JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why is that? Just curious

Glad to answer...

1. Dog gets on rabbit scent, goes looking for rabbit, wastes my time, flushes birds I don't want flushed because they are out of range.

2. Dog chases rabbit, runs off while we are trying to hunt birds.

3. Dog scents rabbit, follows rabbit trail, rabbit starts running, dog continues to follow... This is what causes pointing breeds to start breaking point, flushing birds before the gunner is present/ready, and breaking point also causes birds to run, then dog chases bird, bird flushes out of range.

4. A pointing dog will range up to 1/4 mile (or more... field trials are often on horseback), although many hunters keep their pointers in closer, the whole idea of a pointing dog is for them to indicate a bird, hold the bird at point (dog makes bird afraid to move), wait there for the hunter to arrive and command the dog to flush the bird... thereby giving the hunter a close in shot on the bird.

5. A pointer and his hunter are a partnership that is a refined activity (with many many hours of training put into it). A pointing dog that chases rabbits is not much use to a bird hunter. If I wanted a rabbit dog, I would have bought a Beagle. In fact, several of my Heinz dogs could do the job very well! :) If I wanted a flushing dog, I would get a Springer Spaniel and work him in close like flushing dogs are intended to do (many of them will stay close naturally, it's in the genes, just like pointing and ranging out is in the pointer's genes).

Last Edited:
By the way...

I feel I should follow up on this. Rabbits at the ranch were productive, and really good. No fleas ticks and clean healthy liver.

Plate of 2 quartered and salt and peppered befor the grill.

Capture2.JPG

Few years back I thought one rabbit had tularemia and I had it dropped off to the ODFW in Adair. Luckily it wasn't infected. I had a scare though with the cleaning I needed to do.

I won't hunt to eat rabbits anymore, they are too flea infested.

Do a quick interweb search for "warbles in rabbits".

~Whitney
Thanks. Bot Flies don't get through the hide, on the norm. From the way the guy I spoke with explained, when he dressed out several rabbits, there were worms everywhere within the meaty flesh. Given that, I never hunted rabbit for food. Based on responses here, I'm thinking the guy was blowing smoke.

I simply cannot count the number of Strange Critters I have eaten: Dog, Cat, Rat, Rattle SNAKE , Lizzard, Sea Gull:mad::mad::mad:, just to name a few and IIRC they all tasted really good except the Sea Gull :mad::mad::mad:but I did eat them All!!! :):):)

I love bullfrog legs. I do them up the same as I do fried chicken.
They're great as an appetizer, or heck, the meal. My problem, I never buy enough of them and want more!!
I also learned, don't get all, here, you gotta try this. Keep comments to yourself, or, nah they taste a little like a swamp. Steer others away from liking them. ;) :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top