JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I'm on vacation at a place where no ccw with out of state permit, so I don't have a gun with me. Not that it would have helped.

Met to buy a collector's item. Guy kept trying to get me to meet at some dark apartment complex. I said no, let's meet at this gas station. I parked right in front of a camera. Well lit area. Guy puts the box in the back seat. Something is off. I see a pistol magazine shuffle in his hand. He's nervous and taking too long to put the box in the seat. I start thinking of how to take him down if he pulls a gun when he turns.

He steps away, no gun. I go to inspect the box...there's a bottle of vaseline in it!!! I turn to him and he has a gun out suddenly. "Give me your money give it to me now!!" He keeps repeating as he has the gun at his hip, like a low ready but not canted. I told him no. I couldn't do a gun disarmament from his low ready. I point at the camera and tell him there's a camera right there, he looks up at it. I had told my gf who was with me I parked in the camera area on purpose and would point at it to get him to look and distract him if anything happened. It worked. What didn't work is I couldn't take the gun from the low ready. They try to keep it low and not visible. Gun disarmament techniques in a dojo only work when the gun is extended and in your face.

We spin around as I try to circle him and grab him, gas station worker cleaning the parking lot walks buy, I tell that he's trying to rob me. The idiot thug who looks just like that kid shot in Florida by that guy we will not mention, goes running.

Gas station attendants and I called the cops. We had dinner reservations and my gf didn't want to wait so we told dispatch we were leaving. No one was hurt, he ran to those apartments and I kept my money.

A gun didn't save me. I wouldn't have been able to draw on him. Thinking ahead about camera angles and distraction techniques did.

There were a lot of red flags. I should have avoided the guy, gone with my gut.

A cool head, a plan made ahead of time and strategic location helped save my bubblegum.

Strangest thing of all: I had no fear and no shakes, during or after. It was insane but no tunnel vision.

Gas station attendants saw the whole thing. Insane.

Back to vacation...

Too often people think it can't happen to me.

Good thing you thought ahead and had your head on a swivel.

I think if I hadn't parked the way I did and told my gf the plan, I may have been killed.

It was like following my training/plan rehearsed in my head and explained to my gf minutes before just in case anything happened.

Strategy honestly trumps a gun in most cases. I would likely have been shot if I had a gun and drew.

The thing that gets me is I had zero fear or shakes during or after. No idea why. Someone put a gun to my stomach and tried to rob me!!

Then again i was not scared when I went skydiving just a day earlier. It was actually easy to jump.

Trust your gut, stay in public, well lit areas with cameras, if anything seems off walk away. Of course my gf was in the car so I couldn't just go inside the gas station and leave her there...

Ultimately he got nothing from me, we made our reservations, no one got shot. Don't know if they got him with a K9. I'm on vacation and no time for this....

You didn't get him with your ninja stars? Or the throwing knife?:confused:

Seriously though.....sounds like red flags all the way. I would have never went that far......

No collector item is worth me meeting a stranger after dark even if I was packing.

Sounds like you're planning saved your bacon.

Glad to hear that you and your GF are safe and sound. Thank you for sharing this unsettling yet reaffirming experience with the forum. Planning and preparedness, check. I am confused as to how you saw a pistol mag but continued with the deal but I may be misunderstanding the spacing and or timing of events so I digress. But let's not overlook two other factors that allowed you to do come out of this situation with optimal success. Your temperament and adherence to plan must be commended. Further proof, that the most important tool in your EDC is actually your brain. Don't believe me, go ask the previously mentioned bubblegum with the gun how his plan worked out?

But I do have a question for you: What does Trayvon Martin have to do with this situation? Why would you envoke the name of a 16 y.o. kid who was killed by an armed adult who so feared for his life and the safety of others that he decided to leave the safety of his vehicle and directly interact with the "threat"?! How's that for tactics??? And what does the race of this "Thug" have to do with anything? Would you have tried to disparage your attacker's race if it had been your own?! I highly doubt it and this is where rubber meets the roads people. You're proactively choosing to perpetuate AND deciminate stereotypes that suit your belief system. Race had no role to play in this story until YOU interjected it. So I ask again...why? Why is that so important to communicate this with the forum?

bubblegums come in all colors, shapes and sizes.

Tactics and KNOWLEDGE = good
Racism and ignorance = bad

so... you saw him fumbling with a mag, then decided to turn your back on him anyway even though you thought he was shady? Is that right?

Glad to hear that you and your GF are safe and sound. Thank you for sharing this unsettling yet reaffirming experience with the forum. Planning and preparedness, check. I am confused as to how you saw a pistol mag but continued with the deal but I may be misunderstanding the spacing and or timing of events so I digress. But let's not overlook two other factors that allowed you to do come out of this situation with optimal success. Your temperament and adherence to plan must be commended. Further proof, that the most important tool in your EDC is actually your brain. Don't believe me, go ask the previously mentioned bubblegum with the gun how his plan worked out?

But I do have a question for you: What does Trayvon Martin have to do with this situation? Why would you envoke the name of a 16 y.o. kid who was killed by an armed adult who so feared for his life and the safety of others that he decided to leave the safety of his vehicle and directly interact with the "threat"?! How's that for tactics??? And what does the race of this "Thug" have to do with anything? Would you have tried to disparage your attacker's race if it had been your own?! I highly doubt it and this is where rubber meets the roads people. You're proactively choosing to perpetuate AND deciminate stereotypes that suit your belief system. Race had no role to play in this story until YOU interjected it. So I ask again...why? Why is that so important to communicate this with the forum?

bubblegums come in all colors, shapes and sizes.

Tactics and KNOWLEDGE = good
Racism and ignorance = bad

Does nationally compiled crime data for the last 10 years which clearly allow for a certain degree of accurate profiling offend you?

I prefer to judge people based on the content of their character, but when dealing with strangers, prevailing, winning and living is more important than being naively polite or hopeful.

Everything seems to be pretty well covered in previous posts, except...
.....did you get to keep his Vaseline ?

The way things are these days, You might be charged with robbery !

Last Edited:
Everything seems to be pretty well covered in previou except...
.....did you get to keep his Vaseline ?

The way things are these days, You might be charged with robbery

Funny to go through the effort to dupe someone into meeting to rob them, why bother putting vaseline in the box, it could have been empty.

Petty thugs are never smart. The smart criminals get into politics.

f037e2bc2190a2718ea6cba8d93a979f.gif

Not sure what classifieds or how you came across the ad for his collectible, but it is so very important to take proper precautions.

Follow your instinct.

I know when I meet someone for a gun purchase (me the buyer with the cash), I also look at feedback or rating to see if I am dealing with someone reputable.

You can never be careful enough. Glad it ended without you being hurt. Parking in front of the camera was quite smart and getting him to look up at it was also quick thinking to distract him.

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top