JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Glad to answer...

1. Dog gets on rabbit scent, goes looking for rabbit, wastes my time, flushes birds I don't want flushed because they are out of range.

2. Dog chases rabbit, runs off while we are trying to hunt birds.

3. Dog scents rabbit, follows rabbit trail, rabbit starts running, dog continues to follow... This is what causes pointing breeds to start breaking point, flushing birds before the gunner is present/ready, and breaking point also causes birds to run, then dog chases bird, bird flushes out of range.

4. A pointing dog will range up to 1/4 mile (or more... field trials are often on horseback), although many hunters keep their pointers in closer, the whole idea of a pointing dog is for them to indicate a bird, hold the bird at point (dog makes bird afraid to move), wait there for the hunter to arrive and command the dog to flush the bird... thereby giving the hunter a close in shot on the bird.

5. A pointer and his hunter are a partnership that is a refined activity (with many many hours of training put into it). A pointing dog that chases rabbits is not much use to a bird hunter. If I wanted a rabbit dog, I would have bought a Beagle. In fact, several of my Heinz dogs could do the job very well! :) If I wanted a flushing dog, I would get a Springer Spaniel and work him in close like flushing dogs are intended to do (many of them will stay close naturally, it's in the genes, just like pointing and ranging out is in the pointer's genes).

Is having a dog that does both not practical? Or is it too much for certain breeds?

Is having a dog that does both not practical? Or is it too much for certain breeds?

Hunting rabbits with any pointer will ruin the dog for hunting birds. The reality is that no pointing dog, no matter the breed of pointer, can do both. Once they start chasing rabbits, they will no longer point birds properly. The hunter must chastise his pointer for getting on a rabbit... the dog can tell the difference in scent. It would be like allowing your kid to watch Tellytubbies when he is supposed to be brushing his teeth... he knows better and the parent's job is to keep him on track!!

Trust me on this! Re-read my answer (above) and see if you think that is a desirable outcome. It might not happen after the first time a pointer gets distracted, but it will happen!!!

I'm not sure about a flushing breed being able to do both. Maybe. Flushers run back and forth to pick up the scent of a game bird and then jump the bird. How that would work on rabbits... IDK. As long as the dog wasn't following the rabbit out farther, it might be ok. But flushers are supposed to stay within 25yds, so that when the bird flushes, the hunter can get a shot that is less than 40yds or so. If the flusher starts ranging out too far, the hunter must call him in. Could be a PITA if the flusher got in the habit of moving farther away and constantly had to be called back. I wouldn't do it.

A guy that wants to hunt both birds and rabbits with a dog needs two dogs!!! In the same manner that a guy that wants to hunt birds and elk needs two guns... you get a shotgun for birds, and a rifle for elk... the right tool for each job! (Imagine using a 7mmMag to hunt pheasant, or a O/U to hunt elk... I suppose one could, but it really wouldn't work very well, yes?)

Last Edited:
Im certainly not qualified to say, but know that just training my dog to sit, stay and recall on command takes many hours of training. I cant imagine training a dual purpose hunting dog to keep track of both disciplines. I suppose somewhere someone has done it, but my guess is its not practical. I have a friend training his bird dog and hes a year into training it and still counting sessions including professional help ($).

Im certainly not qualified to say, but know that just training my dog to sit, stay and recall on command takes many hours of training. I cant imagine training a dual purpose hunting dog to keep track of both disciplines. I suppose somewhere someone has done it, but my guess is its not practical. I have a friend training his bird dog and hes a year into training it and still counting sessions including professional help ($).

The German Shorthair Pointer, the German Wirehair Pointer, and the Vizla, among just a few others, are known as "Versatile Hunting Dogs". They can do more than one thing... But the "versatile" means pointing, retrieving, and "water work", ie, ducks and geese. Tho Vizla's really don't enjoy the water in my experience. Some GSPs enjoy water, some don't. And almost all Wirehairs and Dratharrs (sp) that I have seen LOVE water.

No professional pointer trainer that I know would ever say it's ok to try to train a pointer to hunt both birds and rabbits. It's just not compatible. And remember, my background is running the German Shorthair Pointer club locally for 8yrs. We trained our dogs together, had outings, hunting trips, and put on several field trials each year. You will hear/read a lot of (gab) from folks on the internet at various forums... IMO few know what they are talking about. Anybody thinking about trying to get a pointer to do both needs to canvass a few professional pointer trainers first!!!

Fantastic info btw

I had been thinking of a Norbottenspetts or Finnish Spitz but they have distances out to 3/4 of a mile, a bit far for my liking

Hmmmm, interesting dogs. The "bark" pointing might work for you... could catch up to the dog. But I hope you are in good shape for all that walking.

Other than that, I could not honestly recommend a pointing breed for you. Sounds like some research into flushing breeds might be best. I'm sorry that I don't have much to offer in the way of info on flushing breeds.

Hmmmm, interesting dogs. The "bark" pointing might work for you... could catch up to the dog. But I hope you are in good shape for all that walking.

Other than that, I could not honestly recommend a pointing breed for you. Sounds like some research into flushing breeds might be best. I'm sorry that I don't have much to offer in the way of info on flushing breeds.

No worries, you've given me a lot of useful stuff to think about. Thanks

No worries, you've given me a lot of useful stuff to think about. Thanks

You might consider a Labrador Retriever. I had a lab/shepard mix (family pet) that loved to get deep into bramble piles and would find every little animal in there, often flushing out rabbits and pheasants.

My last bird hunting partner had a lab that was fabulous on pheasants! That dog had a nose to find em, stayed close enough, and would go into any brush, or reeds (secret hunting grounds), and retrieved on land or water. I could see that dog doing ok on rabbits. One MUST make sure the lab is from hunting stock, as there are a lot of pet breeders out there. It's not cheap, but the buyer should also insist that the lab has certified to be free of hip problems... the bane of labradors.

Flushing dog - Wikipedia

Last Edited:
Thanks. Bot Flies don't get through the hide, on the norm. From the way the guy I spoke with explained, when he dressed out several rabbits, there were worms everywhere within the meaty flesh. Given that, I never hunted rabbit for food. Based on responses here, I'm thinking the guy was blowing smoke.
It's very rare to have worms in the meat. Some will get under the skin, but not in the meat. Even a rabbit full of bot fly larvae is safe to eat once you remove the larva amd cook.
I've even read some native american tribes cooked and ate the larva.
I'll pass on the larva.

I've ate a lot of things others would wretch. To include biting the heads off lizards. Seeing a Bot Fly maggot in my kill, I'd leave it lay.
Of course it would depend how hungry I was. And, I'm not that "dare me" doing as I was in my earlier years. LOL

I'll just take your word for it!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads