JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think its an indispensable tool/option for certain situations. Especially since it saved me from a mauling last summer!

Im an avid outdoor runner and like to keep some pepperspray clipped to my running shorts. I dont like carrying a gun because of the weight, even my phone bouncing around drives me nuts. I was jogging along a suburban trail when a mutt of a dog slipped its chain-link fence and charged me. Stupid cheap velcro pouch got hung-up but I still pulled the can in time and with a lucky shot hosed the lil bastard right in the snout/mouth and up into its eyes. It ran away squealing and clipped a light pole on its way back so I guess it was temporarily blinded. If I had a gun in that situation the backstop wouldve been a bunch of houses and a school bus stop. Not an ideal use case for a gun, perfect use for pepper spray.

Also I figure even if spray doesnt incapacitate an attacker it could look better to a court (and frankly my conscience) if I at least made the attempt to non-lethal a person before putting holes in them. But like everything there are pros/cons and training involved, yes even with pepper spray. People usually forget that last part.

The one-star reviews say these made it worse

Read through a page of them and the VAST majority seem to think they are well worth having so who knows. :s0092:
Last time I was helping an LEO at work who got sprayed by his own people I gave him some milk and a washcloth. He said it seemed to help. If I have to get sprayed again will probably buy some of these to try.

If you are going to use it you may wish to expose yourself to it before so you know how it feels
Are we not doing phrasing?

1000002374.jpg

Last Edited:
Five Point Three by Fox Labs is what I carry.

This is one of the only true police strength pepper sprays on the market, and the original legacy formula that is carried by police, correctional officers and the United States military.

It's an oil based pepper spray (most pepper sprays are water) giving the spray greater distance and stronger effects on impact. This is one of the most carried formulas by law enforcement officers worldwide. The 5.3 also includes invisible UV marking dye for suspect identification. Consider that a plus.

I firmly believe that if you carry a sidearm, you probably carry a knife for less lethal self defense situations. It only makes sense to carry pepper spray as a less lethal option as well.

Just my .02

You should ALWAYS carry hot sauce IMO. It's good to have an option between hands and shooting someone. I would stick with Fox Labs, Sabre Red, or POM. All are order-able on line. Make sure you check your local laws as some places have size restrictions. 2.5 oz, for example, is as big as you can go in California.

I tend to wear mostly cargo pants because that's the only way I've been able to figure out how to carry all the crap I want to carry (gun, knife, spare mag, light, pepper spray, wallet, phone). I may need to get a Man Purse at some point. *sigh*

Anyway, the cargo pants make it easy. I also keep a 2.5 oz can in the center console of my truck. You can never have too many cans of pepper spray around. And if you have women in your life, make sure they have a can for both their purse and their car. Note that a brightly colored can is easier to find in a dark purse. But they should really have a holster of some sort that will keep the can in the purse in the same exact spot so they can grab it without looking...unless they keep it on their keychain or something.

Also pay attention to the expiration date on the can and swap it before it expires. The hot sauce doesn't degrade and stays hot but the propellent does slow leak over time. I'd also stick with the standard spray...not the cone fog or gel variants but YMMV.

As for the video, it's interesting. At the point someone pulls a knife on me, I'm generally not going to be messing with pepper spray. A knife is absolutely a deadly threat and if the spray doesn't work, there may not be enough time to draw and shoot them. Especially at that distance. But I get the guy was worried about innocents in his backstop so I understand why he opted for spray. But a better option in that situation may have simply been to RUN. The nut job could still chase him, of course, but he'd likely get enough distance to be able to turn and hot sauce him if he needed to...or shoot him if he got a clear backstop. It's a sucky situation all around and I'm glad it worked out.

Last Edited:
I carry Fox 5.3 horizontal, on the belt, 11 O'clock. Safariland horizontal mag pouch for Glock 20 mags holds it really well. I also carry a gun. I also don't want to have to use either of them. Plan is for non-deadly threats to get sprayed, deadly threats to get shot, hopefully all of them to be avoided entirely.

The videographer is lucky that the perp was a moron and didn't stick him with the knife as soon as he pulled it, because he was close enough to do that.

Knife=deadly threat. Pulling knife shows intent. Opening knife, threatening with knife, advancing after pulling knife shows intent. Cops would have shot him for the same thing.

I am I glad I wasn't the videographer. I would have needed an attorney and to let a responding officer know that I defended myself against a deadly threat, and would comply with any further questions after my attorney was present.

I've been pepper sprayed and maced a few times as part of training/volunteering. Hurts and might deter some attackers, but not sure enough for me to trust. I was able to power through the pepper spray and tackle my opponent. We both ended up covered with it and blowing snot everywhere, but if it had been a real attack, he would have been dead.

I've considered carrying it for dog, but stopped when I witnessed full strength spray directly to the face fail to even slow down a pit bull attack.
Sprays run the gamut from worthless to potent. Want good? Pay good. Then, get training. Rule 1 is never threaten with the spray. Arm can cover face while the perp charges. It must be a surprise. 2. Action beats reaction every time and you want maximum mucosal contact: eyes, nose, mouth. 3. The shock of the spray striking the face will virtually always disorient the attacker. 4. Give a good long spritz. One second can do with a fully exposed face. As much as three counted seconds for more agitated, already violent perps. Then move out of the immediate (vapor cloud) area, to prevent the cloud from disabling you and loved ones. Then, from a safe distance, as prudent, watch and wait. The initial momentary disorientation will give you precious seconds to put distance between you and the perp.

EDIT: Have a taste of it! You must know the effect and be able to function through that effect, as even the cloud is a powerful irritant. The worst outcome is being disabled by the very defense tool that you have used and being further attacked by an EVEN ANGRIER perp. Is experiencing it going to be a horrible experience? Yes! But it must be more horrible for the perp for you to gain the advantage.

Last Edited:
I keep a can of Freeze+P in between my front seats of my car. I did a lot of reading before I bought it and it seemed to have a lot of positive results from LE, and not many saying that it didn't work well. My main reason for keeping it in my car, some dick head trying to open my door or reach in my window (with no weapon) will get sprayed and hopefully deter them.

I agree with that statement.
There are YouTube videos where the individual has been purposely sprayed by multiple different defensive sprays on different occasions and then reviews the affect that each particular brand of spray had on him.
cool. didn't know those existed. did quick youtube search but didn't find those yet. found a couple:

skip to 0:45 to see POM test FYI. This is 100% accurate to the real world effect on an attacker (Fentanyl or the 10% of population pepper spray has no effect on excluded I assume, but don't know). Also note test was a quick spray vs most experts recommended a sustained spray in a cross motion (left-right to eyes then up-down eyes to mouth).

this guy says fox 5.3 and pom are the best. skip to 4:24 for summary:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany