JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here's my favorite:

7BD83BBC-C013-4573-8A9A-7C01DC3A1503.jpeg

Before this thread gets into the weeds, let's discuss the differences between hand made long-filler cigars and short filler machine made cigars.

Hand made long-filler cigars contain the following:
  • Naturally fermented tobacco
  • No added chemicals
  • Hand rolled, form pressed or box pressed
  • No artificial flavors or ingredients...ALL NATURAL.
  • Made by fine, hard working people

Machine made cigars contain the following:
  • Short filler machine chopped/shredded/highly processed tobacco
  • Chemical additives (many, like cigarettes) and artificial favors (many)
  • Floor sweepings which may include insects and rat droppings (hey, it's a buffet!)
While machine made cigars (if you can call them that) are always perfect in appearance due to their machine processing, hand made long-filler cigars may contain wrapper imperfections and blemishes and the occasional stem included in the filler. Why, because THEY'RE ALL NATURAL.

Lighting etiquette:

Hand made long-filler cigars:
  • Cut the end off with a cigar cutter, cigar scissor or knife. Some people prefer to use their teeth. (People from WV can use their 'tooth'.)
  • Put the freshly cut end in your mouth. Light the opposite end(very important, pay attention) while gently puffing.
  • Be sure to use wooden matches or a gas flamed lighter with adequate flame.
  • Never use matches or Zippo lighters to light a proper cigar, otherwise you will taste the chemicals and fuel for the duration of the smoke.
  • Enjoy.

Machine made cigars:
  • Open up cardboard package.
  • Remove plastic shrink wrap from cigar
  • Light the far end with a chemically treated match(the kerosene flavor will blend)
  • Go straight to the nearest gender neutral establishment, order a PBR and be sure to dress appropriately (lumberjack or tutu)

Davidoff is a well made premium cigar. The brand goes back quite a ways back and has a rich legacy. Are they good cigars? Yes, but all cigars are dog rockets IMHO. If you get a chance to buy one, smoke it. Some people only smoke Davidoff's like some people only smoke Opus-X, Ashton's, Padron Anniversario's or other high end boutique cigars. I have three dollar sticks that to me smoke as well as any premium smoke. That being said, a cigar is subjective to the individual who is smoking it.
To me, Mexican tobacco such as LaFinca (LaStinka) is a horrible, harsh and peppery smoke. However I have had clients in the past who would buy them by the bundle every month and smoke nothing else. Despite my pleadings to spend a few bucks more on a different bundle, my pallet didn't matter to those folks. Like I said, if you come a cross a Davidoff, give it a try. They can be complex in flavor and quite enjoyable. They're great for a special occasion or one off smoke but for me, meh. When it comes to cigars, your mileage most certainly will vary.
Well I finally got one ($18):eek:,Ill have to wait for an occasion to smoke it. Maybe get some Scotch.

Well I finally got one ($18):eek:,Ill have to wait for an occasion to smoke it. Maybe get some Scotch.
Yeah they get a bit spendy, lol. Enjoy though!
Cigars can also be enjoyed with beverages other than alcohol. Fruit juices (stay away from citrus though) are quite complimentary to a nice cigar. I've often grabbed one of my kids fruit punch juice pouches on my way out to the patio for a smoke.

I remember smoking Swisher Sweets when I was in college.
View attachment 574632
Honestly these are actually one of the first cigars I ever tried smoking. I was a young buck PFC up on the border at Camp Gates and we had a small PX there. I mean, small. It was about the size of a bathroom. The guy would come up and keep it open for a few hours a week. It would be filled with interesting things, amongst them were some of those Swisher's, which I tried once. Never having been a smoker of any kind, I tried them out of boredom. I could barely get through the first one. I had also tried Redman which I thought smelled great but made me turn green. I still think it smells great though. Great experience, good times, lol.

And that is exactly what I was told a year and a half ago, when I bought an assortment of cigars in the Caribbean, took them on the ship, and was promptly told do not attempt to leave the ship with Cuban cigars in an American port. I ended up giving them to my cabin boy, as I couldn't get them smoked in a timely manner.

Fast forward a year. Bought some more, was told now they are completely legal, so I brung'em home.:cool:

View attachment 572958

The irony is, now that I can get them occasionally, I almost never smoke them. In the old days, I used to love Nicaraguan, Cuban-seed cigars. Had auto-delivery from Thompson's.

Now THOSE are real Cohibas! I've only had 1 so far, a buddy gave it to me. I love him and HATE him for it. ;)

What did ya get? I enjoy a Davidoff occasionally, have a few boxes in the tupperdors. I enjoy their Colorado Claro and a couple others, but generally think they are somewhat overpriced.
Famous 75th anniversary. Ive got guns cost less than box of those things. I usualy stick with mid priced CAO, Hoyo and the likes.

Yeah they get a bit spendy, lol. Enjoy though!
Cigars can also be enjoyed with beverages other than alcohol. Fruit juices (stay away from citrus though) are quite complimentary to a nice cigar. I've often grabbed one of my kids fruit punch juice pouches on my way out to the patio for a smoke.
Afternoon its Mnt Dew for me:D. Maybe an ice tea.

Famous 75th anniversary. Ive got guns cost less than box of those things. I usualy stick with mid priced CAO, Hoyo and the likes.

I really dig the CAO Amazon Basin and the Flathead series. Affordable and I don't think I've had a bad one. The Amazon Basin, only pain in the butt is their tobacco leaf stem they use as a wrapper of sorts, can be a pain in the butt to remove sometimes.

That's a pricey Davidoff, and yeah they run expensive. The people that I know that stick to them exclusively tend to do so because they are so consistent in flavor profile and construction. I'd tend to agree, I don't think I've ever had one with a plug or burned poorly.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews