JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you've ever shot a Walther PPKS, you would not want to have the thumping sharp slide rail slicing into the web of your hand 8 times per second.

I did something like that but only one pass, that you very much. With a Walther PP that I had as a kid. I wanted to see if I could drop the hammer manually and move my thumb out of the way before the slide fully recoiled. I lost that little contest. Kids and guns. Ain't it amazin'. I've decided there are sound reasons for age limits on buying guns.

Nothing strange, just stupid
Kinda like 10mm auto brass.
I've held the belief that a well designed semi-auto, when shot well, will eject brass in the same vicinity. My HK P7M13 would throw the brass 30' into a small pile. Last time shooting my Ruger SR1911-10mm, I couldn't find the brass. WTH? It was throwing it over the 1/2 wall, into the parking lot of the pistol range.

Once witnessed a buddy showing off his brand new stainless steel 40 round Mini-14 magazine. Loaded it up, inserted it into the gun, pulled the charging handle back...and all 40 rounds erupted out the top of the action like a geyser.

Just curious as to what is the strangest firearm malfunction you have seen.

For me, my shooting partners glock 17 ejected a spent shell, and fed that same empty shell; backwards; into the chamber. Stuck to the point of pliers and curse words.

So, whatcha got?

I saw a similar malfunction in a G22 during a training class. It appeared that the magazine lost control(inertia feed?) of the loaded round and it flipped over and stuck in the chamber as above, backwards

Smiles,

Last Edited:
Just curious as to what is the strangest firearm malfunction you have seen.

For me, my shooting partners glock 17 ejected a spent shell, and fed that same empty shell; backwards; into the chamber. Stuck to the point of pliers and curse words.

So, whatcha got?
M4 clone. Loose gas block caused a stovepipe and a double feed! Yes, I know! That's impossible, but it repeated three times before I figured out what was causing it!

Was at the range with a friend, he was new to guns and had bought a keltec of some sort in .223, anyways, he had some kind of malfunction with the wolf crap he was shooting, l got it cleared for him and discovered that not all his ammo had a flash hole which can cause loose primers in your action

Please explain! This doesn't make sense!

Are you trying to say the primers weren't crimped?

Asking for a friend....

Smiles,

I saw Mac have a malfunction on themilitaryarmschannel.. the gun tied his shoelaces together and kicked him in the nuts.

not really, he has a lot of malfunctions though

As a "Range Master" and "Instructor" at a police range I've seen just about every manner of malfunction possible during practice, training and "quals"! Most are due to poor maintenance, lack of lubrication or proper cleaning. Next comes magazine and ammo issues! Funny how 9mm won't fire reliably in 40 S&W or 40 S&W won't fire reliably in 45ACP!

I got chewed out by a LT. after he loaded 40's in his 45! Somehow it was my fault for posting cases of ammo on the loading bench in stacks of 9mm, 40S&W and 45ACP and not telling HIM! The human error malfunction!

9mm magazines seem to be prone to feed lip expansion when left loaded for long periods or lots of use. The expansion causes "drop free" issues!

I've seen way too many Glock front sights get launched down range!

There is a reason why every "police" range has "loading barrels"! For safety reasons I assigned "guys" together in pairs to coach each other much like "RO's" to be sure rules and safety protocols were followed! They were also charged with making sure their partner left the range with fully loaded magazines and firearms. Yup, early on I witnessed guys leaving the range with empty firearms and magazines and return to duty!

Please don't hijack this thread with Cop bashing! Cops are people too!

As an avid reloader I've had my share of squibs and a couple KABOOMS! The most serious caused a blown out magazine and split wood grips on a 1911!

Smiles,

Last Edited:
I had a compound bow snap a lower cable and disassemble itself at full draw. Those marks on my arm still aren't buffing out.

I asked about new cables and Martin laughed at me. They did give me good trade in on the broken parts though, they wanted to look at the failure.

Payed 5 dollars for a second hand 9 shot .22 "Saturday Night Special" back in the mid 60s. Popped off a couple off rounds and on the third shot the revolver took a half cock and touched off two rounds at the same time, neither one of which was aligned with the barrel! Darn near lost my thumb! It's at the bottom of the Clackamas River now. Lesson learned!

Sent the front 7/8ths of a suppressor down range 25 yards.
Most expensive trigger pull I've ever had

Please explain! This doesn't make sense!

Are you trying to say the primers weren't crimped?

Asking for a friend....

Smiles,
I don't remember if they were crimped or not but there was definitely a couple that did not have the little flash hole punched through the case head that would allow the powder to be ignited by the primer.

Several years ago I bought a Bersa 644 (early all steel .22 PPK clone imported by Interarms - great little gun BTW)

After a complete tear down, cleaning and reassembly I took it out and chambered a round, took aim, pulled the trigger and all ten went off FA !

Turned out to be the pin that holds the extractor was seated too deeply and was slightly dragging on the frame and holding the slide back just long enough between shots and somehow allowing the hammer to release as well.

A slight tap on the pin with the slide removed to recess it slightly fixed it!

Strangest malfunction I ever had was during a bullseye match back in the early 90's. Firing a timed fire string when my slide on my Beeman Unique .22LR didn't function the slide. I saw no case eject, so I simply laid the gun down and raised my hand to indicate a malfunction.
When the rangemaster stopped the line at the end, and came over to check he had me open the slide, and the case came out fired. He initially told me it wasn't a malfunction, and I wouldn't be allowed an "alibi round". As he walked away I thought I better check for a squib load, and I dropped my cleaning rod down the bore and hit an obstruction. I called him back to show him, and he told me to push it out. When the bullet dropped on my shooting mat it had a hole through the center and was hollow through the bullet!
Seems the bullet wasn't fully formed and upon firing it blew the nose out, and released all the gas. Had this been a revolver, or bolt action, I might have fired the next round and no telling what might have happened then?

Many moons ago, on a tank firing range in Southern England, with the regiment going to Germany the following month, they had to shoot off all their over-the year allocation of ammunition so that they could re-bomb with all new on arrival.

I was huddled in our FV434, a tracked workshop vehicle with a HIAB crane and all kinds of techie fix-em-up stuff, getting outside an egg banjo from the NAAFI van when there was a very strange noise from the gunline, about 150m away from us - a kind of a WHUMF sound - like dropping a heavy mattress flat on the ground.

The tanks, all Chieftains, were operating closed-down because of the heavy rain, commander's cupola lid shut and loaders hatch [in two sections] also closed.

Except for one.

There was thick black smoke pouring out of the commander's hatch, the loader's hatch and a couple of other vents.

There was no point in looking too closely - the ensuing fire began to rage within seconds, and although the emergency fire truck did its best, and the internal fire-suppression system may have functioned, all that could be done was to hose the whole site down until the fires went out.

All four crewmen were, of course, dead in their seats, more or less. But what had happened to the tank, and subsequently, to them?

Some of you here may know that British main battle tanks do not have fixed ammunition - the projectile and the charge are separate. Manually loaded, the gunner shoves the projectile into the breech, followed by the appropriate propellant charge. The actual charge is made up of two silk bags - each in the form of a half-cylinder, and sewn together and stored vertically in wet-stowage bins. To shoot HE, Smoke, HESH [what you call squash-head] the gunner rips the charge in half and loads one half into the breech - to shoot the AP-DS - the tungsten-carbide penetrator projectile - he loads both of them. This gives the AP projectile a velocity of over 5000 fps...

But how does the non-existent case seal in the breech?

Well, folks, it doesn't. Instead, the breech seals against the breech ring with a flexible bag in trhe face of the breech block, filled, of all things, with nothing more technical than good ol' cooking suet....and the explosion in the breech on firing squishes it out into the breech ring, effectively sealing it and permitting all the force of the propellant to be directed down the bore behind the projectile.

Except that this time, it let go, and the interior of the turret was filled, instantly, with a hot flaming gas at about 3000 degrees C, with a pressure estimated to have been about 48,000 psi - until the hatches blew out, that is. The AP round was about a yard up the barrel from the breech.

To a man, everybody there, including the NAAFI van driver, who was former member of the regiment, volunteered to get in and help recover their friends' remains after the instant investigation by the medics and gun-techies - and, of course, the RMP. Who they were going to arrest for this tragedy was unclear at the time, and their presence was not appreciated. I'm ashamed to say that while I was not one of those picked to do this appalling last service for friends, I was happy to have been overlooked.

The four man crew were recovered with scrapers and tweezers and little plastic bags. 'Nuff said.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads