JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Having worked around these machines I have extreme doubts we are getting the whole story here. The machine is kept in a special area for just this reason. I have never seen one where the people going into the outer area did not walk through a metal detector before getting close to the machine. Not to mention that if she did make it past this with the gun she would have felt the machine trying to pull it away from her LONG before she got on the table. The machine will pick up things like O2 tanks and run them across a room. One RN who had to perform CPR on a patient in the room could feel it trying to pull her bra off her it was pulling so hard on the catch. If the woman managed to get the gun into the room I would suspect they felt it being ripped away and tried to grab it and hold onto it pulling the trigger. This one should be fun to see the lawyers with :s0140:

Having worked around these machines I have extreme doubts we are getting the whole story here. The machine is kept in a special area for just this reason. I have never seen one where the people going into the outer area did not walk through a metal detector before getting close to the machine. Not to mention that if she did make it past this with the gun she would have felt the machine trying to pull it away from her LONG before she got on the table. The machine will pick up things like O2 tanks and run them across a room. One RN who had to perform CPR on a patient in the room could feel it trying to pull her bra off her it was pulling so hard on the catch. If the woman managed to get the gun into the room I would suspect they felt it being ripped away and tried to grab it and hold onto it pulling the trigger. This one should be fun to see the lawyers with :s0140:
Well they certainly make a HUGE thing about asking, and stating WHY, you don't take metal into one of those things! And when I had mine a few years ago, you take your clothes off and wear a gown. Wifey just had an MRI on her shoulder, same procedure still.
"
"Spose it was in the prison purse and the shot came from the inside? And they were afraid to tell the story?
Cringe Factor:11

Agree there has to be more to the story than this. Either that or it happened somewhere with super lax safety protocols, because metal should never be in the same room as an MRI.

I did consulting for hospitals at one point. There was no point in me ever even going to the same floor with the MRI, yet during my orientation I got a mandatory discussion and signed a paper that basically said "No metal ever in the MRI room no matter what. No exceptions." It is that important, because it can kill you, no gun needed. Even the smaller machines can take a little foldy chair and crush you to death with it. The bigger ones can pull smaller objects clean through you if you get stuck between them and the machine.

Agree there has to be more to the story than this. Either that or it happened somewhere with super lax safety protocols, because metal should never be in the same room as an MRI.

I did consulting for hospitals at one point. There was no point in me ever even going to the same floor with the MRI, yet during my orientation I got a mandatory discussion and signed a paper that basically said "No metal ever in the MRI room no matter what. No exceptions." It is that important, because it can kill you, no gun needed. Even the smaller machines can take a little foldy chair and crush you to death with it. The bigger ones can pull smaller objects clean through you if you get stuck between them and the machine.
Wifey has several screws from a bunion (big toe problem) surgery. That didn't seem to cause a problem.

Wifey has several screws from a bunion (big toe problem) surgery. That didn't seem to cause a problem.
Most medical grade stainless or titanium alloys are non-magnetic. I am not sure if they are intentionally designed that way for this reason or if it is just a happy coincidence, but it is a super convenient property to have. I do not know if there are alloys that could be a problem with MRI machines, nor how they would track/detect that if there are. I am only aware of the general case where it is not an issue.

(this does not mean that those alloys will not show up on metal scanners/detectors. Those all work on magnetic resonance, not magnetic attraction. Non-ferrous metals still have a resonance even if they are not generating any attractive forces)

Most medical grade stainless or titanium alloys are non-magnetic. I am not sure if they are intentionally designed that way for this reason or if it is just a happy coincidence, but it is a super convenient property to have. I do not know if there are alloys that could be a problem with MRI machines, nor how they would track/detect that if there are. I am only aware of the general case where it is not an issue.

(this does not mean that those alloys will not show up on metal scanners/detectors. Those all work on magnetic resonance, not magnetic attraction. Non-ferrous metals still have a resonance even if they are not generating any attractive forces)
Ah, that's right. The higher quality of the stainless is less magnetic.

Ah, that's right. The higher quality of the stainless is less magnetic.
It isn't related to quality but the underlying matrix of elements that determine whether a stainless steel is magnetic. Lot's of good info if you google what makes steel magnetic or stainless steel magnetic. I am not up on the science of it all but have gleaned a little bit from being a knife steel junky.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top