JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I plan to be ready for anything... either natural or man-made...

Though in my opinion, short of a full scale civil war, the widespread meltdown of society that gets talked about so much in prepping circles, is never going to happen. Sure, we will have small localized problems, like during Katrina for example... thats it though.

Even if the Cascadia slips the big one... its not going to be an end of the world scenario.

So, even if you find yourself in a tight spot post-disaster, you will probably end up sharing a cell with Mike Strickland when the dust settles. Its not Mad Max, Waterworld or the Walking Dead... always remember that you will be held accountable for your actions and in the PDX/SEA areas, you may survive the emergency, but you may not be a free man.

Have a less-lethal plan as well. If you have a group of people roaming your neighborhood... you really cant do anything unless theyre entering your place. You cant start pumping rounds at them through your fence boards.

When order is restored, and it will be, you will have to account for the dead people around your property:D

Agreed.

...However, in the context of this thread: people will get ugly. If this ugliness threatens me, or my family? Pretty simple response.

If they just happen to be roaming the neighborhood, again, agreed.

In all my SHTF scenarios the US is too large to be physically effected coast to coast. But even the relatively small floods in Vernonia, Or, had a ripple affect on those living through it. Divorce, financial issues that lasted years.

In a local/regional SHTF what utility workers man the grid for free? Those workers stay home or evacuate to Canada. The Grid goes down unless the Army mans it. Even a dirty bomb is local. That said, in the PNW transportation routes are very limited. Getting to a safe bug out location on government controlled I-5 or braving back road, road blocks solo (if you have fuel) will be a miracle.

I plan to be ready for anything... either natural or man-made...

Though in my opinion, short of a full scale civil war, the widespread meltdown of society that gets talked about so much in prepping circles, is never going to happen. Sure, we will have small localized problems, like during Katrina for example... thats it though.

Even if the Cascadia slips the big one... its not going to be an end of the world scenario.

So, even if you find yourself in a tight spot post-disaster, you will probably end up sharing a cell with Mike Strickland when the dust settles. Its not Mad Max, Waterworld or the Walking Dead... always remember that you will be held accountable for your actions and in the PDX/SEA areas, you may survive the emergency, but you may not be a free man.

Have a less-lethal plan as well. If you have a group of people roaming your neighborhood... you really cant do anything unless theyre entering your place. You cant start pumping rounds at them through your fence boards.

When order is restored, and it will be, you will have to account for the dead people around your property:D

This has always been my "plan". I figure it it turns into a full scale war we are not going to be able to keep our home. To me the real world thing is natural disaster. Here for me it's quake. So as long as the house does not fall down we have shelter. It may take days, maybe a week for order to be restored. In that time The freaks will prey on the weak. Those unprepared for what happens when there is no 911 are out of luck. I think of it as it was during the LA riots. They were burning Korean stores because of that old lady who shot that kid. The owners who were armed and showed it were left alone. The packs of animals left to go look for easier targets. Figure my house will be like that. They will look for easier targets.

There are always ugly people, SHTF or no. There are always more good folks than not and good folks will always do what they can to help each other to make the best of a bad situation. I think it's human/tribal nature.

If it gets to the point everyone in a group is starving to death it's a lost cause anyway and not worth discussing

The biggest vulnerability we have as a nation, in my view, is the electrical grid. Compound that with the complexity in major cities of the supply chain with regard to food and fuel and a lot of people are at risk if a catastrophe happens.

Here in the Northwest we have the huge advantage of hydroelectric power - great. But fuel sources and reserves are a huge weak point.

The populous of the U.S. isn't as hearty as it once was and many basic skills are all but lost.

Get fit, get armed, get trained.

Just an EMP or two away from anarchy.

Just an EMP or two away from anarchy.
Wouldn't take that much hardly.

If N Korea took out S Korea, or Iran tries to take out Israel (I'd think they'd try a tactical on the Knesit, along with tactical strikes on key military...) would cause WorldWide panic & such.

Opportunists would go CRAZY. Far far crazier than any of the election riots we have seen in recent months, or the BLM riots immediately after the Brown incident.

So next is at what point do you start to open fire to protect you/your family and resources??

If they cross the line immediately!! I will do my best to make sure my family survives.

Thats why you drop them on your neighbors property. You know the one that everyone has that no one likes! :D

J/K maybe :oops:

If they do this for material items, then food is going to be much worse:

black friday shoppers - YouTube

Simple, use cast lead and have a throw away barrel for your pistol. Sand down firing pin and done.

So the lesson here is to plan on shooting everyone.
Like the man said:
"Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
And therein lies the problem.

What are we supposed to do with the bodies? I mean, I know my neighbor will still want to feed his pit bulls, but Jeez, that seems kinda extreme.
It's too rocky around here to dig that many holes,... So what's the defensive marksman to do?

Like the man said:

What are we supposed to do with the bodies? I mean, I know my neighbor will still want to feed his pit bulls, but Jeez, that seems kinda extreme.
It's too rocky around here to dig that many holes,... So what's the defensive marksman to do?

Say some words & burn them.

Do what you have to do, and so will we.

Not having humans decomposing around, and not expending the energy to dig.

As I mentioned, we'd say some words & burn them. That would be pretty harsh, but it would be the rite thing to do. Bury the remains, again, the rite thing to do.

Not to cover anything up, mind, as we would all have our judgement.

Desperation will make good people do bad things.

For a quick primer on what you can expect I would direct you to someone in your life who has gotten addicted to opiates or to a lesser degree other drugs or alcohol. One of the changes in the brain of an Opiate addict takes place in the Amygdala which is a part of the brain that also handles much of our survival instinct. If you are lucky enough not to have a friend or family member that has gone down that way I think the easiest way to explain it is that opiates have replaced food in their hierarchy of needs.

When they find they won't be getting their next dose it is chemically very similar to what you would see with people starving to death trying to find a next meal. When people start running out of food and basic necessities they will be even worse than dope sick Junkies. I say that because it stands to reason that a dope sick junkie can at least try and fight their survival instincts by reminding themselves they will not die if they don't get their fix. Thankfully some are successful in this and find that they don't actually die, they will just feel like they are dieing for a week or so.

With a SHTF situation there is no convincing yourself that you can convert to breathinarism and not need food. When you combine the drive to survive personally with the drive to provide for peoples children you get a pretty nasty picture. And as if that picture wasn't bad enough you have to remember that those criminal elements that are out there now will be able to run rampant with very little consequence.

I hope the worst never comes to pass, I spent a year or so living on the street years ago and that was enough survival for more than several lifetimes. It was like the crappiest camping trip you can imagine. Surviving in a world where everyone is as unhinged as the worst addicts is going to require either a lot of space between you and them or a lot of people you can trust to help you man some serious defenses.

CountryGent: Isn't Mark Twain just the absolute best ? He seriously is one of my favorite authors and possibly the most quotable man of all time.

Well said! :s0101::s0101::s0101:

When I deployed to Gulf 1 in the middle of the desert, we had a medical unit which had nurses and also a few air traffic controllers which had females. In less than two weeks a fair percentage of marital affairs started, gambling problems and theft occurred. We were supposed to be on the same team fighting for on cause.

It was pretty amazing that so called professional, disciplined, trained individuals lost their bearing at the slightest hint of conflict. Most people kept it together but there were suicide watches, crying and all sorts of issues for a few but was still very telling. People's minds can take a small problem and make it huge, based on nothing.

That's well said, also! :s0101::s0101::s0101:

Like the man said:

Supposedly hogs will eat anything...

I've heard from those that said if SHTF they will head for my home. Told them I will add them to the wall. Makes no sense till I explain the scene from "300" where a wall has been built from the the bodies of fallen foes. I'm not going to support those that did not prepare to take care of their own issues.

Heads on pikes around my perimeter! :cool:

IMG_0819.JPG

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top