JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's been way too long since I've had a good cigar. Shame there aren't more places to smoke em around town :(

It's been way too long since I've had a good cigar. Shame there aren't more places to smoke em around town :(
Good Morning Joe. Nice site you are running here by the way. You have collected some amazingly friendly people as a result of your style. Well done. This instant sub forum as an example. Cigar invented it yesterday. Other places there would have been a committee, voting etc.

Ok back to places to smoke. There are a few but they are spaced out. If anyone has more current info, jump in.

West Side on Canyon Road at the Shilo Inn. Upstairs bar. Used to be the Mark.
Good pours, good ventilation, good company. Probably the best place for a group gathering

Downtown Kell's Irish Restaurant in the basement. Haven't been in a while.

Downtown in the back room of El Gaucho. Go for happy hour, get settled and head in. It's small so hard to plan on it being available.

My old mans birthday is coming up. He'll be 93.
He mostly likes a pipe now. But if you can suggest a few --
I'd have him delivered.

He'd chew me out if you suggest a $25 cigar and I send it. Maybe $2-10 ?

TIA

I'd have him delivered.

TIA
Not knowing what blend he smokes in his pipe, I would suggest something safe like a Macanudo or Monte Cruz sun grown. They're on the lighter side, flavorful and should run under $10 per stick, depending on size. If
your local shop doesn't carry those then maybe a nice Arture Fuente in a natural wrapper. The basic Fuente's are affordable and good smokes.

One thing to consider is ring gauge. The shorter and thinner the cigar, the hotter it will burn. You will get more heat than flavor. The thicker, larger cigars burn
cooler and slower thus providing more flavor and less heat when you draw on it. If it takes him about 20
minutes to burn his pipe, then maybe something like a robusto or Toro size will work for him. A churchill sized cigar is an enjoyable smoke but it takes quite a while to get through one. Also consider a Doble Corona or double Corona size.
Also, talk to your local tobacconist. What each shop has on hand varies greatly. If you can tell them what he likes in his pipe they can likely make an excellent recommendation.

Hit up the chamber at 9900. Indoor cigar bar with full service bar and menu. Friendly staff and they let you bring in your own smokes or buy one there. Arturo, my fathers, montecristo, Oliva, and others always stocked.

Any one know of a good tobacco shop in the Salem area, specifically for Pipe tobacco and decent pipes? There was a place in down town PDX, but last time I was in, you couldn't even smell test the tobacco, and the prices had quadrupled! I know Timber valley in Beaverton, but their selection isn't all that great, and is usually a little too wet!
Short of Mail order, any other options? What happened to all the pipe smokers any way?

Any one know of a good tobacco shop in the Salem area, specifically for Pipe tobacco and decent pipes? There was a place in down town PDX, but last time I was in, you couldn't even smell test the tobacco, and the prices had quadrupled! I know Timber valley in Beaverton, but their selection isn't all that great, and is usually a little too wet!
Short of Mail order, any other options? What happened to all the pipe smokers any way?

Sorry to deflect from the cigar intention of this thread...

Pipe smokers are a dying breed. A little more skill and patience than lighting a cigarette or even a cigar in my limited experience.

I haven't had much luck in the local market. My only thought would be Rich's up in PDXland.

I have had good luck with 4noggins online. Some of their house blends are tasty in my simple opinion. Prices are fair in my opinion.

I'd have him delivered.

TIA

You would have your old man delivered? Not sure that I could handle a day of 93 year old wisdom..

If you would like, I can send out a pipe, some tobacco selections for said pipe and a few cigars in addition.

93 ain't no joke, if it brought a smile to his face it would bring a smile to my dour face.

PM if you are interested.

Steve

I'd have him delivered.

TIA
Check out JR. Their customer service reps are pretty knowledgeable about all things tobacco. (I used to work for them in a past life).
Search pipe toba

@chukar
Thank you for the kind offer. I think my dad is set for pipe & tobacco.
About 3 years ago when he visited, I took him to Pauls (Beaverton on B-H)
and Timber Valley (Beaverton, Walker) Bought him half a dozen, including for the grins, a MacArther Corn-Cob.

I think I got these hints from NWFA.

He lives in FLA near Weeki Wachee - and enjoys his afternoon "puff"

I was thinking a nice cigar would be a treat/change.

@cigars -
I had sent him a selection of Capt Black
Captain Black Original (Regular) - Pipes and Cigars
They ran a special - 6 flavors half price kind of deal.
And I recall him using half/half when I was growing up.
(one stuck in my head memory, is my dad with a cigarette. I really only have one - and I was 5-6 - so unusual it is still with me)

Smoking a caldwell today in the shop, for a semi "boutique" brand they have quite a few options. Picked up a handful last time I was @ the Cigar Chapel in Bend. 005.jpg

I absolutely love Padrons.

A 3000 or 4000 in Maduro please. Yes, they make finer, but I prefer this line...

I once smoked a cigar (along with my Granddaughter who was hmmm, maybe 10) with the owner of Padron's once at the 'Smoke Ring' a cigar shop in Webster, Texas. He was agah\

She and I met this cigar giant and he was a little taken aback at my/the allowance of my Granddaughter to smoke a cigar.

A bit of background.

At one point, I extolled to her the flavor of great cigars (she was 7) while we were hiking the wilderness. And too, at the time, I was chugging on a great cigar. She asked 'can I have a pull on that cigar'. Me, the indulgent Grandpa, said 'sure'. She liked it...immensely. It was a small struggle to get it back from her...

She then asked: When can I have my own cigar?

I gave this a bit of consideration.

So, next hike I brought a cigar for her.

She not only smoked it down to a nub, but wanted another.

From that day forward, when we went hiking, kayaking, shooting, what have you, she smoked cigars with me until one day she, her sister, mother, moved away due to divorce.

My cigar smoking buddy was gone.

At this point, she's a college graduate, doesn't smoke and neither do I, though yes, I miss it and her...

All these years of smoking cigars and Ive never had a Davidoff:confused:. Am I missing anything?
Davidoff is a well made premium cigar. The brand goes back quite a ways back and has a rich legacy. Are they good cigars? Yes, but all cigars are dog rockets IMHO. If you get a chance to buy one, smoke it. Some people only smoke Davidoff's like some people only smoke Opus-X, Ashton's, Padron Anniversario's or other high end boutique cigars. I have three dollar sticks that to me smoke as well as any premium smoke. That being said, a cigar is subjective to the individual who is smoking it.
To me, Mexican tobacco such as LaFinca (LaStinka) is a horrible, harsh and peppery smoke. However I have had clients in the past who would buy them by the bundle every month and smoke nothing else. Despite my pleadings to spend a few bucks more on a different bundle, my pallet didn't matter to those folks. Like I said, if you come a cross a Davidoff, give it a try. They can be complex in flavor and quite enjoyable. They're great for a special occasion or one off smoke but for me, meh. When it comes to cigars, your mileage most certainly will vary.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top