JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello hello,

I'm close to buying my first gun.
I've been shooting with friends a couple times and I'm hooked.

I have a couple ammo cans and 700rd of 9mm
I have another few hundred lined up for purchase.

Friends at work are leaning on me hard saying to buy a .22 or a shotgun however I have absolutely zero interest in these for now.

I want to start with something 9mm.
What is cheap and fun?
I'm in love with my friends Scorpion Evo and SKS.

Handgun or Something longer that uses 9mm?

Starting out with a minimal budget so $1500 for a Scorpion is not an option. $500 for an SKS is more attainable but I want to start with something fun using 9mm.

SKS might be my 2nd purchase in the near future. Then possible a fun .22 handgun?

Please feel free to inundate me with 9mm advice.

I'm not buying a shotgun or .22 so that advice will be disregarded ;(

71306660-full-golden-automatic-9mm-machine-gun-isolated-on-white-background-military-weapons-c...jpg

Just a suggestion...

-Robert

You're going to need a gigantic budget for all of the suggestions.

I have 9mm in all kinds of flavors so am in the get one of everything category.
Lots of choices for a first one these days depending on what you want to do with it.

Visit a shooting range that rents various models. Choose the one that you are the most comfortable with. Better yet take a class that offers multiple models that you can try out.

Some shops will take returns on guns for store credit on another model.

As much as it pains me to suggest this...
I'd go with one of the Glock Series of pistols , if you are set on 9mm and "cheap and fun"....to use your words.

I'd also second the idea of renting various handguns that catch your eye and budget before buying anything.
Andy

A Glock19 is always a solid recommendation but I would suggest going to a range and renting some different pistols to see what fits your hand and points best for you. I shoot Glocks okay, but I shoot Hi-Powers and 1911s better, and enjoy them more.

Glock 17 for a range/practice gun.

Glock 43/48 for carry.

I'm in the minority that I don't care for the G19 and don't feel it fills any role particularly well.

Visit a shooting range that rents various models.
You're doing the right thing concerning buying your first handgun - e.g., asking folks for ideas and what things to consider. You are going to get a boat-load of "advice", but most first-time firearms buyers are competent enough to read and parse information and use that to do some further research.

It's been a while since I've shot there, but the Public Safety Training Center in Clackamas (which is a public range) had a variety of handguns you could rent and tryout. You're in Vancouver, so there probably is a range or two similar to the PSTC that has a variety of handguns you can rent and tryout. It's worth the investment, in that you are probably going to identify the right handgun for you BEFORE you drop several hundred dollars for a purchase. Beats buying, trying, disliking - and then trying to sell so you can buy another - and so on, and so on.

A person's first purchase will depend heavily on the intended purpose and use.

Range plinking and shooting for fun would result in the availability of a wide variety of 9mm pistols with a huge price differentiation.

If you add the desire / decision to carry concealed (after you get a concealed handgun license for your state), then your choice of 9mm pistol might be different from just a general, inexpensive but reliable, 9mm range pistol.

Btw ,if you really want fun ,buy a .22 (eventually, you'll own a few of them)

It's simple fact that rimfire is the most funnest.
And I totally agree with @Knobgoblin, 22 LR pistols are great fun and inexpensive (relatively) to shoot. Also, they are great learning tools for draw, grip, presentation, sight acquisition, trigger control, etc.

Good luck, have fun and good shooting.

Cheers.

If Glock isn't a consideration I'd go for a Sig, Walther or maybe even a Ruger if price of of utmost importance. I'd skip anything from Taurus, Kel-Tec or Hi-Point. Yes some of those offering technically work ok but they tend to be finnicky with low quality and I'd hate for the OP to get frustrated with their first gun. :)

I shot a couple 9mm pistols.

Need to ask what they were and try them again.

There was one that felt very smooth and natural, not sure what it was. But I hit three targets in a row about 50ft away, then promptly missed 3 shots in a row at the target 20ft away.

The one I remember was a Glock felt weird and square in my hand. Felt like the hand grip was unnaturally square in my hand.

Glock 19/17
Springfield XDm in whatever size fits best.
SW MP line in whatever size fits best.
CZ polymer framed options are great pistols.
Beretta 92
AR15 in 9mm.
1911s in 9mm

So many great options out there.

I shot a couple 9mm pistols.

Need to ask what they were and try them again.

There was one that felt very smooth and natural, not sure what it was. But I hit three targets in a row about 50ft away, then promptly missed 3 shots in a row at the target 20ft away.

The one I remember was a Glock felt weird and square in my hand. Felt like the hand grip was unnaturally square in my hand.
I couldn't shoot glocks initially either, they didn't point naturally for me.

I'm wondering if you had better luck with a 1911 type pistol or 2 ?

Same with the one and only Glock I owned. It was my first 9mm, and I was initially impressed with it but eventually grew to dislike it and eventually sold it.

Grip is very important for me and has to 'feel' right and be something I can change.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top