JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
so Ive tried a few stoves acquired over the years of backpacking.

(L to R) Jetboil, Brunton Raptor, alcohol penny stove, and a wood burning DIY version of the expensive Solo Stove.

0927172120_HDR.jpg

for me the best stove is the Jetboil. Self contained (as shown including fuel cell) is 1lb 3oz. Its unique burner coil is more efficient than an open canister stove like the Brunton (or a pocket rocket) because it distributes the heat and helps against wind. .

Ive occasionally used the Brunton Raptor stove mostly in summer when weather is nice cause these types don't have any wind protection and that can easily double boil or cook time. I don't recommend the Brunton cause the igniter broke and I haven't used it much, cheaper knock offs are available on Amazon. Fits in the pot shown with the fuel canister, lighter than the jetboil (less efficient). That assembly fits inside the larger pot behind it (pots are Snowpeak brand... expensive, not worth it for the price you can get cheaper ones from GSI brand that works the same.

The penny stove shown is reliable and you can run Heet fuel or denatured alcohol available anywhere. Boil times are easily double a canister stove and you have to carry a fuel bottle (not shown) so put it all together in the small pot and it weighs about the same as the canister setup.

I dont recommend the Solo Stove at all. Mine was a DIY version of the name brand: Lite
it worked well for what it is, very efficient... for open wood flame. Boil times were about double a canister but it takes a lot of twig collecting and prepping the fire in the can. While its burning and cooking you have to keep adding twigs. Turns the pot black, permanently, and messy to handle and clean up. Also gotta let the stove burn out and cool to put away. Not worth the hassle and not worth relying on if SHTF...

yup, one of the cheapest and easiest stoves. This one I made with the jets on the inside to aim the flame closer to the center for a smaller compact pot. If you put them on the outside of the rim it can work better for larger diameter pots.

View attachment 394029

you do have to build your own pot stand to set it in...
View attachment 394032

the penny stove is reliable and one of the easiest alcohol stoves to make at home.
Nice!

so Ive tried a few stoves acquired over the years of backpacking.

(L to R) Jetboil, Brunton Raptor, alcohol penny stove, and a wood burning DIY version of the expensive Solo Stove.

View attachment 394042

for me the best stove is the Jetboil. Self contained (as shown including fuel cell) is 1lb 3oz. Its unique burner coil is more efficient than an open canister stove like the Brunton (or a pocket rocket) because it distributes the heat and helps against wind. .

Ive occasionally used the Brunton Raptor stove mostly in summer when weather is nice cause these types don't have any wind protection and that can easily double boil or cook time. I don't recommend the Brunton cause the igniter broke and I haven't used it much, cheaper knock offs are available on Amazon. Fits in the pot shown with the fuel canister, lighter than the jetboil (less efficient). That assembly fits inside the larger pot behind it (pots are Snowpeak brand... expensive, not worth it for the price you can get cheaper ones from GSI brand that works the same.

The penny stove shown is reliable and you can run Heet fuel or denatured alcohol available anywhere. Boil times are easily double a canister stove and you have to carry a fuel bottle (not shown) so put it all together in the small pot and it weighs about the same as the canister setup.

I dont recommend the Solo Stove at all. Mine was a DIY version of the name brand: Lite
it worked well for what it is, very efficient... for open wood flame. Boil times were about double a canister but it takes a lot of twig collecting and prepping the fire in the can. While its burning and cooking you have to keep adding twigs. Turns the pot black, permanently, and messy to handle and clean up. Also gotta let the stove burn out and cool to put away. Not worth the hassle and not worth relying on if SHTF...

Always forget about the jetboil in conversation, but spot on. We have one of there ti versions, forget exactly which one. Extremely efficient.

I like those little Esbit pocket stoves ... The are pretty small and used to be cheap and easy to find.
Not sure about now ... mine followed me home from the Army and that was a more than a few days ago...:D
Andy
Esbit stoves and fuel are available at Sportsman's Warehouse. (I bought my first one at a PX in Germany in 1978). BiMart carries a clone of this, along with fuel. They work well, if you can get fuel re-supplied.

For a long-term bug-out stove, you may want to look into the Solo Stove (Ultra-Efficient Wood Burning Backpacking Camp Stoves & Fire Pits):
upload_2017-9-28_9-10-48.jpeg
which burns twigs or grass, and is a Rocket Stove design.You may even make your own.
Rocket stove - Wikipedia
upload_2017-9-28_9-15-2.jpeg

Cheers!

I have not read through this post so don't know if it has been suggested already. Anyway, I've used the Bleuet Brand stoves for a number of years while in SAR. I also carried one while I was in the RVN and found it to be Excellent. They haven't changed in 50+ years so that says something about the design, as least in my opinion. About the only thing I found as a slight drawback is that they don't function properly if placed directly on a snow or ice covered surface OR above about 14K feet elevation. As long as you use the included plastic stand the snow/ice is not an Issue. Just my 2 cents from experience.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have not read through this post so don't know if it has been suggested already. Anyway, I've used the Bleuet Brand stoves for a number of years while in SAR. I also carried one while I was in the RVN and found it to be Excellent. They haven't changed in 50+ years so that says something about the design, as least in my opinion. About the only thing I found as a slight drawback is that they don't function properly if placed directly on a snow or ice covered surface OR above about 14K feet elevation. As long as you use the included plastic stand the snow/ice is not an Issue. Just my 2 cents from experience.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yah good stoves. There initial drawback was proprietary fuel canisters which were pierced. They swapped over to the standard screw on types if I recall correctly. We had a wicked nice & light really hi output lantern which ran off of the old needle pierce cans. Dunno where that skipped off to amongst our many moves...

Yah good stoves... Dunno where that skipped off to amongst our many moves...
Still have mine as does My Bride. We were both in ESAR/WESAR and met at a WESAR Conference! Even with passing along several pieces of gear I still have a fair amount. So, I figure we'll make out OKay if and when. Those years taught me many, many things that have come in more than Handy over the years. :):):)

Trangia Spirit Burner Alcohol Stove Ultralight Backpacking/Camping + Windshield | eBay

This is what I used when I did 2 end to end trips on the AT as well as the Esbit stove shown before. I was also a AT Ridge Runner with the Forest Service for 14 years and I patrolled the section in NH from Hanover to Franconia . I was out for anywhere from 7-10 days at a time and both of those seemed to be the best overall pack stoves for me. The Trangia has the advantage of being able to simmer, where the Esbit doesn't . The Esbit I just used to boil water for coffeee and side dish's with and the Trangia for cooking real meals where you wanted some kinda temperature control.

Both of those together with fuel weigh way less than 95% of the pack stoves that have tanks, plus the Trangia you can get some type of fuel most anyplace off trail, even if at a back woods gas station. I used the "HEET" stuff myself, it burns better IMHO and with no soot. I get about a week out of one of those HEET bottles and 5-6 Esbit tablets,with hardly any weight at all, and they both work at all altitudes,,not like some tank type stoves.

Those wood burners really make a mess of your pans , even the best leave soot on the bottom from what I've seen. I want to spend time hiking, not scrubbing the bottom of my pans and with those you have no real control over the heat other than by the size of your fire. Expensive for most of them too!!

The Esbit, and Tranzia both you can probably still buy for 20-25 bucks, with fuel. Pretty hard to beat them IMHO. Back when I bought mine both cost me <10 bucks at the time and they have both had been used daily for 16-18 years and they still work just fine and I still use them occasionally.

Last Edited:
...on a related note...

If you're going to design a million similar attachments for a quart bottle of propane....

71aT91HdoiL._SX425_.jpg

...then why not make a 2-burner unit...THEN, offer an optional 90 degree elbow / adapter so you can also use it on....

003040054_1.jpg

...maybe not exactly "BoB" - sized, but you could keep that in a vehicle, no problem. Heck, I'd buy it.

...of course, as has already been mentioned, we could all just also.....

burning-fire-campfire-camp_rigiborug_thumbnail-small01.jpg

...o_O

...on a related note...

If you're going to design a million similar attachments for a quart bottle of propane....

View attachment 394256

...then why not make a 2-burner unit...THEN, offer an optional 90 degree elbow / adapter so you can also use it on....

View attachment 394257

...maybe not exactly "BoB" - sized, but you could keep that in a vehicle, no problem. Heck, I'd buy it.

...of course, as has already been mentioned, we could all just also.....

View attachment 394258

...o_O

Still have yet to give the small bottle filler adapter we got a try...

But, something to think on if you have appliances which use the small bottles. Ours are currently hooked up to a big bottle with a "tree" & hoses.

Yeah, manifolds and hoses work, too (I've got a 2-burner Coleman hooked to a 20 lb. bottle via hose, in permanent residence on my back porch, in case of power outage), but a more compact way to do it is to just screw into the bottle directly.
I was just wondering why no one's done this yet....not exactly rocket science.

I just bought my son a Barocook flameless cooker.
https://www.amazon.com/Barocook-Flameless-Cooker-Rectangular-482865/dp/B00DPHPIOS

Due to Colorado having so many fire bans and I wanted something that was small and could stay in his car. This is very light weigh and super easy way to heat food while out in the woods. It is a pricey unit and the fuel packets are also but how often is it going to be used? With freeze dried foods all you need is hot water and this system heats enough to turn all FD foods into a meal. I bought the 50 g. fuel packets for more heat and this system will keep things warm for 1-2 hours if you leave the lid on.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top