JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@Spitpatch , I truly value your opinion, but is that dog still guarding our stuff? Seems to me that they have been absent, especially in Oregon and Washington for the last couple of years.

Is it better to donate NRA, or other organizations like OFF and SAF, who seem to be doing more to help?

I guess that's the real question.

@Spitpatch , I truly value your opinion, but is that dog still guarding our stuff? Seems to me that they have been absent, especially in Oregon and Washington for the last couple of years.

Is it better to donate NRA, or other organizations like OFF and SAF, who seem to be doing more to help?

Abstract analogies don't fit this situation Imo. The non-abstract reality is that most nra $ is spent on keeping WLP out of jail, then on WLP cronies, leaving very little spent on their actual mission. If someone wants to donate to WLP's personal defense funds and high paid salaries that's their choice. I would rather donate to orgs like GOA, FPC, and SAF that are winning pretty much daily now in preserving our rights in the courts.

I can only lead y'all to water, I can't make you drink. Take of this what you will.
This is what has been happening.
Many of us know that the NRA is doing some good around the country. But unfortunately, their efforts are severely hampered by all the negative attention WLP brings and a huge board that makes actual reform nearly impossible. I've known folks and read about others that ended up just crashing their lances into the windmills because of how things work. I'll still vote for those willing to reform.
Gun controllers still think of the NRA as the 800 pound gorilla in the room. That's a good thing.
Closer to a 200 pound orangutan at this point IMHO. The other groups seem to be doing the heavy lifting now. The other groups are more frugal with their funds as well. I get emails from other groups I support with updates and I'll throw some money their way. This costs them very little. On the other hand, the NRA has likely spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars in postage and printing to me alone over the years. News flash, it is no longer 1975.

I still think the NRA does some good and their education wing has some very good program material. It's just hard to be effective when you are always on defense due to WLP and the flying monkeys that support him.

Thanks to all that have done their duty and then some, to try and save the NRA.
Nowadays, as always really, if you don't like something about an organization that you favor then DO SOMETHING to change it. Sitting around complaining only breeds negativity and that makes it harder for those who really care to get ANYTHING DONE.

I did, and I make posts on this forum encouraging others that are eligible to vote to do so as well, and I list the names of the recommended reform candidates. I'll make another post when the ballots start arriving in the spring.

As noted above, I make posts on ballot recommendations. Just do a keyword search and it should come up, or find it here:

Also, the two best resources for finding out who to vote for and other goings-on within the NRA are the blogs NRA in Danger and Jeff Knox's Firearms Coalition:

You gotta start somewhere. The mindset of "you can't do anything, it doesn't really matter" is exactly what the scum holding the EVP position wants.
True, WLP has done a very good job of packing the Board with a bunch of sycophantic bootlickers, but in order to have any chance at change, particularly through the legal system, you have to have standing, i.e. you need to be a sitting Board member. So maybe only four this year, maybe another four more next year. But you can be assured that if no one does anything, absolutely nothing will change. My kudos and respect for the four reform candidates making the effort.
Thank you for the valuable information and your honorable support.
I hope that members will now try and do what needs to be done.

Another tid-bit, NRA members that feel they are getting spammed, either by mail or snail email can contact NRA customer service (a phone call is best way) and ask for a no contact order.
It's that simple.

Another tid-bit, NRA members that feel they are getting spammed, either by mail or snail email can contact NRA customer service (a phone call is best way) and ask for a no contact order.
It's that simple.
It may take more than one attempt, but they will eventually stop contacting you with marketing material and phone calls if you request it. Other than the monthly American Rifleman magazine, I haven't received anything in the mail from the NRA in years.

It may take more than one attempt, but they will eventually stop contacting you with marketing material and phone calls if you request it. Other than the monthly American Rifleman magazine, I haven't received anything in the mail from the NRA in years.
Nor have I.
Although I chose to receive correspondence from the Washington coordinator for NRA-ILA grassroots alerts. It keeps me informed.

