JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have way too many stoves. None in my BOB but Petes advice seems sound to me. Light is nice in an emergency.

I'm out in the woods a lot and use backpacking stoves in all kinds of conditions. Current stove is the MSR Reactor (Butane canister). It's won all kinds of awards, and will boil water faster than any other stove, but I'm Meh about it. Slightly larger is the Jetboil, mine has an ignition button, which the MSR lacks. I ding the MSR big for the lack of the igniton lighter button. It's a big thing and a nice feature to have. You have to unscrew the top of the Reactor to light it, and it's easy to burn yourself, all while wasting fuel.

I have a Whisperlight too, nice stove. But my precious is a SVEA stove I bought brand new for $15 from REI 46 years ago. It is a single unit, takes white gas and I've resorted to burning unleaded gas as well. For a SHTF kind of thing, MSR makes a multifuel, but this is close behind it in my mind. I've fired that up after it's sat there for years and it still burns. Maybe 3 times in it's life, the nozzel gets clogged, they make a little pin wire device you hit the nozzel and are good to go for years. Grabbed a pic off the internet and see they are over $100 now. Ouch. They are the Coleman stove of backpacking stoves if that tells you anything. Very reliable. I've used mine a bunch, never replaced a thing. The cons are that the small base makes it unstable, and to fire it up you have to pressure the fuel container part of the stove either by warming it up, or pumping, but you have to take off the upper housing (which is easy)

View attachment 393158
The SVEA is an awesome stove.
I have a Phoebus 625 which is a Hall-of-Famer as well.
vintage-phoebus-625-camping-stove_1_12fcd8b0deb057fba36906608359f547.jpg

Last Edited:
Did anyone mention the wood turbo stoves? Bimart has them on sale $30. I have one but it's still in the box. I have a propane stove already. This is a backup to the backup.

I have a few of these
IMG_4700.JPG
And one of these IMG_4701.JPG
I am also going to get come different size metal pipe and a 20mm ammo can to make more of a "stove" with a chimney so you can cook without smoke in your face.

I know there was a thread on this and can't find it guys. So sorry if this is a repeat. Feel free to tag that thread if you know where it is.

Knowing we are heading into the winter months I broke out my little stove that I like to carry in my truck and it just doesn't function the way it should anymore.o_O

So I am looking for a new one. compact, light weight and easy to carry if needed. Would like to upgrade and not have to worry about propane bottles. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hard to beat the tried and true Sterno folder...and you don't necessarily have to use canned heat to make it work, either...

Dean

fryediver,

Nice choice, but why that one over the Sterno folder?
I mean they seem like pretty much the same thing but the Firebox is 4 times more costly.
Just wondering what made you get the Firebox.

Dean

fryediver,

Nice choice, but why that one over the Sterno folder?
I mean they seem like pretty much the same thing but the Firebox is 4 times more costly.
Just wondering what made you get the Firebox.

Dean
It's designed to be used with twigs and sticks (or other fuels) where the Sterno stove (at least the one I've seen) is designed to be used with the Sterno cans and isn't vented effectively for a wood fire.

It can hold a Sterno can and a pot but doesn't need Sterno or other fueled stove to function. Holds the Trangia very nicely so that does give me a fueled stove that burns readily available alcohol or HEET (yellow NOT red). Using twigs and small sticks gives me unlimited fuel. No pressurized containers, no specialized fuels required.

I'd guess that someone with a Dremel and some patience could alter a Sterno folding stove to have similar vents and feed ports for twigs. Just never considered it.

Also, to clarify, I'm carrying the Nano sized stove.
FireboxStove

Has anyone ever acrually tried cooking with twigs and sticks?
No. No one that has ever lived or is living has actually cooked with twigs and sticks. Those that have tried invariably have broken their hip tripping upon twigs and sticks while shaking their fist skyward and screaming, "WHY?". while fingering their precious petrol burner.. that they don't actually happen to have on them, ever. anyway

Hmmmm ...... fellas? I never was a Boy Scout or anything so maybe I'm missing something. But, for me personally ....... I use twigs and sticks like kindling, gradually using larger pieces of wood for a larger fire. Never had a problem cooking stuff that way.

Someone might being doing "fire" wrong. Nah, probably just me ..... never mind.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top