JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Great post, Trapdoor. I was planning on making an amusing comment about surviving by eating all my fat friends, but you got me thinking too seriously for that.
Hah! You reminded me of a story when I was traveling with my young son. A very large woman got on the plane and he appeared nervous about that. I told him not to worry, and if we went down, we'd need to eat her.

And here's a really, really good article on one person's experience post-Katrina. I've read it several times and I highly recommend it. It certainly gave me a new perspective on what to expect, even from police or military.

Thank you for sharing this one. That is a legit perspective as to what happened post-Katrina and honestly has solid parallels to what we could encounter post CSZ event.

It seems like forever ago, but here are a bunch of pics my colleagues and myself took immediately following Katrina.

Hurricane Katrina Picutres

Here's another link that discusses responsibility and accountability when the shtf, drawing examples from Katrina. There are some really good points made that could save someone a lot of grief.

Here's another personal experience during Katrina. It was recommended, but I have not yet read it.

I was a disaster relief volunteer during Katrina, but was located far enough away that I didn't see or experience the disaster. Heard lots of interesting stories during and since.

Last Edited:
So your stuck out on the roads, Your Car or truck is a good and fairly safe shelter and can serve as such for as long as you have food and water! Do you have a means of getting extra fuel so you can travel in it? I always think of what I would do if I got stuck in an area that was impassable by car or truck. How long would I stay with my rig? It is a mobile shelter, so it gives a few options! Having to cross any water is likely the end of that trip though, so hiking or biking old school is probably going to be the best plan! Beyond that, actually getting across any water is going to be a serious challenge! I really do not like the prospects of having to do that!

And there are some damn big rivers up north. If you have to cross what do you have to pay the Ferry Man with?
I work by the Airport and given a 9.0 event, I don't know a route I could get a vehicle to the water from work, let alone across it. Too many overpasses and bridges. Don't bet on the 205 bridge staying up let alone the Interstate. Best bet is shelter through period of aftermath then to Hoof it to nearest Marina, carry a can of gas siphoned out of your tank and use it to pay the guy with a working boat.

Just in case this hasn't been mentioned yet -

IMG_0633.JPG

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class