one person. Anything I would use would have to be able to most likely be stored inside a car trunk when not in use and light weight enough to pack about 4-5 blocks to get to a put-in location on the river, the closest of which is likely to be heavily trafficked by homeless camp dwellers who are probably going to be on the prowl in the post-disaster aftermath.

I think total weight would be about 30 pounds! The motor can have that shaft cut down to what ever length you wanted, and the battery is only a little bigger then a motorcycle batt. Could ease ally fit a car truck, or even a backpack with some creative work!

I think total weight would be about 30 pounds! The motor can have that shaft cut down to what ever length you wanted, and the battery is only a little bigger then a motorcycle batt. Could ease ally fit a car truck, or even a backpack with some creative work!

One thought would be to take the battery from my car - that way there would be no need to have a dedicated version. Would be darn heavy to lug around, but if it helps, it may be worth it. If I could make a plan like this work, most likely I would end up abandoning the whole rig when I get closer to home as there's no way I'm going to lug that stuff up-hill another few miles. Figuring a single shot trip to get close to home, then it's back to land from that point on.

A real he-man would just remove some big rig wheels with his bare hands and make a field expedient raft. Probably take three minutes, tops. Personally, I'd just pole it across with what God gave me. lol

Great, just imagine people running around portland with sawed off battery powered outboards!

IIRC common batteries are something like 45-60Ah, assuming your motor pulls 2-4 amps, that's maybe 3 hours of run time, and I'm sure you won't be going quick on the last 1/3 of that battery.

If you've got scads of cash you don't need, pick up a pack raft.

They run about $1000, but are also incredibly durable & pack able. I've never been into water sports myself, so I've never used them. Have read a bunch of self supported cycling expeditions where they were used though, and the beating/load carried is pretty amazing - including hauling the rafter, gear, plus a MTB. Could probably find one used at $500, with some searching.

-How small do fly fishing floats pack up? Cheap dry suit/floatations vest/dry bag?

-ultimately though I'd rule out using waterways as a get home following any seismic event which would cause SHTF though, even just a "simple crossing" of anything beyond say a creek. The assumed flotsam/debris hazards would make any crossing too risky in my mind. That's just me though. If your like a fish out of water, you'd be a much better judge of conditions/possible condition scenarious vs what you could reasonably accomplish.

-ultimately though I'd rule out using waterways as a get home following any seismic event which would cause SHTF though, even just a "simple crossing" of anything beyond say a creek. The assumed flotsam/debris hazards would make any crossing too risky in my mind. That's just me though. If your like a fish out of water, you'd be a much better judge of conditions/possible condition scenarious vs what you could reasonably accomplish.

I'm no fish and certainly no river guide. But I have had a little time on the water over the years - at least enough to not be afraid of the water. I do agree, any huge event could cause serious issues in the water, from any of the 4 bridges between me and home collapsing into the Willamette (could pull out and walk around that debris most likely) to the waste water treatment plant up near where I live dumping lots of lovely floaters down river :eek:. At least there are no dams to worry about, no rapids - but the entire trip would be upstream - which can be a very different experience if it's in the winter during heavy rains versus a low and slow river in the middle of summer. All in all, I'm trying to consider all possible options for getting home - knowing that no matter what I choose, there will be a long list of potential hazards along the way.

I am one of about 10 folks asked recently to join a group at work to develop a disaster preparedness plan for our company. That plan will include getting business communications and operations back up and running. But it will also include providing for the short term needs of employees if they happen to be at work, say, should the Cascadia quake hit. My initial job is to come up with some planning for the immediate needs of employees at each building - first aid, safety/security, basic needs like food/shelter. Then we'll work on also helping to inform employees of how to equip themselves for getting back home should they make that choice. It will be an interesting learning experience since this planning is not for me and my family, but we have to look at a plan for upwards of 100 people. Definitely have a lot of research to do.

That does sound interesting! Going to suggest a rack of battle rifles? :)

I'm still thinking about the subject and haven't even finished reading the thread yet, but I want to share my experience in an antique building during an earth quake!
I was on the top (fourth) floor of a brick building in inner SE PDX during the 5.6 Molalla 'quake of 1993. This building is so old it has been dedicated as a historic site.
I was up, on four, using the restroom, when the urinal started to sway about 8" from plumb each way! Took a second to understand that it wasn't ME! Now I understand the saying, "My knees turned to water!" 'Cause they sure did! I realized immediately just where I was! I still had a good turn of speed back then, and the winged sandals of Mercury couldn't have beat me out of that death trap. Fortunately no collapse, no harm done, but that was an awful feeling, and I suggest that you avoid it if you can. ;)

I'm still thinking about the subject and haven't even finished reading the thread yet, but I want to share my experience in an antique building during an earth quake!
I was on the top (fourth) floor of a brick building in inner SE PDX during the 5.6 Molalla 'quake of 1993. This building is so old it has been dedicated as a historic site.
I was up, on four, using the restroom, when the urinal started to sway about 8" from plumb each way! Took a second to understand that it wasn't ME! Now I understand the saying, "My knees turned to water!" 'Cause they sure did! I realized immediately just where I was! I still had a good turn of speed back then, and the winged sandals of Mercury couldn't have beat me out of that death trap. Fortunately no collapse, no harm done, but that was an awful feeling, and I suggest that you avoid it if you can. ;)

I remember that quake well - it was my first. I was at my apartment in Oregon City, asleep (working nights at the time) when it started and startled me awake - having never been in one before, it took a while to figure out what was going on, and honestly, I had no idea what to do - we don't have these here. I ended up running out to the parking lot and just standing there in a daze. I can also clearly remember the two distinct movements of that quake - the side to side shaking, but also the rolling waves. Very interesting experience.

Talk about worst possible timing...
Unfortunate zipper injuries? Just how wet did you get yourself?
Inquiring minds want to know! lol

Yeah, I'm working out in my mind how to best bring up the subject of bodies as a real and likely concern that will have to be dealt with. Hopefully the team I'm on is adult enough to speak of such things.

I'd just toss those bodies in the Ganges (Or Willamette,since it's about the same anymore,and quite a bit more conveniently located for you:rolleyes:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top