JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yep got the same style on my 1911 as well.

Cant beat 'em for cheap grips that work well!

IMG_1367.JPG

I would suggest you lay hands on a CZ P01 and a few other CZ's before you make a final decision. If you were closer I'd let you shoot a few guns.

Glock 19 MOS or Walther PDP. The nice thing about Glocks is there are several guns that use their magazines, like the Ruger PCC and lots of ARs.
Another great thing about 9mm glocks (especially the 19) is that they disappear overnight should you decide to sell.
I've had at least 3 used gen3 glock 19s come through as spares and I managed to trade up for milled Draco on the last one that went down the road.

Hello hello,

I'm close to buying my first gun.
I've been shooting with friends a couple times and I'm hooked.

I have a couple ammo cans and 700rd of 9mm
I have another few hundred lined up for purchase.

Friends at work are leaning on me hard saying to buy a .22 or a shotgun however I have absolutely zero interest in these for now.

I want to start with something 9mm.
What is cheap and fun?
I'm in love with my friends Scorpion Evo and SKS.

Handgun or Something longer that uses 9mm?

Starting out with a minimal budget so $1500 for a Scorpion is not an option. $500 for an SKS is more attainable but I want to start with something fun using 9mm.

SKS might be my 2nd purchase in the near future. Then possible a fun .22 handgun?

Please feel free to inundate me with 9mm advice.

I'm not buying a shotgun or .22 so that advice will be disregarded ;(
Since you are in Vancouver, stop by the SafeFire Indoor Shooting Range (range is downstairs in the basement) and rent one of the 90+ guns to get some hands on practice before you drop $500-800 on something you may not like or may not fit you. The gun rental is $25/he for as many guns as you want to try during the hour.

Another option there is to schedule a private lesson with an instructor who can work with you while you rent multiple handguns.

As an instructor, I usually recommend four things when choosing a handgun; 1-does it fit your hand well, 2-do you shoot it fairly when you first try it, 3-can you rack the slide fairly easily (it can be hard for some until you develop an effective technique), 4-is the cost within your budget.

I also do not recommend a revolver as your first defense weapon without proper training, since there are so many options with the semi-auto handgun manufacturers.

Good luck with your purchase!

I'm sure I'll get some 💩 over this, but check out the Canik Elite! My favorite mid size under 400. My collection of Canik's and Walther PPQ's are both into the double digits, they just work!

My .02

1911 at left in the pic is a Springfield Range Officer Elite 9mm Commander. It is now my favorite of my 3--1911s. The other 2 shown are 45's

The Springfield 9mm 1911 is so fun to shoot, I wish I had bought it years ago.

I also have a Kahr PM9 and SIG 365 SAS for carry. Both excellent guns.

For a first 9mm, I definitely recommend the 1911 format.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell.....

triplets.jpg

I'm sure I'll get some 💩 over this, but check out the Canik Elite! My favorite mid size under 400. My collection of Canik's and Walther PPQ's are both into the double digits, they just work!

My .02
I've shot a Canik copy of the CZ (the p-07 maybe?) and it was fine. The build quality wasn't up to CZ standards but it was still pretty darn good. I also shot a Tanfaglio (sp?) clone once. Again not as good as the original. Trying to remember if the Tanfaglio was a clone of the CZ or the Beretta 92. Oh well the 92 is a smooth shooter but the grips were big and uncomfortable. The grips Mike mentioned turn it into a pretty nice gun. Just get the G model or a conversion kit. The FS, while easier to find new, has a really stupid manual of arms. The G model is a straight decocker gun like the P-01 and 75BD.

I agree with the advice on going to a range and renting a variety.

I'd go with a Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 or 2.0 compact. It's a little cheaper than some of the other options listed so far. The CZs are great if you want a DA/SA hammer-fired model, but they do tend to run a bit more expensive.

Glocks are ubiquitous, but many shooters either love them or hate them because of the grip angle. I prefer the grip angle on the Smith.

A 9mm pistol is a good choice for a first handgun for an adult these days.
The ammo is cheaper than any handgun ammo other than .22.
Full size or a step below full size is best. Small guns are harder to shoot. You'll enjoy your first gun more if you easily get good with it.

Glocks used to be very good guns for the money. But these days you can do better for the money. They are very available and reliable though.

Did you watch Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone? If so, remember the scene where Harry was in the wand store, and was handed the right wand? And he and the wand lit up? If you picked up a Glock and hated it, trust that feeling. Don't let anyone talk you into a Glock. Aim each candidate gun at something without using the sights. The guns that fit you will point naturally for you.

You've spoken of fun, and that's A legitimate motivation. What are your immediate needs, if any? Home defense? Concealed carry? Hunting? Predator control? Plinking? More formal target shooting such as on a range. Completion?

I suggest you get going on getting your concealed license asap.

If at all possible, go to a range that rents guns and try out at least one in all three of the major semiauto action types SA, DA/SA, and striker fired.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top