JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll do the gun/cigar pic thing as well.

I LOVE the Tabak Especial from Drew Estates, BUT, the ALSO have a great 'everyday' smoke with the same flavor profile. A little looser in the roll, but only around $70 for a box of 20. Coffee, chocolate, and a sweetened tip.

But I also really like the Cohiba (red dot) Black, and the Rocky Patel 15th Anniversary. Both maduros; delicious and smooooth. (I think I may have a problem) :p

(Sig Tacops in .45 w/ Magpul grips)
IMG_20190430_145627__01.jpg

I really dig the CAO Amazon Basin and the Flathead series. Affordable and I don't think I've had a bad one. The Amazon Basin, only pain in the butt is their tobacco leaf stem they use as a wrapper of sorts, can be a pain in the butt to remove sometimes.

That's a pricey Davidoff, and yeah they run expensive. The people that I know that stick to them exclusively tend to do so because they are so consistent in flavor profile and construction. I'd tend to agree, I don't think I've ever had one with a plug or burned poorly.
Sometimes you can get lucky and pull the entire stem out. Sometimes not. It's all part of the experience and it happens across all brands of cigars. Sometimes if the draw is too tight and massaging it doesn't help, a long thin punch will do the trick. I use a long thin Phillips electronics screw driver. A couple of punches down the middle and viola... Elegance is not my first name but I get bubblegum done.

Sometimes you can get lucky and pull the entire stem out. Sometimes not. It's all part of the experience and it happens across all brands of cigars. Sometimes if the draw is too tight and massaging it doesn't help, a long thin punch will do the trick. I use a long thin Phillips electronics screw driver. A couple of punches down the middle and viola... Elegance is not my first name but I get bubblegum done.

The Amazon Basin uses a tobacco leaf stem and ties it in a knot of sorts as a psuedo band so it's a component of each cigar. It doesn't impact the draw (or flavor unless you plan on smoking it, not recommended!)

As for plugs, I use a PerfecDraw, they go on sale occasionally, still worth it at full price imo. The trade off to smoking quality handmade cigars is that they are handmade.

One of the worst plugs I ever had was in a Cuban Cohiba Maduro I got in Vienna, Austria on my honeymoon didn't have my PerfectDraw on me, it ranked up there with one of the worst smoking experiences/price paid I ever had!

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fhalfwheel.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F08%2FCAO-Amazon-Basin-1.jpg

The Amazon Basin uses a tobacco leaf stem and ties it in a knot of sorts as a psuedo band so it's a component of each cigar. It doesn't impact the draw (or flavor unless you plan on smoking it, not recommended!)

As for plugs, I use a PerfecDraw, they go on sale occasionally, still worth it at full price imo. The trade off to smoking quality handmade cigars is that they are handmade.

One of the worst plugs I ever had was in a Cuban Cohiba Maduro I got in Vienna, Austria on my honeymoon didn't have my PerfectDraw on me, it ranked up there with one of the worst smoking experiences/price paid I ever had!

View attachment 574868
Not all Cuban cigars are "good", as the myth tends to be perpetrated. But that's one cool looking smoke. I would have bought it too!

Not all Cuban cigars are "good", as the myth tends to be perpetrated. But that's one cool looking smoke. I would have bought it too!

Agreed on the Cubans, I think they have a unique flavor profile, I dig the Partagas Serie D a lot. But I have had a lot of great stuff that's not Cuban and much easier to get.

The Amazon Basin from CAO is great if you can find them, and reasonably priced. Fairly unique flavor profile, very earthy. Great pairing with a bold coffee, in my experience.

Here's my tupperdor setup. I have 4x236oz Sistema Kilp-it tupperware containers that I put cedar spanish cedar trays in along with 65% boveda packs and a hygrometer.

Two of the containers are basically bulk storage of box buys, and/or cigars I have have 5+ of. Of the other two containers, one is a "going to smoke soon" container and the other contains mostly lower budget cigars that I don't mind giving guests that aren't necessarily cigar aficionados.

I have all but given away all my super budget stuff, but these still aren't so expensive I'd mind too much if the person didn't finish it.

One of the more "bulk" containers has a different humidification device (a Xikar gel humidification jar) that runs a little higher 68/69% which is where my Cubans sit.

Most everything sits around 65-67% r.h. and mid-60s (they all reside in a cupboard in a house with heat/ac so doesn't fluctuate much).

I generally smoke in the evening, occasionally a weekend morning so if I know I'm going to smoke I'll pull one out in the morning and dry box it in an empty cigar box for the day while I'm at work. Although I don't usually have burn issues with stuff coming right out of the "smoke soon" box.

I usually open each box every couple of weeks to get a nice blast of tobacco goodness and circulate air, but have gone longer with no detrimental affects. I have been doing this for a couple years now. I may eventually upgrade to a NewAir wineador but these have been sufficient for my stash up to this point.

IMG_1601.jpg

Tell us about them. Is that a box full of cigars or am I just happy to see you?:D

Shotgun is a Benelli 12 gauge Ethos with the engraved receiver finish and walnut stock. Pulls primary duty as a clay shooter but made for upland hunting.

Cigars are the Viaje limited release Super Shot. The owner is a big time clay shooter and wanted a cigar he could smoke between rounds. They are Nicaraguan Criollo tobacco and come in two sizes 10 gauge and 12 gauge. Only about 3.5" long 52 ring gauge.

They come in those boxes that look like old fashioned shotgun shells with 25 per

Shotgun is a Benelli 12 gauge Ethos with the engraved receiver finish and walnut stock. Pulls primary duty as a clay shooter but made for upland hunting.

Cigars are the Viaje limited release Super Shot. The owner is a big time clay shooter and wanted a cigar he could smoke between rounds. They are Nicaraguan Criollo tobacco and come in two sizes 10 gauge and 12 gauge. Only about 3.5" long 52 ring gauge.

They come in those boxes that look like old fashioned shotgun shells with 25 per
That sounds like an awesome smoke. Next on my list! Thanks!

Forgot to add, I'm not a wimp with nicotine at all but these things are STRONG!
Turns out they were a limited production. They made another batch for 2019 but hard to tell when they will be released. If you want to come off some of them PM with a price. Otherwise I would hold on to them and smoke them one at a time. :)

I enjoyed a Rocky Patel Freedom this morning before heading out:

rp1.jpg

rp2.jpg

I must say, it was a damn fine smoke. Granted, I've liked always liked RP, but this one really was lovely. (I've been working unbelievably hellacious hours lately, but an espresso, followed by smoking this stick on the back porch, listening to the birds sing, and thoughts of weekend fun with funky friends ... it is good. :D)

Wife is out of town so enjoying a rare morning smoke before starting the chores. Smoke is a Aganorsa Leaf Signature Selection (previously Casa Fernandez). This is the second vitola of this cigar I have tried. A lot different from my typical Maduro profile. Quite a bit more green/vegetal/hay but still a lot of flavor that sometimes these lighter blends lack. I'd stick with the larger ring gauges but the smaller one here is pretty good too.

If you feel like mixing things up I say grab a couple of these, really enjoy them.

Firearm is my latest pistol purchase new summer daily carry, Sig P365. I have primarily been focusing on semi-auto rifles since WAs ridiculous I-1639 goes into effect in two months.

BED6432A-1D84-41C9-86F4-71DACD032734.jpeg

My dad came to visit today for a bit since I haven't seen him in a while. I usually pick something out of the tupperdors for him since he likes cigars but isn't a big cigar smoker so isn't as familiar with the brands/flavor profiles. I think he lets me pick cause I always give him something special, hah!

I'll share what he had in another post (even I haven't had a chance to smoke one yet). For me I had the La Flor Dominicana La Nox in the Toro vitola.

I bought a 5 pack of these a couple years ago and went through them one winter quickly. Liked them enough that I'd sit in the garage with the side door open and smoke'm with a coffee in the evening. That's dedication cause these are a decently long smoke, especially when it's cold! I figured it was box worthy so picked one up. One thing I have noticed with LFDs cigars is issues with the wrappers coming undone. Seems to be a common problem and while the 5 pack I bought was fine the box had a fair amount of cracked wrappers/ones that come slightly undone during the smoke. Not the greatest construction/quality control at this price point.

Pistol is a Sig P226 Mk25 with a threaded barrel and Streamlight TLR-2. This usually does duty as my night stand gun. Yes the barrel is thread left hand in a metric thread pitch:mad:

02DD24B3-D935-4E17-A19E-FDBC02AC32A1.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads