JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This clip got me thinking:

Seemed pretty effective against this fruit cake. Does anyone here carry pepper spray/mace? And if so, what do you carry and how do you carry it?

Sorry if there is a duplicate thread to this...

I tried carrying mace for a while, kept leaving it at home due to how bulky it was. Switched to POM mace a few months ago on the recommendation of one of our members here, and it's been in my EDC ever since. Good low-profile design, fits in the pocket easily, simple to deploy. Wish it was a little thinner, but it's really a good carry option. I literally don't leave home without it.

Important to note that pepper spray doesn't affect everyone the same way, so don't expect instant incapacitation and be ready to go hands on if needed.

If you are going to use it you may wish to expose yourself to it before so you know how it feels ! When you spray someone you do get exposed as well and at least you know how to deal with it .

I've been pepper sprayed and maced a few times as part of training/volunteering. Hurts and might deter some attackers, but not sure enough for me to trust. I was able to power through the pepper spray and tackle my opponent. We both ended up covered with it and blowing snot everywhere, but if it had been a real attack, he would have been dead.

I've considered carrying it for dog, but stopped when I witnessed full strength spray directly to the face fail to even slow down a pit bull attack.

Been carrying Mark III size pepper spray for several years. Carry in nylon pouch on belt next to spare mag carrier. Because I was already carrying a 15 round mag on that side, the pepper spray next to it was unnoticeable.

I want as many self-defense options as possible available to me, including less-than-lethal. ("If you only have a hammer, you treat everything like a nail".)

Cheers.

It affects everyone differently.

When I got sprayed it hurt. It hurt bad. With that said I was still able to run an entire course and do hands on defense tactics with other individuals. So you can fight through it if you're determined.

Like @PORSCHE928S4 said. If you're going to carry it I highly suggest you get sprayed as well. There is a high likelihood that if you use it, you also will be exposed. Whether it be getting rushed, hands on, wind change, etc.

I don't currently carry it. Simply cause I don't want to be exposed to it. With that said if you come at me with a knife I'm not going to spray the threat. I'm going to neutralize the threat forever.

I'd carry a TQ, extra mag, fixed blade or flashlight before I chose OC. But that's just me.

I ditto all of you that have been hot with the stuff for training. I have too, and I remember it being sh!tty, but not something I couldn't fight through.

I ditto all of you that have been hot with the stuff for training. I have too, and I remember it being sh!tty, but not something I couldn't fight through.
Yup! So if the suspect is determined than OC has the potential of giving you a few more seconds (and yes those count) but that's about it. Haha.

Seemed pretty effective against this fruit cake. Does anyone here carry pepper spray/mace? And if so, what do you carry and how do you carry it?

I was attacked recently and used POM pepper spray which incapacitated the attacker instantly. I didn't smell it or notice it in any way on myself. It's a stream. I would suggest not buying a gel of any brand. Gel is known to take longer (30 seconds is what I've heard) and is not as effective. After my experience I gifted it to extended family and my family carries it. It's tiny and fits in pocket.

His choice (to use the spray vs his firearm).

However, let it be known that he still could have been gravely injured (or killed). IF, his attacker had the "dedication".

Have you been sprayed before?

Yes.

Instant incapacitation.
Dream on......so then, although being "uncomfortable," it isn't always gonna end like it did here.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Just to clarify - and I think many have alluded to this already - OC spray is NOT an alternative to deadly force when faced with a threat of death or grave bodily harm to myself or other innocents. In those circumstances the attacker has already escalated the situation to the use of deadly force. I'm NOT going to try less than lethal defense options in that type of situation.

But not all attacks meet the threshold of a threat of grave bodily harm or death - so using a firearm would not be a legally defensible use of deadly force in those circumstances.

For me, OC spray is an option to deploy in a confrontation (probably verbal or minimal "hands-on") so I can have those few extra seconds to retreat and escape the situation.

Someone comes at me with a weapon and there is no option for successful retreat/escape, OC spray is not the appropriate self-defense option. Multiple attackers (disparity of force) come at me expressing (verbally or nonverbally) intent to harm and there is no option for successful retreat/escape, OC spray is not the appropriate self-defense option.

Some pandhandler follows me asking for money, then grabs my arm to turn me around toward him - rather than get into a fist fight (especially at my age) OC spray is a good option. And, from my perspective - the probability of this situation happening is much greater than an attack threatening death or grave bodily harm.

My opinion. Take what you like and leave there rest.

Good discussion about a relevant topic. One of the reasons I like NWFA.

Cheers.

Just to clarify - and I think many have alluded to this already - OC spray is NOT an alternative to deadly force when faced with a threat of death or grave bodily harm to myself or other innocents. In those circumstances the attacker has already escalated the situation to the use of deadly force. I'm NOT going to try less than lethal defense options in that type of situation.

But not all attacks meet the threshold of a threat of grave bodily harm or death - so using a firearm would not be a legally defensible use of deadly force in those circumstances.

For me, OC spray is an option to deploy in a confrontation (probably verbal or minimal "hands-on") so I can have those few extra seconds to retreat and escape the situation.

Someone comes at me with a weapon and there is no option for successful retreat/escape, OC spray is not the appropriate self-defense option. Multiple attackers (disparity of force) come at me expressing (verbally or nonverbally) intent to harm and there is no option for successful retreat/escape, OC spray is not the appropriate self-defense option.

Some pandhandler follows me asking for money, then grabs my arm to turn me around toward him - rather than get into a fist fight (especially at my age) OC spray is a good option. And, from my perspective - the probability of this situation happening is much greater than an attack threatening death or grave bodily harm.

Cheers.
There may be some variation by state, but imho deploying pepper spray in a verbal confrontation would likely be seen as an escalation. If the situation devolves into life threatening violence, you could be seen as the aggressor. Once someone goes hands on you'd have a much better story to tell.

Pepper spray may be a useful tool in some circumstances, but I don't know that most people are going to be capable of choosing from multiple options in a high stress situation. Stay aware, avoid, deescalate are all better options.

Cheers.
Yep it's a tool in the toolbox to be used when appropriate. Some situations are clearly justified for use of deadly force. Some are grey area. And tons don't rise to the level where use of deadly force is justified. For those where you think deadly force is not justified according to the law, Imo it's wise to avoid a legal nightmare when a simple use of pepper spray can stop the attack and you can get the heck out of there.

Also seeing one of the comments here I would be careful about who you listen to. Those who say you will get sprayed yourself have not tried every type of pepper spray imo. But they feel they are experts apparently. I felt or smelled nothing. Even on my hands. Also they say you can fight through it. Maybe some people with gel (I bet lots can with gel, based on videos I've seen but just a guess) maybe some people with spray or stream Idont know. In my experience it was over as soon as spray was used. Seems to me if they were somehow able to fight through it and produce a previously hidden weapon for example they would be at a huge, huge, disadvantage.

Last Edited:

Almost always have some with me. For long time I have preferred the one MACE makes that is like a small pistol. Just feels natural to hold and use and the gun is made so the cartridge is replaceable. Also keep some of the larger Bear stuff in each vehicle.
Now the downside. In real life its VERY hit and miss. I have seen people fall on the ground screaming, I have seen people act like nothing happened to them. Still have a scar on one arm where the kook just lowed his head and charged me and bit me. Had to use a Sap on him to make him let go. So on 2 legged? Better than nothing but often does not work. Now on 4 legged? I have never had it fail me. Used it many times walking my dog and some stray wants to make a meal out of mine. It has never failed here and I love it for that. I am a BIG time dog person and don't want to harm another dog due to its owner being a moron. Stuff take the fight out of them and does no harm.
The stuff that is a stream seems best. Less likely you end up with it in your face like if you use the fog kind. The gel that sticks also seems to not be getting good reviews although I have not yet tried it.

Almost always have some with me. For long time I have preferred the one MACE makes that is like a small pistol. Just feels natural to hold and use and the gun is made so the cartridge is replaceable. Also keep some of the larger Bear stuff in each vehicle.
Now the downside. In real life its VERY hit and miss. I have seen people fall on the ground screaming, I have seen people act like nothing happened to them. Still have a scar on one arm where the kook just lowed his head and charged me and bit me. Had to use a Sap on him to make him let go. So on 2 legged? Better than nothing but often does not work. Now on 4 legged? I have never had it fail me. Used it many times walking my dog and some stray wants to make a meal out of mine. It has never failed here and I love it for that. I am a BIG time dog person and don't want to harm another dog due to its owner being a moron. Stuff take the fight out of them and does no harm.
The stuff that is a stream seems best. Less likely you end up with it in your face like if you use the fog kind. The gel that sticks also seems to not be getting good reviews although I have not yet tried it.
Skip to 7:03 mark to see one example of ineffectiveness of gel.

Skip to 7:03 mark to see one example of ineffectiveness of gel.

Have seen it in real life enough times to know not to depend on it. All I have to do is look at that scar on my arm from LONG ago to remember it does not always have the effect many think it does. :(
This is why its not the only thing I carry of course. It has saved many a dog being badly hurt or killed though which is great to me. I do NOT want to have to put down some dog only because it has an idiot for an owner. Given a choice between them biting my dog and me putting them down? No problem with putting one down if I have too. Still far prefer to just have them (other dog) decide its not worth making a meal out of my dog.

I think pepper spray is better than nothing and might give you a split second to get away , it does not work on everyone and can just as easily
put someone in a rage. I have been sprayed and have seen others sprayed and yes it hurts and effects eyesight but everyone I have seen sprayed including
myself was still able to fight back and complete the training.
I think pepper spray can be a good tool just know it has limitations ,If an attacker is under the influence of drugs or alcohol it may be useless

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews