JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been thinking about this to long. The way I see it, I don think it is possible to prepair for all situations. I am very sure of my self and my ability to survive. However WHEN I will need to do this I think the only sure fire waybto survive will be with groups 20 to 50 in size. Tell me what you think. Should we build a group here locally of like minded people and get organized so that when it hits the fan we all go to the same places?

Just opinion, but the PC crowd has set up laws governing what they call Militia. If you try to group make sure you don't fit their idea of being one. Plus you will have to be logical about the people who join the group and make sure they don't have a violent agenda.

If self presevation is the goal you have to look at where the danger will come from first.

Have fun

jj

I agree that as wonderful as firearms are we need to be careful as to not become a little army. There are alot of different reasons that we may all need to band togther. If detroit dam broke the valley would be flooded. Stores would be gone, we would have no way to fly or truck in supplies a group of organized people meeting in the same place have a much better vhance of survival than heading tonthe fema camps with all of the unprepaired others and the over prepaired government

I also feel that it is crucial that it is just individuals and families. If the gov. Is involved even the local gov. This whole idea would be a complete waste of time. Even local gov. Cannot get anything done with any amount of efficiency

I have thought about this too, but am thinking more of a 'hunting and fishing' club. My grandpa & several of his buddies built a basic cabin w/ 2 units up in Wisconsin back in the 50's on land & on a lake. They allowed members only by vote of the board of directors. By the time I came around, the club had about 150 or so like minded memebers that fished the lake & hunted the area. It still is around to this day.
I've proposed a much smaller thing to immediate freinds & family that we can use for recreation, but can be outfitted for emergencies.
So no militia, just a hunting/fishing club.

You could always form a large <broken link removed> & expand the group's interests from there. CERT groups are all about preparing for disasters & you can get free training in SAR, triage, first-aid, communications, etc. These are useful skills that would serve any group of people. It may be a good nexus to organize around w/o being labeled something else.

Come up with a plan of survival. If the plan is good then people will join you. The hardest part will be determining the character of those who want to join. After that it will be hard to keep people involved. Times get rough and people have to work longer and harder for a living.

jj

I say no. A group that big is hard to feed and shelter and control. You couldn't fully trust everyone nor could anyone control a group that big because some would panic.

I have quietly developed a network of neighbors who are well armed and good people. A few close local relatives plan to come here because we have a good spot that's pretty easy or at least probable for a small group to defend.

We all have water because we all have wells and there's a clean year around creek through the neighborhood. Our paved road is a loop and we can defend both ends of it by taking turns on guard duty. We can block the road with farm machinery and put guards in the woods along the road.

Our plan is to stay put where we have the most resources and do our best to defend it.

Gunner, I like your idea. However "staying put" may not be an option. I think that we should all do what you have just said. But their may come a time when we need to go. A group of 20 or so would be for the stage after what you have just been talking about. I dont think that anyone want to leave. I certianly am not going to until I have no choice.

Gunner, I like your idea. However "staying put" may not be an option. I think that we should all do what you have just said. But their may come a time when we need to go. A group of 20 or so would be for the stage after what you have just been talking about. I dont think that anyone want to leave. I certianly am not going to until I have no choice.

What are you thinking when you say you have to move 20 armed people through neighborhoods unfriendly to armed people comming into them? What I am saying is if you have a retreat then be there before you have to run to it. If you don't have a retreat think about moving women and kids through a hostile neighborhood.

Some people see a group of armed people come into a neighborhood and they will shoot all they can. They can't afford to wait and see what their intentions are. Those armed the best will die first. SHTF is about survival, people better think hard about what they look like as they go through neighborhoods. Who is to say your not comming to rape,rob and kill??

Just a thought

jj

What are you thinking when you say you have to move 20 armed people through neighborhoods unfriendly to armed people comming into them? What I am saying is if you have a retreat then be there before you have to run to it. If you don't have a retreat think about moving women and kids through a hostile neighborhood.

Some people see a group of armed people come into a neighborhood and they will shoot all they can. They can't afford to wait and see what their intentions are. Those armed the best will die first. SHTF is about survival, people better think hard about what they look like as they go through neighborhoods. Who is to say your not comming to rape,rob and kill??

Just a thought

jj

I think this is an excellent point - if I saw a group of armed people moving through my neighborhood, my first thought isn't going to be "maybe this is just a group of wayward pilgrims". And, I doubt I'm going to be in a mood to chat them up to see what their intentions are.

It's also why I question (to some extent) choosing a long-arm as your SHTF-go-to gun - hard to walk around inconspicuously with a rifle slung over your shoulder.

We have been seperated as Americans by PC into hypenated groups and sub groups of progressive vs Conservative. Ask yourself how each group is going to look at those comming through??

A good FICTION book that gives a little view into disaster and what people think is Lucifers Hammer. People think they are going to travel but in reality travel will be very dangerouse. I don't think people will go far. If you could block a road to keep people out, would you?

jj

ie if you lived in The Dalles would you want half a million Portlanders moving into your area, eating your game? Plenty of places on I -84 they could stop all travel. Plenty of bridges on I-5.

I think this is an excellent point - if I saw a group of armed people moving through my neighborhood, my first thought isn't going to be "maybe this is just a group of wayward pilgrims". And, I doubt I'm going to be in a mood to chat them up to see what their intentions are.

It's also why I question (to some extent) choosing a long-arm as your SHTF-go-to gun - hard to walk around inconspicuously with a rifle slung over your shoulder.

Just a point here to be made. What you carry and how you carry it deserves more though than alot of people give it. If you decide on a handgun because you don't want people to see you as a threat then look at your rig and see yourself as others will see you.

A gunbelt or riggers belt is going to scream "gun" to anyone informed.

jj

We have been seperated as Americans by PC into hypenated groups and sub groups of progressive vs Conservative. Ask yourself how each group is going to look at those comming through??

A good FICTION book that gives a little view into disaster and what people think is Lucifers Hammer. People think they are going to travel but in reality travel will be very dangerouse. I don't think people will go far. If you could block a road to keep people out, would you?

jj

ie if you lived in The Dalles would you want half a million Portlanders moving into your area, eating your game? Plenty of places on I -84 they could stop all travel. Plenty of bridges on I-5.

yup going to have to pen them up !!:s0114::s0114:

this is exactly why we need to organize. A group of people in town armed to the teeth will be eliminated. I dont live town. If there is a meeting place out side of town all people should make there way there solo. The larger group is designed for longer term survival, after we are all out of the masses.
Bas for blocking the roads, yes yes yes. I bought a new stihl chainsaw last year. Even though I really didnt need a saw as big as I bought I bought a pro series 30inch bar saw just so that I could fall larger trees. 15 trees laying across a longing road will not stop people, however it will slow them down. And if they are non~freindlies it should give your guards enough time to warn the rest of the group.

I doubt in really bad times that outsiders are going to be let in when things are in short supply. Defenders will be 10 to 1 when push comes to shove. When they seperated us it was the acts of lemmings, pure self destruction. PC will get you killed.

jj

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads