Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Spokane bank robber shot by customer

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by slimer13, Jun 30, 2016.

1. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

2. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Tigard Oregon Well-Known Member

The customer used poor judgement. IMHO. Very few bank robberies end in violence. The teller gives the robber the money and he leaves. Not a wise decision to turn a non violent situation into a possible violent one when the bad guy turns on the armed customer and does a spay an pray shooting those around him. He is taking the banks $, let him have it and don't put yourself and everyone else at risk.

3. Barefoot African

Barefoot African Saint Helens Oregon Active Member

I would have no cause pulling a gun unless directly threatened. Money/robery is no reason to draw and fire. Withdraw, and find cover if possible.

Close fast and end with extreme violence if facing unavoidable deadly threat only. That concealed weapon stays concealed until I am in the process of closing fast. The Paul Castle relock, unorthodox but fast and furious.

PS I am biased because this gives me my best sight picture,,,, age ...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    clearconscience likes this.
  4. Pandaz3

Pandaz3 Cornelius, Oregon NRA Lifetime Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

To be fair we don't know the circumstances that led the CCW holder to fire. As we often say there is no 'one size fits all'.

5. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

What was known at the time of the TV report was that it was an armed robbery, the customer fired once, that the robber didn't 'turn on the customer and spray' rounds, and after being shot the robber fled, probably injured.

A co-worker of my mom's was robbed at gun point outside of the restaurant where they both worked. Although Will gave the guy the money he had, the armed robber then took him out to the woods outside of Portland and killed Will, leaving his kids orphans and his wife alone.

So everybody can deal with armed robbers as they see fit, but you can guess how it'll probably turn out if I am there and can do anything about it.

6. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

in a self defense situation a firearm should only be pulled if one feels their is immediate threat of death or major bodily injury.
    In that same train of thought if someone uses a firearm in the commission of a crime I can only assume they are willing and most likely to cause someone desth and/or major bodily harm.
    If someone uses a firearm during the commission of a crime and I'm armed in the immediate area I'm going to defend myself, my family, and others. I will not wait for someone to die before I act.
    By them pulling a firearm they have already threaten to kill someone.

7. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

I used to married to a bank branch manager. They got robbed about once a year. Give them the money and let them leave was the rule. It always worked, until it didn't. One of the robbers decided to pistol whip a teller. The scars will be there, both physical and emotional, for life. You never know whether they will leave or herd everyone into the back room and start executing them. If there's a chance to take them out, do it. Every time.

8. Robtheroofer

Robtheroofer Oak Harbor New Member

I don't see anything wrong with shooting the dirt bag so long as one has a clear and safe shot.

That just my opinion.

9. Osarion

Osarion Snohomish County, WA Well-Known Member

Yeah but man, you play a real dangerous game when you make the decision to do that. And it's not just you that will be affected by the outcome. I agree with other posters. No amount of money is worth risking your own or other innocent life. Honestly it's not even worth taking a life over.

But yeah, there is the argument that the "immediate and otherwise unavoidable risk of death or grave bodily harm" is already present when someone points a gun at another person and tells them 'the money or your life'.

Hope I never find myself in that situation as I definitely do not carry my gun into a bank. One wrong person bumping into my side would just have to yell something like HE'S GOT A GUN! ... might end badly :/

10. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

11. nammac

nammac I-5 Corridor - West of Portland Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Anyone who invades my personal space enough to bump into me and identify a properly concealed weapon... Yea thats kinda intimate and they sure better be buying me dinner!

12. Osarion

Osarion Snohomish County, WA Well-Known Member

I see someone appendix carries! :D

13. Pandaz3

Pandaz3 Cornelius, Oregon NRA Lifetime Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

Went to the bank yesterday, XDS 45 in front pocket and LCP Custom 380 in the back pocket. Fortunately, it wasn't being robbed.

14. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

If the criminal is obviously armed, or infers they are armed, then I would say a law abiding adult would have reason to at least draw a firearm. This isn't a "fair fight" where you have to wait for the criminal to reach for their weapon (whatever it is), it is a robbery in progress by an armed criminal. The person who draws, shoots and hits their target first wins.

15. BiggerHammer

BiggerHammer Deep in the Pacific Northwest. Active Member

A person who brandishes a firearm in a public place, especially during a robbery Needs to be shot period. Let the locals stack a few of them up and these idiots will start thinking twice about holding up banks.

16. nwslopoke

nwslopoke forest grove Well-Known Member

Years ago when I was young and broke (now I'm just broke ), I got jury duty on a case where a guy robbed & killed a couple going into a restaurant. It was a big deal on TV/papers but I had just got home out of the service and hadn't heard anything about it.

I was among the few unbiased folks in the area. I was pro death penalty and still black, as was the shooter. Both sides and the judge didn't want to cut me loose from the trial but it was scheduled to last weeks to a month. I couldn't afford it. Point is, this guy robbed a couple at gunpoint in a very public place and still killed them. You never know.

I've been at gun point many times, including by the Po Po and you never know what that person will do. I think in almost every case I would have been justified (except for the Po Po). Thank god California gun laws kept all those guns away from criminals.