JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Add some coloring to it as well so you can see your targets!

OR just make a GONG and carry a can of blaze orange pant to keep it looking like new !

Lots of alternatives to shooting watermelon. I once was able to score pig heads from a pork producer and they were kind of fun to shoot at.

I have had a friend of a friend offer to sell me a scoped Marlin 30 30 for $475.
Model 336
A very good lever gun
Not exactly what I had imagined but it seems fun. And looks similar that a pic of a gun my dad owned in the 70s.

I haven't seen it, but the seller says that when he bought it he was told it was a vault gun?
Seller was slightly drunk so I didn't make out everything he said.
Safe queen.
May not have been handled/shot much.

It's been in his closet and never been used.

Thoughts? I probably should bring a buddy with me to check it out to make sure it's functional? The guy might live in Oregon.
I am in Washington.
See "Safe Queen" above.
How does that kind of transfer work?
A WA resident can do the FFL transfer in Oregon as long as it's not a pistol or semi-automatic.
This is neither so you're OK to do the transfer in OR
Is this a decent choice for hunting?
30-30 is probably the most popular deer hunting cartridge of all time.

I would strongly suggest you have the transfer take place in WA state if you can.

I bought a pump shotgun in Oregon in mid April and my transfer is still in limbo some how.

I've done at least half a dozen completed purchases in WA since then.
No clue what the problem is. But I assume it's my being a non resident.

I would strongly suggest you have the transfer take place in WA state if you can.

I bought a pump shotgun in Oregon in mid April and my transfer is still in limbo some how.

I've done at least half a dozen completed purchases in WA since then.
No clue what the problem is. But I assume it's my being a non resident.
I (WA) just did a bolt gun transfer in OR and it was instant.
I also have OR CHL but not sure if that makes a difference.

I (WA) just did a bolt gun transfer in OR and it was instant.
I also have OR CHL but not sure if that makes a difference.
I literally have been chasing my tail on a .410 mossberg.
It's almost worth just walking away from that gun . AFAIK , no background check has even been initiated by OSP.
They have a question about my 4473 , but the phone number they have you call is an answering machine. Super fun.

It is a good idea to get your Washington and Oregon Concealed Carry licenses anyway. An Oregon CHL exempts you from some stupid local laws. Did you know that in Multnomah county it is illegal to have a loaded magazine in public without a CHL?
My thoughts are evolving.

Seeing some fun looking 22s.

Funding has passed $500.

Still sitting on 500rd of 9mm.

Considering a small gunsafe I could install in my garage or closet. I'm guessing there are some low profile ones? Maybe a kit. Cut out a section of drywall and it fits between the framing and bolts in securely that when closed it's flush with the wall? Maybe the 22lr to go after rabbits grouse etc and room for a handgun or two.

That 1911 9mm is growing on me rapidly.

Thoughts on this for rabbits?
How well would this handle some kind of scope/red dot for going after rabbits?

Hunting is definitely on my mind. I want to get into it but ALL my friends are inactive hunters.

I will have to go it alone.

Screenshot_20210805-113602.png

Funding has passed $500.

Then Model 41 is out.
Look at the Rugers. Many iterations with probably the long barreled Hunter in the #1 spot.
Considering a small gunsafe I could install in my garage or closet. I'm guessing there are some low profile ones? Maybe a kit. Cut out a section of drywall and it fits between the framing and bolts in securely that when closed it's flush with the wall? Maybe the 22lr to go after rabbits grouse etc and room for a handgun or two.
Don't monkey with that.
Get a (normal) safe bigger than what you think you need.
Meh.
Your first 1911 should be 45ACP to get the full effect.
For 9mm there are better choices in a full size.

The omnipresent Glock of course
SIG P320 (I have an X-Five target gun that is a dream to shoot)
CZ SP01 (or variants) Arguably the best 9mm platform on the planet

Yeah, I'm taking this in baby steps.
Softening up any resistance.
Reed bending with the wind...
Small ripples on the water...
Chess moves...

Dropping a hulking gun safe into the house would be a tactical error for the opening move.

However a smaller and aesthetically pleasing safe in the closet would be a much easier sell.

Then if inventory expands, the ice has already been broken for a larger safe.

Chess moves ftw.

Also seriously considering the concealed carry permits as suggested repeatedly.

Am I able to complete those permits before actually owning a gun?

Costs and time requirements for Or/Wa ?

I'll also Google it later.

Hunting is definitely on my mind. I want to get into it but ALL my friends are inactive hunters.

View attachment 1005496
Pretty good price for that.
You need to leave money for a red dot ($50) ,unless it has flip sights installed stock.

Yeah, I'm taking this in baby steps.
Softening up any resistance.
Reed bending with the wind...
Small ripples on the water...
Chess moves...

Dropping a hulking gun safe into the house would be a tactical error for the opening move.

However a smaller and aesthetically pleasing safe in the closet would be a much easier sell.

Then if inventory expands, the ice has already been broken for a larger safe.

Chess moves ftw.
Sounds like there is a woman involved here.
:)
Also seriously considering the concealed carry permits as suggested repeatedly.

Am I able to complete those permits before actually owning a gun?
You can own the gun before a concealed carry permit is acquired.
Don't carry concealed 'til you get the permit.
Costs and time requirements for Or/Wa ?
WA is pretty easy.
No class required last time I shecked.
Just go down to Clark County Sheriff's Office and start the process.
I had mine in about 10 days.
Google CCSO for CPL more info.

For WA resident in OR :

1) You have to take a certified class and have a certificate.
Lowest cost is this approved online class :

2) Avoid Multnomah County
Months long wait times.

3) Check with :
Columbia County
Sherman County
Grant County

View attachment 1005496
If you want to hunt rabbits and small game a bolt action .22 rifle and 1X - 4X scope would be a more useful choice. Don't get me wrong, I love ARs. But really, that's a distraction from your 9mm search. You're all over the map, which is OK. It's normal when getting into a new hobby. I suggest that you take it one step at a time. You can't do it all at once anyway. It sounds like you should start with a simple 9mm handgun and get proficient with it first. Meantime, you could go hunting with a friend who is experienced. This will give you a better idea of what type of hunting you'll enjoy and whether you will like it at all. Hard to believe but some people actually learn that hunting is not for them.

Get a small safe for the handgun, bolt it to something that's difficult to move or cut, and store the ammo in a different part of the house.

Funding has passed $500.

Once upon a time there was a rich Chinese nobleman who loved dragons. He loved stories about dragons. He had pictures of dragons on his walls and statues of dragons in his gardens. Unknown to the nobleman there was a dragon living in the lake by his gardens. The dragon was feeling lonely, and it knew about the noble man's reputed fondness for dragons. So one day when the nobleman walked by where the dragon was submerged, the dragon came out of the water behind the nobleman and politely said "Ahem." The nobleman turned, saw the dragon, and ran off screaming. The dragon looked sadly after the fleeing nobleman and said, "You only like the idea of a dragon, not a real dragon."

I learned to shoot a few guns as a kid, but only started buying different guns as an adult in my late twenties. I remember as my gun interests expanded and I started reading gun magazines that I fell in love with the 1911. Then I went to a gun store and handled one. It pointed very low and left for me. That was my first experience with a gun that didnt point well for me. Turned out I only loved the idea of a 1911, not a real 1911.

That was my first experience of falling in love with a gun and then divorcing on first handling.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads