JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Glad to hear that you and your GF are safe and sound. Thank you for sharing this unsettling yet reaffirming experience with the forum. Planning and preparedness, check. I am confused as to how you saw a pistol mag but continued with the deal but I may be misunderstanding the spacing and or timing of events so I digress. But let's not overlook two other factors that allowed you to do come out of this situation with optimal success. Your temperament and adherence to plan must be commended. Further proof, that the most important tool in your EDC is actually your brain. Don't believe me, go ask the previously mentioned bubblegum with the gun how his plan worked out?

But I do have a question for you: What does Trayvon Martin have to do with this situation? Why would you envoke the name of a 16 y.o. kid who was killed by an armed adult who so feared for his life and the safety of others that he decided to leave the safety of his vehicle and directly interact with the "threat"?! How's that for tactics??? And what does the race of this "Thug" have to do with anything? Would you have tried to disparage your attacker's race if it had been your own?! I highly doubt it and this is where rubber meets the roads people. You're proactively choosing to perpetuate AND deciminate stereotypes that suit your belief system. Race had no role to play in this story until YOU interjected it. So I ask again...why? Why is that so important to communicate this with the forum?

bubblegums come in all colors, shapes and sizes.

Tactics and KNOWLEDGE = good
Racism and ignorance = bad

As I see it, the problem is no that he inserted labels into his story (thug - true, young -true, Black - true), but that the there are members of the audience who have been trained by the media to condemn and fear labels. He didn't infer that the would-be robber was inferior or that his actions were a result of his genetic makeup. He merely added substance to his story. He could have said "young, black thug" which may have been more sensitive rather than invoking Trayvon Martin. But just as you accuse him of unnecessarily using racial stereotypes and implicit bias, you are pushing a political correct motive to disassociate ethnicity from any wrong doing. That is not how we overcome racial biases. He can't change that he is young and black and we don't need to hide or ignore it. Eliminating labels actually limits our capacity to use our imagination and narrows our creative-thinking potential. The goal should not be to fear and eliminate labels but rather to accept our uniqueness and differences. The left wants us to think everyone is the same - were are not. We are different. However, our differences don't make one better or worse, but we don't need to ignore those differences or pretend they don't exist. For example, my awesome neighbors are a Black -White couple, and the husband (Black) once told me "I think it's silly that people try to beat around the bush when talking to us about us being a multiracial family. We know we are. It doesn't bother us or make us uncomfortable and it shouldn't make other people uncomfortable." Pretending they aren't a multiracial family doesn't help people accept it as normal.

The kid chose to commit a crime and his behavior should offend you not that the narrator included his physical description to the story.

A gun didn't save me. I wouldn't have been able to draw on him.

Having a gun gives you options, not a guaranteed outcome. There will be many cases where one has a gun but drawing would be dumb. There will also be many cases where the situation evolves to a point where a gun is exactly what you need.

He wanted the victims to meet "at some dark apartment complex" for starters. That should have been warning enough, but apparently it wasn't. :rolleyes:

You make a lot of assumptions. The original meet was at a gas station. He tried to change it to the back of the complex after I arrived. I think he lures people by agreeing to a public place then trying to change it, and most won't leave since they drove there.

As I see it, the problem is no that he inserted labels into his story (thug - true, young -true, Black - true), but that the there are members of the audience who have been trained by the media to condemn and fear labels. He didn't infer that the would-be robber was inferior or that his actions were a result of his genetic makeup. He merely added substance to his story. He could have said "young, black thug" which may have been more sensitive rather than invoking Trayvon Martin. But just as you accuse him of unnecessarily using racial stereotypes and implicit bias, you are pushing a political correct motive to disassociate ethnicity from any wrong doing. That is not how we overcome racial biases. He can't change that he is young and black and we don't need to hide or ignore it. Eliminating labels actually limits our capacity to use our imagination and narrows our creative-thinking potential. The goal should not be to fear and eliminate labels but rather to accept our uniqueness and differences. The left wants us to think everyone is the same - were are not. We are different. However, our differences don't make one better or worse, but we don't need to ignore those differences or pretend they don't exist. For example, my awesome neighbors are a Black -White couple, and the husband (Black) once told me "I think it's silly that people try to beat around the bush when talking to us about us being a multiracial family. We know we are. It doesn't bother us or make us uncomfortable and it shouldn't make other people uncomfortable." Pretending they aren't a multiracial family doesn't help people accept it as normal.

The kid chose to commit a crime and his behavior should offend you not that the narrator included his physical description to the story.

Yup. All of the gas station attendants were black too. Including the one that immediately handed me his phone to call 911 and ran inside to alert the others. He even said I saw the gun and his face, I'm a witness. Good guy. The point of the reference to a person (never said who) was a general description. But apparently you must not use any description otherwise you upset the nwfa sjw's. The dispatcher can also not ask race for the guy who's feelings are hurt above, I can only say he's a human non binary individual apparently.

What a troll. The thug put a glock in my ribs and tried to rob me and some trolls are more concerned that I gave a description. YOU are the problem with society because you lack ANY form of logic.

Treyvon was a punk thug that got his just deserts from a wannabe copper while attempting to pound the wannabe's head into the concrete. No discussion of skin color needed.
A 16 year old minor is confronted by a 29/30 year old adult who leaves the safety of his vehicle with a loaded pistol to....do what? Tactically, it doesn't make any since to leave the safety of cover. And what again makes Trayvon such a "Thug"?! Do you use that verbiage for all bad guys or just some?

Again, what did you do at 16? And what do you know about this kid that you so believe he deserves to die?! Unbelievable how callous you are.

Lastly, it's not a "color" thing. Hadn't seen anyone use that verbiage. Race has been discussed because race was interjected in a capacity that didnt make since to me. I asked for clarification as to the application of race in his account.

But when race is brought up, people come out of the woodwork to bend over backwards in defense of someone they personally have never met! And why? Because I just wanted further clarification? None of you out there even have enough imagination to think that 1, the assailant could have just really looked like Trayvon Martin?! And guess what, that WOULD make since as to why the OP chose him. 2, the OP could have just been making a rude or at minimum a controversial comment, and guess what, that would make sense too. It happens. Either of those simple explanations could actually make sense. But....

That's not what I'm seeing though. It's a bunch of people knee jerk reacting on the subject of race. And again, I find it so fascinating how much debate is sparked by my simple question, straightforward question.

Why is it all the "patriots" are the most uncomfortable with the history of this country?

I bring this up because unfortunately I won't have time to respond to everyone's responses and I see a very common theme arising that I would like to briefly address.

Many of you continue to use crime statistics to communicate simply, blacks commit more crime. Got it, but the thing that kills me for the tactically minded detectives here is don't you ask why? And then don't you dig past the surface? Do You really believe taking into consideration the known historical disparities in laws that created inequalities of the gravest extreme over the past four centuries of shared existence on this continent, that the victimized group should be able to account for and rectify any and all issues that stem from that experience by now?

Oh yeah, and the entire time receiving pushback of the most violent kind from those that never wanted it to change! Those that still don't want things to change.

I don't get what this story has to do with Trayvon Martin, nor do I understand what race has to do with anything. Just saying.

Yup. All of the gas station attendants were black too. Including the one that immediately handed me his phone to call 911 and ran inside to alert the others. He even said I saw the gun and his face, I'm a witness. Good guy. The point of the reference to a person (never said who) was a general description. But apparently you must not use any description otherwise you upset the nwfa sjw's. The dispatcher can also not ask race for the guy who's feelings are hurt above, I can only say he's a human non binary individual apparently.

What a troll. The thug put a glock in my ribs and tried to rob me and some trolls are more concerned that I gave a description. YOU are the problem with society because you lack ANY form of logic.

All I've displayed is logic bibs. Yes the THUG did put a glock in your ribs. And I hope his stupid THUG bubblegum gets what he deserves! No problems there, he acted like a THUG who attempted an armed robbery.

Did Trayvon hold someone up at gunpoint? No

Did Trayvon get caught trying to sell value items on the web? NO

Did any of the circumstances in your scenario match that of the Trayvon Martin case? Answer, NO.

So back to my initial question that started all of this: why interject a Vailed Trayvon Martin reference as the only thing it has in common in a black dude and you could have picked and other black dude. And as I said in a recent post, there are actually reasons you could have mentioned TM, the dude could have looked like him or you could have just been making a snide remark. But there is no denying the TM case was controversial, you scenario not so much. So why interject everything that comes with the TM case when it has nothing to do here! You even talked about George Zimmerman? Only reason is to slander a dead 16 year old kid IMO.

And you put it out there. This is what I love about the modern world. People say stuff online, Then get asked about it and then it's unfair to ask a question they don't like and I'm a big meanie.

Why does any question about the application of race turn so many men into uncomfortable insecure lil snowflakes?

A 16 year old minor is confronted by a 29/30 year old adult who leaves the safety of his vehicle with a loaded pistol to....do what? Tactically, it doesn't make any since to leave the safety of cover. And what again makes Trayvon such a "Thug"?! Do you use that verbiage for all bad guys or just some?

Again, what did you do at 16? And what do you know about this kid that you so believe he deserves to die?! Unbelievable how callous you are.

Lastly, it's not a "color" thing. Hadn't seen anyone use that verbiage. Race has been discussed because race was interjected in a capacity that didnt make since to me. I asked for clarification as to the application of race in his account.

But when race is brought up, people come out of the woodwork to bend over backwards in defense of someone they personally have never met! And why? Because I just wanted further clarification? None of you out there even have enough imagination to think that 1, the assailant could have just really looked like Trayvon Martin?! And guess what, that WOULD make since as to why the OP chose him. 2, the OP could have just been making a rude or at minimum a controversial comment, and guess what, that would make sense too. It happens. Either of those simple explanations could actually make sense. But....

That's not what I'm seeing though. It's a bunch of people knee jerk reacting on the subject of race. And again, I find it so fascinating how much debate is sparked by my simple question, straightforward question.

Why is it all the "patriots" are the most uncomfortable with the history of this country?

I bring this up because unfortunately I won't have time to respond to everyone's responses and I see a very common theme arising that I would like to briefly address.

Many of you continue to use crime statistics to communicate simply, blacks commit more crime. Got it, but the thing that kills me for the tactically minded detectives here is don't you ask why? And then don't you dig past the surface? Do You really believe taking into consideration the known historical disparities in laws that created inequalities of the gravest extreme over the past four centuries of shared existence on this continent, that the victimized group should be able to account for and rectify any and all issues that stem from that experience by now?

Oh yeah, and the entire time receiving pushback of the most violent kind from those that never wanted it to change! Those that still don't want things to change.

The problem with people using crime statistics, on both sides of the political spectrum, is that they do not know how to properly analyze them. This includes statistics on police 'brutality' against minorities. To avoid a lengthy post full of links to studies and compiled data, I will simply say this:

When accounting for socioeconomic status, all ethnicities commit violent crimes at roughly the same rate. When accounting for socioeconomic status, police 'brutality' victims are represented at roughly the same rate across all ethnicities. What this can be interpreted as is that low socioeconomic status increases the chances that an individual of any ethnicity will engage in risky behavior, and that police interaction with low socioeconomic individuals have a higher chance of achieving a negative result than with people of high socioeconomic status. Being of low socioeconomic status, whether white or black, means exposure to many environmental factors which can negatively shape one's personality resulting in negative behavior outcomes (familial history of low socioeconomic status can also indicate possible genetic traits too which result in risky behavior and personality outcomes). This is not saying that racism and stereotyping do not exist, but rather that race plays less of a role in criminal behavior than people who do not know how to analyze statistics believe.

As I said before, the OP's comparison of the thug to Trayvon Martin was, in my opinion, insensitive, considering that Martin died that night. I believe Martin shouldn't have died that night, but inappropriate behavior on his part and that of the wannabe cop led to a child's death. But the OP might also have been trying to avoid triggering people by outright saying the kid was young and black, and instead included the comparison to a well-known individual who many consider to be a thug.

That last sentence really drives it home. One of those types that cares more that you mention his race, than what he did. Nobody made it into some derogatory race thing but the troll who globbed onto it and focused primarily on that. I wonder why....:rolleyes:

Just like the media who mentions a white offender, but they conspicuously often leave out (depending on the news outlet, the details of some offenders....:rolleyes:

Because calling out a description of the criminal who could have gotten 30 to life for armed robbery is bad....but the armed robber is ok. What a troll lol

Let's knock off the name calling, disagreeing is fine but let's keep it clean eh?

You said he held gun at waist level, where u couldnt take it, now he put it to your ribs? Why didnt u take it. Sounds a bit fishy sir, especially the fact that you just left and didnt fill out a police report, which wouldve led to an investigation, how, where, when did u meet this fellow, was it on a website, were they advertising something, did you make contact with them via phone, etc. All these things that would lead to the apprehension of so called suspect. But no you claim u just went to dinner. None of this adds up. Who robs someone with a magazine in hand, not in gun ready to go. That simply doesnt happen. Im sure all the non street smart suburbanites believe you, but i call major bs.

A gun to the ribs is quite a bit different than the description in the OP. And how did you know it was a Glock? Did the jab in the ribs feel like plastic more than steel?

Come on, that was funny. :D

Seriously though, you stated you didn't stick around for LE in your OP. Did you do anything to help them find this person? Or is there a guy out there with a gun doing this to other people because you wanted to make your dinner reservation?

I think we are done here, now take some time to review the forum rules #1 specifically, thanks.

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads