JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Trout fishing opened on a local lake this Saturday. Several local fishermen were there and a homeless young man, 18yo. He, and other homeless are the focus of this thread.

He was scrounging from others and soliciting from them, even being very up-front and vocal about his homelessness; he went on about being thrown out of his home because he got his girlfriend pregnant and was now living in the woods (a small park area) at the side of the fishing area boat launch...where bank anglers fish. Some folks gave him fish they caught and other supplies.

Monday he is there again working the crowd. He is taking home 10+fish.

Tuesday, I am fishing with several known fishermen and another young man walks up to the fishing bank area with a pit-bull/rottweiler mix dog...I am about 5 feet from the dog when it attempts to attack me, lunging and barking viciously at me. I back away of course and am threatened and scared. I relocate to a sitting position on a large rock and a few minutes later the guy brings the dog up close to where I am sitting and the dog attempts to attack me again...now I am scared, threaten, and pissed: I move again after yelling at the guy. About 15 minutes later he walks the dog away from the bank area. I am still visibly shaken and fish some more.

I saw the18 yo again on Wednesday and in passing I tell him about being accosted by the dog...He starts telling me that it is a public place and that the youth with the dog has a right to be there, what? Next, he tells me the dog is just looking for some love! Then, he goes on to tell me he heard someone pulled a gun on the dog, what? I tell him it wasn't me, stating it must have been someone else. Then he asks me if I carry a gun? I tell him no (of course, although I have a CPL and do carry). So, I ask him if he carries a gun and he says, no he can't, he's only 18, and that he carries a knife because "he likes to be close and personal".

He bums a smoke from a fellow fisherman and returns to his rod. Then another homeless guy shows ups and 'bums a smoke' from the fisherman that the first guy bummed a smoke from...then the guy with the dog (without the dog) shows up and I notice him and thank him for not bringing the dog and he sits with the newly arriving homeless person...it turns out they are all buddies and they go off to have breakfast together at the encampment in the woods and walk up the boat launch road and away...I had given him a fish, no more and not again.

I am concerned for my safety and corruption of our lake/fishing area.

I am 70 and a bit disabled. I put pepper spray in with my fishing gear...what a shame.

Next Steps for me???

Good idea to have a couple doses of pepper spray with you, along with your firearm. I'd definitely get a fishing buddy or two - and make sure they can shoot straight.

Years ago, one of my cousins was approached by a couple of men who asked him for a light for their cigarette. When they got in right close, one of them stabbed him in the guts. Almost killed him, and it took a long, long time for him to recover. You just never know what a "panhandler" is really thinking when they start in.

The fact that he told you he carries a knife is kinda odd. You're right to be concerned.

Homelessness seems to be getting worse everywhere. A homeless man threatened to murder an elderly couple who lives just outside Monmouth not too long ago. Surprising that even a small town like this one is having homeless issues.

I was in San Francisco a little over a year ago, and was surprised by the homeless camps they have there. Interesting times we live in.

Sorry your fishing hole is overrun. Hope you find a better spot.

Fish somewhere else. You know there is an unsavory element there that is dangerous.

If you continue to return to a place where you feel threatened and traumatized repeatedly, well, then maybe you should ask yourself if that's really a smart thing to do.

I used to love to fish and camp at a place called Moose Creek Reservoir near here. Used to camp there and fish and ride dirt bikes with my mom and dad and uncles and cousins.

Then in the late 90's, the white trash started hanging out there and made it dangerous and uncomfortable. So I stopped going there.

Eventually, the sheriff's office sent deputies there every weekend and chased off the dirtbags.

Started going fishing there again a few years ago.

It really is pretty simple.

I had a 10' flatbottom boat when I was a teenager, about $100 from Sears. No trailer needed and plenty of room for two. No motor, just oars got me to the best fishing spots on the lake.

Find a new spot. That one is theirs now and cops won't remove them. Not only will you continue to be harrassed, you can expect your car to be a target too. It won't get better until they move along.

And never, ever give a bum anything. Those guys choose to live like that.

I had a 10' flatbottom boat when I was a teenager, about $100 from Sears. No trailer needed and plenty of room for two. No motor, just oars got me to the best fishing spots on the lake.
At 70yo I'd be looking for a boat with a motor that I can haul with a trailer. Probably something I could push around with a minkota and put a mercury 25HP on the back of for when I really wanted to get moving. Actually, I'd like to have one now if I could store it with me.

I saw the18 yo again on Wednesday and in passing I tell him about being accosted by the dog...
1st mistake was even talking to this person in passing. You need to be ugly and downright cold and mean to these people from the get go. Don't let them get close and give them the coldest, meanest, iciest look you can.
These people have somehow managed to 'educate' themselves on how to get close to people, get them to listen or be intimidating as a last resort.
WE as productive citizens need to stand up against these people as defiantly as we can within our legal rights.
If EVERYONE would treat them as the feral animals they are we might actually see some progress.
I hate hearing about encounters like the OP posted but what I hate even more is when I see people actually stopping and listening to them - this is stage one of being 'drawn in'

Last Edited:
My wife gets mad at me for being mean to "homeless"

When they ask if I have any spare change, or an extra dollar, I say yeah, and thats it, I never give them anything. Basically I treat them like door to door solicitors.

At 70 years old, if you are unarmed then you're prey. These thugs know that. They have and will again zero in on you. Not trying to be rude. At 39 years with a back that feels much older than my brain and a shoulder awaiting surgery, if I am unarmed, I too am prey. Best bet is to avoid places where conflict is likely to arise. If you do decide to go back, go armed and be prepared and able to defend yourself only as a last resort. I live in the modern day equivelent of Mayberry. There is a lake on the edge of town that I frequently fish with a kid or two in tow. I feel safe 99% of the time (only had an issue once), but I am armed 100% of the time.

Last Edited:
As others have said, do NOT give them anything. If you feed them they keep asking for more.
OC spray works VERY well on dogs, fairly well on humans. Have a gun to back it up. I too would report them. The authorities will most likely do nothing. Then if this ever goes bad you can prove you tried to have authorities deal with them. Ditto on the find a buddy to go with too if possible. This is sadly the new norm now. I keep hoping voters will finally get enough but so far they do not seem to have yet.

I am concerned for my safety and corruption of our lake/fishing area.

I am 70 and a bit disabled. I put pepper spray in with my fishing gear...what a shame.

Next Steps for me???
Report this to the police then...
Find another lake.
This trash braced you and will attempt to rob you if the opportunity arises. They were testing how you react with the dog and he idiot comment about the knife.
Are you able to handle/fend off an attack? Are you prepared to shoot the bum or the dog?
If not, find new fishing ground.

Good idea to have a couple doses of pepper spray with you, along with your firearm. I'd definitely get a fishing buddy or two - and make sure they can shoot straight.

Years ago, one of my cousins was approached by a couple of men who asked him for a light for their cigarette. When they got in right close, one of them stabbed him in the guts. Almost killed him, and it took a long, long time for him to recover. You just never know what a "panhandler" is really thinking when they start in.

The fact that he told you he carries a knife is kinda odd. You're right to be concerned.

Homelessness seems to be getting worse everywhere. A homeless man threatened to murder an elderly couple who lives just outside Monmouth not too long ago. Surprising that even a small town like this one is having homeless issues.

I was in San Francisco a little over a year ago, and was surprised by the homeless camps they have there. Interesting times we live in.

Sorry your fishing hole is overrun. Hope you find a better spot.

Good points.

Street robberies and you - The Basics - AR15.COM

I was always taught "don't go anywhere WITH a gun you wouldn't go WITHOUT one." Sadly, you don't have to GO anywhere, the vermin will come to YOU even if they have to hop or cut your fence to do it.

I'm starting to think an old buddy was onto something when he suggested rounding them up, warehousing them somewhere isolated and making them face off in a modern version of Roman gladiator fights, televised as both entertainment and warning.

This is a tough one because I know there are homeless people that are just down on their luck and people will refuse to hire them. My father in law is one of them, and meeting and getting to know him changed my initial/first impression of homeless people. has a home now, he was homeless 7-10 years ago, he was applying everywhere and even McDonald's wouldn't hire him. And it's always nice to help people who are just honestly down on their luck as I have given 1 or 2 people some hot food and a coffee before. I will never give them money though, I don't want them using my money for drugs, if my money is buying drugs, I want the drugs lol. (I don't do drugs)

But the people who just don't care and choose to be homeless really screw everyone else that is in a bad spot over like the ones you are encountering at your fishing spot. Definitely start going with a friend or even a group of people. As for the dog, is it an area required to be on a leash? If not, maybe you could report the guy for not having a dog on a leash? If he is on a leash, try talking to the guy and ask him to leave you alone, or to keep his dog away from you. But if he has buddies and you piss him off who knows how their drugged out minds will react. Again, that's where fishing with a buddy comes in. Maybe even find someone younger that is there fishing and ask them to fish with you or at least in eyesight of you and explain the situation? I know that violates keeping your spot a secret, but still nice having someone there for some extra eyes and help. Sorry for the long post.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top