JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
These days, whatever first responders do or don't do, afterwards somebody is going to sue them. So this may be lurking in the back of their brains as they try to figure out what to do. Which may sometimes result in paralysis.

This stuff keeps happening, over and over again. I fail to comprehend the motivation for this behavior. Millions and millions of people have AR15's who don't gather up the ammo and go down to a school for a jolly good shoot. Way back in 1966, they discovered that Charles Whitman had an undiagnosed brain tumor. But I haven't heard that cause once in the past 15 years or whenever this epidemic really began. What is it about mass shooters' brains that says, "Okay to do this." Those who say, "It's not the guns, it's mental health" I agree with, but WHAT HAS GONE WRONG WITH THESE INDIVIDUALS?
Good question, and I would say there is no definitive answer, but take your pick of social issues we face today that we didn't before the internet was a thing! Not saying it's the biggest thing, but it's surely pushed things along!

Here's what we know:

Police are people.

Here's something else we know:

People are fallible.

Police spend their average day dealing with drunks, punks, disorderly, domestic and traffic issues and drugs. It's rare for a policeman to be involved in a shooting incident, very rare. It's even more extremely rare for a police to be involved in a shooting incident where the criminal is armed with something that "outguns" the pistols they typically carry. It's even more extremely rare for police to be responding to an ongoing mass shooter event.

So again, my question remains, how would you advise police be trained to respond to a multiple times compounded extremely rare scenario so that it overcomes their instinct to possibly clam up and freeze and wait until they felt they had sufficient advantage to act?

They are not the Marines, they are not trained to run toward high rates of gunfire and kill the enemy with extreme prejudice.

Here's what I know - there's a lot of blame circling around and it all rests entirely on the person who made multiple decisions that culminated in murdering almost 20 people, including many children. Re-hashing how to respond better to a situation is fine, but at the end of the day it has already been ruled in court that police have no duty to protect people so acting like they do is pointless.

If we are going to throw around blame, throw it at politicians who continue to hamstring teachers and use laws to bar them from legally defending themselves.
No duty to protect? It's half of their motto.

Or the mom who went in and rescued her own kids after the cowards took the cuffs off of her. She was one of the only real men out there..
The officer who did that need to be brought up on charges for unlawful detainment among other charges! What kind of sick phuck does that?
Oh Yea, the same kind of sick phucks that stand around waiting for orders from their cuck chief!

I have not read much on this story yet. Were there any other cops that were criminally negligent beside that POS "commander"? With it being Texas and all, I wonder if some of the parents are going to get real justice on that commander?

How about a weak and stupid "commander". Impossible to say if individual officers had guts and/or training when their commander is a weak pussy that won't do anything "until more equipment arrives". The officers had to follow that coward's orders they had no choice unless they were to go rogue and lose their job.

Only person we can say acted with courage was the barber shop guy. The policy of making the highest ranked officer the "commander" is stupid. He is probably highest ranked from kissing you know what and covering his you know what. That is not the type of person you want in control of the situation. He should be licking stamps and going to conventions on "how to train the trainer's trainer" because that is probably all the doughnut eating lazy coward does. Keep him the hell out of the field!
False. Officers don't have to follow weak commanders and if they do they are just as much at fault. And if they were more worried about loosing their jobs then saving childrens lives then they chose the wrong profession.

The May 27 press conference came as several different law enforcement entities from across the state were called in by Uvalde police to not only assist in supplementing their police force, but to also provide extra protection to police and the mayor following heavy criticism and threats linked to their hour-long response time to the Robb Elementary School shooting, according to officials with the Texas Police Chiefs Association.

Im thinking of all my colleagues that died the last 2 years going into help patients without adequate protection but they did it anyway. All the rooms I've walked into with patients having diseases that could kill me. Tuberculosis, Covid, meningococcal meningitis, etc. And these police stayed outside, held the parents down trying to save their kids because they wouldn't try.

I know the police have an oath they say as well. Does it include throwing women and children out of the life boats to make sure you have leg room?

with all due respect to the LEO's here, have no respect for those guys cowering outside doing nothing. It would have been netter if they just went home

but take your pick of social issues we face today that we didn't before the internet was a thing!
TMI?

I think they changed that to, "To wait in the car because we are afraid of getting sued"
I wonder if this is why it is so rare to see traffic stops these days. "Could this be the stop that ends my career and pension? And possibly sends me to prison?" No doubt these real fears.

First sentence of first page of Beaverton Police policy manual.

12820F82-525A-4B2F-8628-194ED9DDAF38.png

I'm beginning to form the opinion that this may turn out to be a real "Come To Jesus" moment not only for a huge number of folks like us but also the majority of hard working and decent LEO's who have been focused on their jobs and communities, all of whom are now having their previous notions of policing in America ripped to shreds, meanwhile there are other communities of Americans just standing there like . . .

Welcome-To-The-Party.gif

I think the reference is to a SCOTUS ruling several years back. Maybe this will help:
Hence the saying, "you are your own first responder." Train like it. Be involved in your kids school and what happens there. Know the ins and outs. It's very obvious whether it be in Oregon or Texas or any other state…. You can't rely on police. You can only rely on yourself. Times are getting dark. Prepare and train hard. Your life and the lives of others may depend on it.

These days, whatever first responders do or don't do, afterwards somebody is going to sue them. So this may be lurking in the back of their brains as they try to figure out what to do. Which may sometimes result in paralysis.

This stuff keeps happening, over and over again. I fail to comprehend the motivation for this behavior. Millions and millions of people have AR15's who don't gather up the ammo and go down to a school for a jolly good shoot. Way back in 1966, they discovered that Charles Whitman had an undiagnosed brain tumor. But I haven't heard that cause once in the past 15 years or whenever this epidemic really began. What is it about mass shooters' brains that says, "Okay to do this." Those who say, "It's not the guns, it's mental health" I agree with, but WHAT HAS GONE WRONG WITH THESE INDIVIDUALS?
Gee, I wonder if convincing generation after generation that there is nothing after this life, this is it, may have an affect on the behavior of people who feel "they have nothing to lose."

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top