"In perilous times, there is no greater sin than inaction." Rajan Laad

Years ago SAF was hounding me relentlessly before I had to resort to tell them to stop with a phone call.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from donating to any organization working against gun control, and while the NRA may seem (to some) to be "absent" on local measures, the same claim cannot be voiced regarding big time stuff (Supreme Court Judges, Heller, etc.,etc.) that may very well affect Oregon and Washington gun owners to a far greater degree and for far longer.

Members here have gone to great length on this thread (and others like it) to show laundry lists of NRA accomplishments and battles, and those Members are a far better source of such information than myself. Claiming the NRA "does nothing" is the worst kind of ignorance, because it is willful ignorance. The information is readily available. Discounting the concrete accomplishments and ongoing efforts because of the behavior of a rich, fat, unethical, self-centered greedy arsehole running the outfit would be identical to discounting the concrete accomplishments of the Trump administration (run by the precisely same type of guy).

The important thing to remember is that the NRA is the most powerful lobbying organization that has ever existed on this planet (thank God they are on our side), and the oldest civil rights organization in this country; defending a right specifically articulated (not imagined) in our Constitution.

My donations to the NRA decreased when I asked that LaPierre issue a written address to the Membership acknowledging mistakes, confirming the facts, dismissing the falsehoods and articulating a plan for prevention of the same occurrences.

The terse reply advised such was not going to happen.

It might be a sick dog, but I ain't gonna shoot it as long as it fights better and stronger than any other.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from donating to any organization working against gun control, and while the NRA may seem (to some) to be "absent" on local measures, the same claim cannot be voiced regarding big time stuff (Supreme Court Judges, Heller, etc.,etc.) that may very well affect Oregon and Washington gun owners to a far greater degree and for far longer.

Members here have gone to great length on this thread (and others like it) to show laundry lists of NRA accomplishments and battles, and those Members are a far better source of such information than myself. Claiming the NRA "does nothing" is the worst kind of ignorance, because it is willful ignorance. The information is readily available. Discounting the concrete accomplishments and ongoing efforts because of the behavior of a rich, fat, unethical, self-centered greedy arsehole running the outfit would be identical to discounting the concrete accomplishments of the Trump administration (run by the precisely same type of guy).

The important thing to remember is that the NRA is the most powerful lobbying organization that has ever existed on this planet (thank God they are on our side), and the oldest civil rights organization in this country; defending a right specifically articulated (not imagined) in our Constitution.

My donations to the NRA decreased when I asked that LaPierre issue a written address to the Membership acknowledging mistakes, confirming the facts, dismissing the falsehoods and articulating a plan for prevention of the same occurrences.

The terse reply advised such was not going to happen.

It might be a sick dog, but I ain't gonna shoot it as long as it fights better and stronger than any other.
This is really the post I agree with and identify with the most. I would really hate to see the NRA disband, but I sure would love to see them re-invent themselves.

I used to be on one of the Friends of NRA Committees years ago. My attitude has been somewhat tainted by a friend that used to chair one of those committees for several years. When the NRA cut out some of the local funding for youth activities, he not only resigned from the FNRA Committee, he quit the local gun club because they required NRA membership. I guess there's a point where you don't want to be seen as the abused spouse that keeps taking the abuser back in your arms.

I'm an NRA life member. I paid a thousand bucks for it years ago and proudly supported them before the shenanigans came out about La Pierre. I still get their magazines and they still send me donation cards, but these days I've been sending my money to GOA. GOA is on the right track and really helped us here in Oregon from the onslaught that was 114. My wifey just sent in my life membership for GOA yesterday as a matter of fact! It's easy to do and I'd encourage anyone and everyone to join up and help in the fight!

Does NRA deserve your money? The short answer is yes.
Like many of you, I am pretty unhappy with LaPierre and his egregious leadership of the NRA. Just like I am pretty unhappy with Donald Trump's egregious personality. But at least the NRA is on the side of right when it comes to the 2nd Amendment, just like Donald Trump is on the side of right when it comes to our country's governance. Children cry and wail if they don't get exactly what they want. Adults learn quickly that the real world doesn't work that way. The real world is full of stench and pimples and warts and imperfections and mistakes and bad judgement, et al. The best adults can do is strive for betterment, not perfection. I support the NRA not because it is perfect, but because it is on the right side of history, and on the right side of the Constitution.

Because......
1702244056509.png

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR