JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know there was a thread on this and can't find it guys. So sorry if this is a repeat. Feel free to tag that thread if you know where it is.

Knowing we are heading into the winter months I broke out my little stove that I like to carry in my truck and it just doesn't function the way it should anymore.o_O

So I am looking for a new one. compact, light weight and easy to carry if needed. Would like to upgrade and not have to worry about propane bottles. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Poke some holes in a can and drop a puck of sterno in. Stuff keeps forever. For a SHTF bag it'll cost you $5-6.

The others are cool for sure but I'd want to use them more then once a decade or more for the price.

The fuel for the little guy lasts forever. Not really sure how long, but have left the fuel in my shop and it has been good after a 2 years. The shop got to -18 in the winter and 115 in the summer.

Poke some holes in a can and drop a puck of sterno in. Stuff keeps forever. For a SHTF bag it'll cost you $5-6.

The others are cool for sure but I'd want to use them more then once a decade or more for the price.

Oh you want one your just a cheap bastage! :D

Actually I thought about the sterno thing. But I think I would use it more often. Like hunting. You know I have to eat like six times a day to keep this girly figure! :s0140:

Oh you want one your just a cheap bastage! :D

Actually I thought about the sterno thing. But I think I would use it more often. Like hunting. You know I have to eat like six times a day to keep this girly figure! :s0140:

There's a lot of stuff I want but can't afford lol - teasing people that can just makes me feel better:p.

Honestly, I'm super happy that I'm only 6 miles from home and on the same side of the river.

This stuff used to bother me a lot more then it does now.

I'd probably be making a fire if I had too but all my meal replacement items are powder to be mixed with liquid so I keep gallon jugs around the house and at work and in the car in case I have to hoof it.

For camping and hunting I go full bore and do the propane thing.

There's a lot of stuff I want but can't afford lol - teasing people that can just makes me feel better:p.

Honestly, I'm super happy that I'm only 6 miles from home and on the same side of the river.

This stuff used to bother me a lot more then it does now.

I'd probably be making a fire if I had too but all my meal replacement items are powder to be mixed with liquid so I keep gallon jugs around the house and at work and in the car in case I have to hoof it.

For camping and hunting I go full bore and do the propane thing.

Yes which is why If I can't make it home I'm coming to your house. :p:D

I like those little Esbit pocket stoves ... The are pretty small and used to be cheap and easy to find.
Not sure about now ... mine followed me home from the Army and that was a more than a few days ago...:D
Andy

So I am looking for a new one. compact, light weight and easy to carry if needed. Would like to upgrade and not have to worry about propane bottles. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I personally think propane is the way to go, especially in winter and SHTF... those small propane cylinders are clean, self contained and last many boil cycles and are readily available most anywhere like Fred Meyers. Propane pocket stoves are among the smallest and lightest to carry too and have instant ignition. You can buy a name brand one like the MSR Pocket Rocket or Jetboil, the GSI Outdoors Halulite Minimalist Complete Stove and Cookset is a better deal since you'll need a simple boiling cup anyways and overall cheaper than the MSR. I hear those cheap sub-$20 ones on amazon actually work reliably too...
you wont be cooking gourmet dinners but for heating water for coffee or tea and freeze dried food you should get about 2 to 3 days out of one small cylinder.

I have one of these and love it. It is my car camping stove of choice. Fuel is never a problem and in a SHTF scenario you have a USB power source for a light or charging devices.

CampStove 2
This makes sense... Can speed boil water for the freeze dried rations and charge the cell phone to keep up with the NWFA goings on in a SHTF situation...

Most important is being able to get the Misses her morning Joe, otherwise she's more like a wildcat... :eek:

I personally think propane is the way to go, especially in winter and SHTF... those small propane cylinders are clean, self contained and last many boil cycles and are readily available most anywhere like Fred Meyers. Propane pocket stoves are among the smallest and lightest to carry too and have instant ignition. You can buy a name brand one like the MSR Pocket Rocket or Jetboil, the GSI Outdoors Halulite Minimalist Complete Stove and Cookset is a better deal since you'll need a simple boiling cup anyways and overall cheaper than the MSR. I hear those cheap sub-$20 ones on amazon actually work reliably too...
you wont be cooking gourmet dinners but for heating water for coffee or tea and freeze dried food you should get about 2 to 3 days out of one small cylinder.

A fellow coworker actually mentioned the MSR. Said it is the best stove for hiking. I will check them out thanks for the info Koda.

For small, light, and equally as important: quick to boil. I second the small butane, ISO-butane stoves. Like the pocket rocket (we have several).

Canisters come in multiple sizes, including small ones which can fit in a small pot along with the stove. Pretty convenient.

Have worked for us in all weather conditions, including bellow freezing and at altitude Xiangjiang & Tibet.

Note that this is for a BOB or GHB, so if you run out of ISO-butane, it's no biggie at all, compared to whatever made you BO or GH!!

Just go the simple way and make a small fire several hours before you would stop to make camp or hold up and sleep for a bit. Have dinner, maybe pack up some left overs for a before bed snack (ziplock/glad lidded bowls are great for this...can make your own insulated coozie for them so freeze dried continues to reconstitute & stay warm).

Don't want your smoke helping to give away your position.

Get yourself some empty tuna cans, rip off carbboard strips a little less than the profile of the tuna can, and coil them up in the can. Pour melted paraffin wax into it until full, let cool... you have a decent (and cheap) waterproof, lightweight, non volitile heat source to heat up your sissy-boy "hot food".

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews