JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm boring, but I've never in my life shot a ruger 10/22 without it jambing on the first ten rounds, regardless of whom owned it and how they cared for it...

I did fire my Hawkins renegade .54 cal BP with the tamping rod still in it behind a round ball while shooting repeatedly and rapidly with speed loads at a prarie chicken at age 18, which effectively ended my hunting trip until I could buy a new one and recover from launching nearly 1500 grains towards a damn chicken that got away...

I had a brand new Colt Stainless Mustang that double fired right out of the box. Gunsmith fixed it and never had another problem. I had a S&W 3913 that I carried with a round in the chamber. One day when I ejected the chambered round- part of the feed ramp came out with the round. S&W replaced it but it did tend to jam at times so got rid of it.

Many moons ago, on a tank firing range in Southern England, with the regiment going to Germany the following month, they had to shoot off all their over-the year allocation of ammunition so that they could re-bomb with all new on arrival.

I was huddled in our FV434, a tracked workshop vehicle with a HIAB crane and all kinds of techie fix-em-up stuff, getting outside an egg banjo from the NAAFI van when there was a very strange noise from the gunline, about 150m away from us - a kind of a WHUMF sound - like dropping a heavy mattress flat on the ground.

The tanks, all Chieftains, were operating closed-down because of the heavy rain, commander's cupola lid shut and loaders hatch [in two sections] also closed.

Except for one.

There was thick black smoke pouring out of the commander's hatch, the loader's hatch and a couple of other vents.

There was no point in looking too closely - the ensuing fire began to rage within seconds, and although the emergency fire truck did its best, and the internal fire-suppression system may have functioned, all that could be done was to hose the whole site down until the fires went out.

All four crewmen were, of course, dead in their seats, more or less. But what had happened to the tank, and subsequently, to them?

Some of you here may know that British main battle tanks do not have fixed ammunition - the projectile and the charge are separate. Manually loaded, the gunner shoves the projectile into the breech, followed by the appropriate propellant charge. The actual charge is made up of two silk bags - each in the form of a half-cylinder, and sewn together and stored vertically in wet-stowage bins. To shoot HE, Smoke, HESH [what you call squash-head] the gunner rips the charge in half and loads one half into the breech - to shoot the AP-DS - the tungsten-carbide penetrator projectile - he loads both of them. This gives the AP projectile a velocity of over 5000 fps...

But how does the non-existent case seal in the breech?

Well, folks, it doesn't. Instead, the breech seals against the breech ring with a flexible bag in trhe face of the breech block, filled, of all things, with nothing more technical than good ol' cooking suet....and the explosion in the breech on firing squishes it out into the breech ring, effectively sealing it and permitting all the force of the propellant to be directed down the bore behind the projectile.

Except that this time, it let go, and the interior of the turret was filled, instantly, with a hot flaming gas at about 3000 degrees C, with a pressure estimated to have been about 48,000 psi - until the hatches blew out, that is. The AP round was about a yard up the barrel from the breech.

To a man, everybody there, including the NAAFI van driver, who was former member of the regiment, volunteered to get in and help recover their friends' remains after the instant investigation by the medics and gun-techies - and, of course, the RMP. Who they were going to arrest for this tragedy was unclear at the time, and their presence was not appreciated. I'm ashamed to say that while I was not one of those picked to do this appalling last service for friends, I was happy to have been overlooked.

The four man crew were recovered with scrapers and tweezers and little plastic bags. 'Nuff said.
As a former tanker, this is like a worst nightmare scenario. We broke one of our pintle pins in our M1A1, unbeknownst to us ,for who knows how long. For those who are wondering, those pins keep the gun assembly in the turret. We were lucky the gun didn't come out of battery during recoil and killed someone, maybe me.

I'm boring, but I've never in my life shot a ruger 10/22 without it jambing on the first ten rounds, regardless of whom owned it and how they cared for it...

I did fire my Hawkins renegade .54 cal BP with the tamping rod still in it behind a round ball while shooting repeatedly and rapidly with speed loads at a prarie chicken at age 18, which effectively ended my hunting trip until I could buy a new one and recover from launching nearly 1500 grains towards a damn chicken that got away...
Reminds me of the time my first Hi-Power stopped working at around 50,000 rounds and lots of dry-firing with zero malfunctions.. broken firing pin retaining plate. Kind of a let down at the time.

Another I experienced was a first with a Mod 94 Winchester of all I have owned.

The '66 100 Year commemorative I bought a few years ago shot well single shot but when I loaded the tube and tried to cycle a round it would fling the round, spinning, up and out of the receiver into the air!

I compared the cartridge lifter action to another that DOES cycle OK and discovered the lifter was suddenly snapping upward during cycling and flipping the round out.

Turns out the lifter spring was not fitted properly to the lifter and did not allow for smooth, upward movement of the lifter to the chamber.

A few minutes with the spring on a 'stone' and it is now cycling perfectly!

I have often speculated the Comemorativas did NOT get final fitting and adjustments as I believe WInchester did NOT expect them to ever be fired much (if at all) and I have read of many who experience a variety of functional problems with them as well.

Last Edited:
Just curious as to what is the strangest firearm malfunction you have seen.

For me, my shooting partners glock 17 ejected a spent shell, and fed that same empty shell; backwards; into the chamber. Stuck to the point of pliers and curse words.

So, whatcha got?

Had a firing pin retaining pin shear off in a Colt and drive the firing pin between the upper and the BCG. Required full disassembly and a wood dowel to be driven into the bore to fenagle the firing pin loose at which point the two parts were discarded, replaced and lube was applied and the Colt was up and running again. Second would be a Remington 870 barrel breech and spray shrapnel by my face. Builds character.

I did not know this however is there any specific reason the British do NOT utilize fixed ammunition?

The sheer size of the 120mm projectile and the propellant charge precluded the adoption of a fixed round like the US 120mm shell used in the USMC M103 and British Conqueror. Prior to that, the British-designed 105mm gun - standard throughout NATO - DID use a fixed round.

Here it is..................and no, it's not a fake. It's the reason for the huge turret bustle on both the M103 and Conqueror tanks - to allow that huge empty case to be ejected after firing...

1609449335684.png
1609449483956.png

1609449151520.png

This is the same 120mm round used in Chieftain, more or less...

1609449090746.png
1609449023492.png

Last Edited:
Just curious as to what is the strangest firearm malfunction you have seen.

For me, my shooting partners glock 17 ejected a spent shell, and fed that same empty shell; backwards; into the chamber. Stuck to the point of pliers and curse words.

So, whatcha got?

That actually happened almost exactly to me with my FAL. I was able to work it out without tools (the difference), but to this day I have no effin' idea how it happened.

In all seriousness though much like gmerkt ive had stuck cases with 5.45 and i had to pogo the entire rifle and kick start the charging handle on the ground to get the stuck case out.
After casting the chamber with some cerro cast i think theres no throat to the lands. They go all the way to to the case neck.
Only has issues with wolf ammo though the 7N6 cycles fine.
I think wolf jams in those lands and
REALLY spikes the pressure.
This is why i ONLY buy steel charging handles now.

Other than that. Being a idiot and not knowing how to put on a PSL scope. 3 shots in and the PSOP literally goes flying.

Took my mom out shooting for her first time a few years ago. She shot a bunch of different guns and fell in love with it.
2 shots in to firing a canik tp9sa the gun made a very light poof, I was standing right behind her and ensured she didn't continue to fire.
Had to push out the lodged projectile from the barrel. Upon inspection it looks like the primer wasn't seated correctly.
It's made me glance at the primers while loading mags. I contacted federal and they shipped me a new box. Loads were 115gr 9mm federal aluminum.
20161022_174542.jpg 20161022_133917_HDR.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads