JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Let me try this from a different angle.
Lets say you see someone breaking into your car. You go out there and confront them. They are not armed or threatening you, but it looks like they are going to run. Can you hold them at gunpoint?
Cars are not "real property". Maybe with the vehicle as a residence it might be. Did you even read the legal cite? But even if not a residence, the legal answer is still "maybe".

But unless you actually start firing, you are not "using" deadly force in WA.

Try That In A Small Town, indeed...
The same laws apply whether this happened in Ephrata or Everett. Just in the more progressive municipality they seem to like to take it as far as possible, ending with a much more minor charge like "illegal discharge of a firearm" or some other BS as some type of moral superiority victory that still may not end in conviction. Usually a plea bargain. But they will hold you and aggressively investigate to find anything that might stick as a warning to others that refuse to be passive, bankrupting you on the process.

No, not using. It would fall under coercion or illegal detention or something along those lines.
News to me. The line between pointing and firing is pretty fine.

I'll have to read the law you linked above and process this all. Thank you for taking the time to share that and discuss.

News to me. The line between pointing and firing is pretty fine.

I'll have to read the law you linked above and process this all. Thank you for taking the time to share that and discuss.
You are welcome. I don't know crap about ORS or other states, though, so I can't really help with any of that. Just WA and MT, and they both have had some major changes in the last few years.

The same laws apply whether this happened in Ephrata or Everett. Just in the more progressive municipality they seem to like to take it as far as possible, ending with a much more minor charge like "illegal discharge of a firearm" or some other BS as some type of moral superiority victory that still may not end in conviction. Usually a plea bargain. But they will hold you and aggressively investigate to find anything that might stick as a warning to others that refuse to be passive, bankrupting you on the process.
True... a small-town prosecutor is a key part of the difference when he knows all his friends and neighbors will say "you tried to make your bones at the expense of one of our own defending what's is so we're done with you, take your crimhumper crap to Seattle cuz you got no future in this town."

Interesting conversation.

If someone believes they're in danger of GBH or death, then producing a firearm to stop the threat seems a proper way to respond. In the case of this farmer, he showed great restraint by not killing the thug who didn't want to drop his club.

The problem is, we can't read another person's mind and know if they are going to escalate from menacing to murder. In the case of the Petit family, the perps started out demanding money and ended up committing murder. https://murderpedia.org/male.H/h/hayes-steven.htm

Some people are killed by unarmed assailants.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top