JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can agree with bradley on some things, the "big" city will be like your worst nightmare in the right SHTF scenario, but just getting out is not enough, you'll have to have a place to go not just an area, a group members house/farm/BOL, for it to work.

If you move your group into someone elses area and hurt someone then you won't be able to barter or trade. You end up living on what you brought with you. You won't be able to walk freely as people will try to get revenge or secure their area. Survival takes alot more than guns and ammo.

People will booby trap you and thin you out then murder you as you get weak. Planning is essential.

jj

jj

I dont think that their is a correct answer. Tge situation will govern the correct answer. I honestly get a little disturbed with the people that think that because they are armed they can just take what they need. I personally will barter until I cannot barter anylonger. I will pull the trigger if I have to, but that is the ABSOLUTE last resort.

jj I agree a group needs to work with the others around them for all to be strong, to those out there ask what would you do if the people who live on the next hill over that you could see/communicate with were being hit/robbed and what you would want them to do for you. Setting up local communication would be a benefit for all.

Best to not put yourself in a position to pull the trigger. Some people are willing to do anything for their survival. Only you know what character you have for sure so what you are willing to do should set up in your plan. Thinking out loud again, most will die off fairly quickly. If you plan to last then what will you do to last longer than them?

three minutes without air

three days without water

three weeks without food

In general this is true so if you outlast them you won't have to kill them?

jj

People will work together as long as there is no violence. Outsiders depend on what they can kill and steal. Outsiders won't last long as good people clean up the deadly snakes that hurt people.

jj

See if you can find any of Mel Tappens books. He was a survivalist in the 70s and had a great following. I was a survivalist back then, I am old now so it must have worked LOL LOL

jj

Ok my thoughts on this and it will be short cause others have posted some really great points. Recall the TV show "Jericho". If you have something someone else wants they will group together to try and take what you have.

As for grouping up. good idea to some points. But when it comes the SHTF I will do what ever it takes to protect my family. If it makes it easyer to do so I beleave. then so be it.

How will you protect your familly when you get killed for stealing food? When you make a determination that yours is the only family that is to live then you better have the power and abilty to murder your neighbors for food. They used to hang men from trees for doing that. If there is any society left their first need will be security and they will enforce the laws. Ride like an outlaw then die like one.

jj

Those who have been living off the work of others are going to find it hard to survive. You are going to have to work hard to get by. Nobody is going to tell you that your hard work needs to be shared with others, those days will end. PC will die quickly from hunger just like those who try to use it.

jj

Very powerful and true words jim. I am a very caring, loving person. I am not soft, however I do love people. I will help anyone with a NEED, as long as me and mine are taken care of. I think that we should all practice bartering. Even if shtf never happens, we most certianly will see our monitary system

How will you protect your familly when you get killed for stealing food? When you make a determination that yours is the only family that is to live then you better have the power and abilty to murder your neighbors for food. They used to hang men from trees for doing that. If there is any society left their first need will be security and they will enforce the laws. Ride like an outlaw then die like one.

jj

Good question, but my GF and I along with a few others (extended family) have been preparing. Canned goods, powdered milk, MRE's, water and water filtration, bullets, powder, primers, raw lead, silver and gold, most are things that can store for more then a year or so. Im set up to defend quiet well, but as I said before If being and a group to help protect my family Im for it.

Just opinion, but the PC crowd has set up laws governing what they call Militia. If you try to group make sure you don't fit their idea of being one. Plus you will have to be logical about the people who join the group and make sure they don't have a violent agenda.

If self presevation is the goal you have to look at where the danger will come from first.

Have fun

jj

I thought the right to assemble (no matter what your beliefs) and/or the right to form MILITIA was garunteed in the constitution......?

And as for doing ANYTHING to survive/protect your family.....I dont think I could ever kill an innocent person to take what we need to survive. It could be someone else's daddy or mommy. I couldnt do it. Now if they attack me, all bets are off.

I'm staying put even though we are only blocks from the vast wilderness which separates the Rogue Valley and the Ocean. We are on the very edge of it.

If I head out there with my wife and our dogs I couldn't leave my grown kids etc. We would be in far more danger from the elements than we would trying to defend this place.

If I were going to build a SHTF place in the woods it would look just like what I already have including the water supply and the ability to block vehicles.

Everything I have which could help us is right here. If we split, we'd have to leave food and tools and shelter and so on. If someone burned the house down we'd either go to a neighbors' or build a new shelter right here.

Our house is pretty much fire resistant. It has a fireproof roof and cement (Hardy Plank) siding. It has brush and large trees cleared well back. We have no really close by neighbors, but we have three or four houses "within sight."

The only reason I'd leave (temporarily) would be if some neighbors and I decided we had some business to attend to if you know what I mean.

I think that the minute you leave your house and belongings and become a traveler (probably on foot because of gas shortages and blocked roads) you become a target not only for predators but also good people who are afraid of groups of strangers.

The supplies we could carry wouldn't last long.

$.02

I say no. A group that big is hard to feed and shelter and control. You couldn't fully trust everyone nor could anyone control a group that big because some would panic.

I have quietly developed a network of neighbors who are well armed and good people. A few close local relatives plan to come here because we have a good spot that's pretty easy or at least probable for a small group to defend.

We all have water because we all have wells and there's a clean year around creek through the neighborhood. Our paved road is a loop and we can defend both ends of it by taking turns on guard duty. We can block the road with farm machinery and put guards in the woods along the road.

Our plan is to stay put where we have the most resources and do our best to defend it.

This man said it best...I've learned that it's best to keep your "group" as small as possible with the most trusted and usefull people as possible. I honestly think the max of any group should be around ten...but you also want to have as many able-bodied men as you can.

I've learned that it's a very difficult balance...not only do you want people that you can trust (they wont just take your stuff and leave you), but you also want them to have as little baggage as possible. I know this sounds very cold hearted; but even if you have a trusted, good shooter with no supplies or training of his own with 8 kids and a diabetic wife- you have to weigh the pros of taking them in and the cons of carrying their weight.

The main thing is to prepare, prepare, prepare...then plan, plan, and plan some more. Once you start getting your feet wet, you'll realize just how unprepared you really are.

If you think you're just going to be able to loot what you need or want when the time comes you are very, very sadly mistaken. Ask a bunch of people what they would do if their water shut off- I'm sure they would tell you they would simply run to WalMart and buy water...and if it was during Katrina they would probably bring a shotgun to do it.

So, do you want to be apart of that crazy war over water at the local stores? Do you honestly think having 50+ people with guns and gear will make you the safe one?

Sit down and go over scenarios of what you may think actually happen within your lifetime that you should prepare for...i.e. Natural disasters. Once you prepare for the basics you may find out that you are preparing for the bigger stuff as well.

Better to prepare to live than to kill. Money spent on that AR would better go for food and barter. There wil be alot of guns and ammo laying around as things play out. Might be that bag of rice cost you $12 now but gets you an AR down the road. Plus your neighbors won't hang you in front of your family as an outlaw.

Real law and order will return.

jj

I hope that people are not taking me the wrong way. In no way shape or form do I plan taking from any one, unless I have to. I dont live in town so the plans will be different for me than others. I am probably more prepared than most. Including a "bucket" designed to drop down my well and retrieve water when the jenny is out of fuel. We are on acreage and grow/can are own food. I also have tons of canned goods. As well as most of the other normal stuff that all of the rest of have. What I am thinking is more like 3-4 weeks after SHTF if we have no choice but to start moving us. A bunch of Blue suites that are trying to shuffle you us into FEMA camps for our own good. I do have a plan and a place to go where there are others that are even more prepaired than I. I am talking more restarting over. To travel any distance I feel that safety in numbers is the only way that a person could possibly survive

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top