JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife and I finally moved into our new home. I remodeled a 2x4 constructed barn of my dads that was built in a slab to 2x6 construction, insulated the walls and floor and made a 750sqf "Apartment/mother in law" in the 1200sqf building. So there is still 500ish sqf of shop/garage space.

We have 10 foot ceilings and the place heats up fairly quick with a "big buddy" propane heater. And an electric wall heater (1500w). I need to get a wood stove so that I can heat with wood, we have a lot of it, it's WAY cheeper AND we have quite a few power outages throughout the winter.

I don't want to be heated out of the place and have to open windows to regulate temp as it's such a small space. I need something fairly small. I had my eyes on the "cubic mini" but to get the right set up it's like $1200. Looking for something cheeper.

What would y'all recommend? Size, brand, model… never bought a stove before. Idk if it realistic but a small wall mounted one would be cool. 🤷🏻‍♂️ any ideas?

Ours is an Osborne and works well. There is a bit of learning curve to wood heat. It's easy to see there is room in the stove for another stick of wood and then end up having to open windows. Also only burn dry, well seasoned wood. Hardwoods are best and stay away from pitchy Fir and Pine. You want a clean burn with very little smoke.

Suitable used stoves were difficult to find a couple years ago when my shop Round Oak finally gave out after 100+ years of service.
Don't be reluctant to shop new air tight efficient models.

Craigs list has a few that pop up if your willing to refinish one and buy some new seals and pipe. Buy a cheap moisture meter and try and burn wood as low a moisture content as possible 12% is ideal for low to no Tar Creosote build up to reduce fire risk.

llhttps://intl.jotul.com/products/wood/wood-stoves/jotul-f-100-eco-ll

I have this stove. It's 5 years old but only used 3. Like new. It was the last of the ones with the Decorative front .
It's 22 1/2 High 14 1/2 wide 21 1/2 long.
I paid $ 1300 for it and will let it go for $ 850.

It was to small for my house and the pain of going and cutting firewood was more then I want to do. It is small it will only take 14 inch wood.

Some years back we installed a Quadra-Fire Discovery Ⅱ wood stove. Zero complaints. Heats the whole house. Paired with a backup generator, makes riding out winter storms a lot easier. That particular model may be overkill for OP's purpose, but maybe worth looking into similar offerings.

Best of wishes with the project. :)

Don't know anything about these but I've seen them down at Wilco:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top