JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Based upon your budget and desire for your first to be in 9mm…

I'd also recommend any of the 9mm Glocks (exception the G17, too large to easily conceal if you should decide to conceal carry). The Sig P365 line as well as the Sig P229. Even the S&W M&P 2.0 Compact would fit the bill.

Whatever way you decide to go, practice, practice, practice…

I shot a couple 9mm pistols.

Need to ask what they were and try them again.

There was one that felt very smooth and natural, not sure what it was. But I hit three targets in a row about 50ft away, then promptly missed 3 shots in a row at the target 20ft away.

The one I remember was a Glock felt weird and square in my hand. Felt like the hand grip was unnaturally square in my hand.
I don't care for the grip angle of the Glock either. Polymer80 makes complete serialzed copies of the Generation 3 Glock 17 and Glock 19 pistols that have a traditional 1911 grip angle which is more comfortable to shoot. I have seen the Polymer80 pistols at BiMart for under $499.

Hello hello,

I'm close to buying my first gun.
I've been shooting with friends a couple times and I'm hooked.

I have a couple ammo cans and 700rd of 9mm
I have another few hundred lined up for purchase.

Friends at work are leaning on me hard saying to buy a .22 or a shotgun however I have absolutely zero interest in these for now.

I want to start with something 9mm.
What is cheap and fun?
I'm in love with my friends Scorpion Evo and SKS.

Handgun or Something longer that uses 9mm?

Starting out with a minimal budget so $1500 for a Scorpion is not an option. $500 for an SKS is more attainable but I want to start with something fun using 9mm.

SKS might be my 2nd purchase in the near future. Then possible a fun .22 handgun?

Please feel free to inundate me with 9mm advice.

I'm not buying a shotgun or .22 so that advice will be disregarded ;(
A .9mm which has a .22 rimfire conversion available, would be a good call.
Beretta would be at the top of my list.
Sooner or later, you will hear the call of the .22RF.
Had some good friends named Kam. Any relation to Sanford, Ron, Edwin, or Henry Kam?
Best,
Gary

Hello hello,

I'm close to buying my first gun.
I've been shooting with friends a couple times and I'm hooked.

I have a couple ammo cans and 700rd of 9mm
I have another few hundred lined up for purchase.

Friends at work are leaning on me hard saying to buy a .22 or a shotgun however I have absolutely zero interest in these for now.

I want to start with something 9mm.
What is cheap and fun?
I'm in love with my friends Scorpion Evo and SKS.

Handgun or Something longer that uses 9mm?

Starting out with a minimal budget so $1500 for a Scorpion is not an option. $500 for an SKS is more attainable but I want to start with something fun using 9mm.

SKS might be my 2nd purchase in the near future. Then possible a fun .22 handgun?

Please feel free to inundate me with 9mm advice.

I'm not buying a shotgun or .22 so that advice will be disregarded ;(
I would say it depends on what your intended uses are. Concealed carry? Home/urban defense? Truck gun? Range toy? I would suggest figuring that out first (u may have done so already) and have your first purchase check the boxes for your primary use(s).

If concealed carry I would go for a gun that u will actually carry all the time or at least very often. If not a concealed carry gun but more of a truck gun or range toy there are tons of options such as a pcc (they r crazy fun to shoot as you found out with the evo). Stribog is a great gun and around $650 as one example.

Also u can make a range toy/truck gun by buying a brace for some guns (be aware that braces are under proposed restrictions right now though). For example the recover tactical brace (shown on first 2 pics below) is $116 at sportsman's guide right now and is excellent imo.
1C24E19B-CEBB-4ABB-8363-1FB6CA080BCA.jpeg
2B577EB9-EF3C-424B-8EAF-7F49D6896EBB.jpeg
flux brace is similar but way more expensive and hard to find.
273F5A09-4047-483A-9325-00FDA43F04F4.jpeg
AE024FE2-09A6-481F-9CE2-1668AD6866AC.jpeg

I absolutely love my 1911 in 9mm...that being said, like all 1911's in 9mm it seems to be picky about hollowpoints...fortunately HST's run perfectly.

I prefer my Kimber Evo over my wife's Glock 43, but both are great pistols. Anything from CZ, Glock, or Sig will treat you right.

Really, though, it comes down to how you want to use the gun. Concealed carry? You'll want something smaller...range toy/competition (IDPA for example), you may go to something larger. Home defense only - maybe a pcc.

A gun is a tool and it will excel in some roles and fall short in others. You need to buy the right tool for the job in front of you, not buy a tool then go searching for work.

Spend some time considering the job you want the gun for - that will whittle down the choices considerably.

Wait wait wait... Illegal brace? How .. what. Same gun, same bullets same fire rate.. but a brace is illegal... ? I'm not connecting the dots here. Illegal because it makes the gun look scarier to some people?
Long story and I would suggest watching some YouTube videos on current state of braces. Worth the time to know what a brace is, pending proposed restrictions, and also what an "sbr" is. Proposed brace restrictions may apply to PCCs also so again knowledge is power as far as making an informed decision. Here is another very inexpensive brace option FYI called endo by shockwave brand.
2ABD736E-1B8F-406D-84D9-75441B1CCAB9.jpeg

It sounds like you've done a lot of carbine shooting between both the SKS and the EVO. For a cheaper 9mm carbine (technically a rifle), take a look at the Kel-Tec Sub-2000 or a Ruger PCC in 9mm. Both of those firearms come in various flavors and accept many common handgun magazines (my Sub-2000 takes Glock-19 magazines). If I'm not mistaken, the Ruger PCC even allows you to reconfigure your mag-well to accept different magazines—someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Welcome to NWFA and good question!

Bear in mind that no matter how much research you do, your first handgun is unlikely to be your favorite if you end up owning more than a couple of handguns over your lifetime. You don't really know what you like in a gun yet because you haven't shot them enough. That said, it's still very much worth trying out several guns as mentioned before. You may spend $100 or more shooting different rental guns, and it will be well worth the investment.

You might take a beginner handgun class too, to be sure you have the fundamentals down. A gun that feels good when you are gripping it wrong may not feel the same after you correct that.

A lot of the folks giving you advice right now have spent tens of thousands of dollars on guns over the years. Don't be afraid to spend a few hundred dollars more before you buy, and be prepared to spend more soon after. And definitely be prepared to want another gun in a few months, because you will. :)

Lastly, I'm a big fan of the CZ 75, SP-01, P-07 or really any CZ pistol. I like them so much I learned how to pronounce Cheska Zbrojovka. :) If you run across one while checking out rental guns, give it a try.

Don't buy a small gun. Biggest gun mistake the wife and I made. Full size is going to feel so much better than a compact "Carry" sized gun. Save the "Plastic" gun for when you need something light. Unless you have weak arms or tire easily, some physical condition that doesn't allow you to hold 32 oz or more up in front of you. Go all steel or alloy frame. Save the plastic for when you NEED something light(er). I'm a CZ platform guy. That includes CZ and Tanfoglio and I'm sure there are a couple others out there I can't think of now.

Sig Sauer has fine guns that are all metal. Remember, full size for your first. Personally I think Sig believes they are better than everyone else, they aren't, but they cost like they are. A 9mm 1911 would be high on my list. Any bugs they had when they started coming out should be worked out by now. I wouldn't go cheap on a 1911. .45 or 9mm. If it was me, $650.00 + range probably. A quick check looks like I might be living in the past! If you're like I was, I didn't really know what was comfortable in a gun when I had barely even started handling guns. I got used to the grips on what we bought. First hand gun was Grandpas 1950ish S&W .38 special 6". Second gun was a Ruger SR9c. I still like that gun and it's my "Bump in the Night" gun. My third gun was a Kimber Stainless II 1911 in .45. Every man needs a 1911! They will NEVER be out of style. There are only two plastic guns in our house, both carry guns.

Those are just some of my experiences from when I jumped in to gun fun in 2010, at 55 years old.

First of all! Hello and glad you are asking and you are interested in getting a firearm… lots of good people have made great suggestions… I would say that first… what is your intention? Plinking, self-defense? Also go to the shop and feel if one brand or model is more comfortable.

Also, remember that the smaller the pistol the more felt recoil. If you want for carrying then size & weight are also a factors. Ruger, S&W, Glock, CZ, Sig and even Springfield are good manufacturers of pistols. But with your budget I would HIGHLY recommend buying a used firearm! Classifieds here are great! Local shops are as well!

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top