JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not feeling any pressing need for concealed carry.

I just want something fun for recreational shooting.

I will look at that 9mm 1911 suggestion.
As well as a Sign. I want something solid.

With my hands, I don't think a tiny plastic gun would fit right.

1911 feels like the right size. And maybe I'm just hung up on 9mm but it's the one I enjoyed shooting both times I've been.

The Scorpion Evo I fired was all decked out with grips and a red dot. Large mag. Fun to handle and fire.

The SKS was iron sight but it felt solid and comfortable, easy to aim and accurate.
Nice solid feel

I would also very much like to get into hunting but have zero friends that hunt.

Deer/Elk. Perhaps something smaller that's edible?

I will look at that 9mm 1911 suggestion.
As well as a Sign. I want something solid.

With my hands, I don't think a tiny plastic gun would fit right.

1911 feels like the right size. And maybe I'm just hung up on 9mm but it's the one I enjoyed shooting both times I've been.

The Scorpion Evo I fired was all decked out with grips and a red dot. Large mag. Fun to handle and fire.

The SKS was iron sight but it felt solid and comfortable, easy to aim and accurate.
Nice solid feel

I would also very much like to get into hunting but have zero friends that hunt.

For deer and elk you would use different guns, and definitely not a 9mm. That might be a project for later, as you can easily spend more on gear, tags, training and travel as you do on the gun.

I'd recommend you start with an ordinary full size handgun. 9mm is a great choice because it's substantial enough for self defense, not bad on recoil, and the second most popular handgun caliber behind .22, so it's one of the most cost-effective.

Bi Mart had Rock Island 'GI' model 1911 9MMs for .$399.00 a few days go - I almost came home with one!

However - + 1 on a CZ as well - as I have one (75 BD) and well, its the best non 1911 Semi Auto handgun I have ever owned!

Grouse is a excellent way to get into hunting...even after hunting many other types of game such as deer , bear elk , boar and antelope...Grouse hunting is my favorite.

Unfortunately you said you were not interested in a .22LR or Shotgun...these are very useful when hunting grouse or small game....
You could go with a muzzle loader...I often hunt small game and grouse with my .54 Caliber Hawken Rifle...but that is a subject for a different thread....:D
Andy

Last Edited:
Bi Mart had Rock Island 'GI' model 1911 9MMs for .$399.00 a few days go - I almost came home with one!

However - + 1 on a CZ as well - as I have one (75 BD) and well, its the best non 1911 Semi Auto handgun I have ever owned!
Holy, Holy! I wonder what that Rock Island shoots like, for that money? I'm afraid I've turned kind of snobby over the years. :oops: I'm feeling like life's too short to by inexpensive guns.

Holy, Holy! I wonder what that Rock Island shoots like, for that money? I'm afraid I've turned kind of snobby over the years. :oops: I'm feeling like life's too short to by inexpensive guns.
I had one and it shot great. Nice trigger, very accurate. I changed the grip and painted the front sight for better visibility. It would make a solid first gun and is available in 9mm. You may hear that 1911's in 9mm are unreliable and some were at first, years ago. The current RIA 1911's do not have that issue.

Hello hello,

I'm close to buying my first gun.
I've been shooting with friends a couple times and I'm hooked.

Please feel free to inundate me with 9mm advice.
Glocks are nice, but you can save a few bucks and purchase a Taurus like a G3c. Only $300. They field strip the same as a Glock (one of my favorite features). Taurus has been making some nice pistols the last few years. Then you can save money up for other gun purchases.

This being the case I would stick with a 'full size' gun and preferably in alloy or steel framed.

A heavier, full size gun will be much more pleasant to shoot and you can 'customize' it a little if you want.

Ensure it is a gun you can change sights on because some 'stock' sights suck badly. I recently installed some LPA high profile target style sights on my CZ and now its a tackdriver!

IMG_1248.JPG

The RIA I looked at the other day (and others as well) were literally flawless.

Very tight, no slide movement, highly polished feed ramp and all edges sharp, well defined and fitted.
I'll admit, there is no logical reason for my bias.

This being the case I would stick with a 'full size' gun and preferably in alloy or steel framed.

A heavier, full size gun will be much more pleasant to shoot and you can 'customize' it a little if you want.

Ensure it is a gun you can change sights on because some 'stock' sights suck badly. I recently installed some LPA high profile target style sights on my CZ and now its a tackdriver!

View attachment 994339
Nice. Aftermarket grips? Kind of looks like the Hogue wraparound grip.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top