JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mornin', Catherine1 of Montana, aks, and ye shall be gived.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1980, while Mrs tac and I were living in Germany on behalf of the Queen, a young man who had been jonesing after a Model 29 smith & Wesson for months, after getting his firearms certificate allowing him to actually go and buy one, finally found the revolver of his dreams. He bought it from a local dealer, one Terry G******, who was renowned for having very little, if anything, by way of chit-chat and conversation, especially with customers, whom he viewed as pests who upset his neatly-arranged displays of shooting accessories. Having arrove at the gun store, agleam with anticipation [remember that this was 1980 UK, and the buying of a new revolver, especially a .44 Magnum, was a mite special]. The conversation went thusly - and I'm told this by a person whom I later came to know as a good friend and shooting pla, now sadly gathered to his fathers.

Terry Grimley [TG] and Customer X [CX] -

Cx - 'Ayoop, Mr Grimley, how dost tha' be t'day - orreet?' [translation - Good Mr Grimley, and how are you today? Thriving, I trust?' - Perhaps I ought to have mentioned that CX came from Lancashire, where many of the locals actually talk like this]. Ah've c'mova t'ollect yon revolver that y'telt us about, tha'knows. [Tr - Here I am to pick up that revolver that you told me about, OK?]

TG - 'Awreet. 'eer'tis.' [he then produces the 4" barrel Model 29 that I showed you earlier, only at that time, of course, it was gleamingly new and temptingly luscious, like all new guns can be.] 'Hast tha' got thy ticket wi'ya?' [Tr. - 'Yes, do you have your Firearms Certificate with you?']

CX - 'Ay, that I do! Be 'yardly likely t'coom wi'out en, likely as 'ow Ah'd be going wowm emtpy'anded, like, eh?' [Tr. Indeed I do! I would hardly arrive without it, since if that were to be the case, I would be returning home empty-handed, would I not?]

TG - 'Thass true, tha' knows. Lemme write 'un in t't ticket. Ah spose tha'll be wantin' some bullets, too, eh?' [Tr. Truer words have never been uttered. Let me now enter the details into your FAC and out of my register. I dare say that you will be looking to purchase some suitable ammunition as well, will you not?]

CX 'Oh, ay. I'll 'ave a nundred of whatever tha's got to suit, tha'knows... [Tr - Indeed, yes. I'd like a hundred of whatever you have in stock that you deem suitable, if that's OK with you...']

TG [cackling bewhilst] - Ah've got just the stuff for ya - that'll suit yon short-barrelled gun good n'proper, that, Howforth, there's but a single box of twenty in stock, tha' knows, and it's fierce bloody dear, bein' as 'ow most folks reload. [Tr - I have the very thing, but sadly there is but a single box in stock. And by-the-by, you are no doubt aware that is is VERY expensive, especially in view of the fact that most who shoot this calibre are reloaders...'

CX - 'Thass aw'reet, Mr Grimley, no doubt tha'll get moor in eventual-like, reet?' Any road oop. here's the dosh, an l'll be mekkin' tracks t't range and do some shootin'! Ah'm that made oop' w'it, tha'knows. Dost tha'realise Ah've bin waiting nigh on six mumfs f'today to 'appen, like? [Tr - That's fine, Mr Grimley, I have no doubt that you will eventually be restocking. Anyhow, here is the payment, and I'll be making my way to the range to do some shooting. You know how much I've been for this very day?]

TG - 'Ay, tek keer.' [Tr. I do indeed, now off you go and take good care of yourself, won't you?]

Some time later that morning he appeared at the range clutching his simple pistol case, containing a a battered but much-loved Ruger Mk I, and a large blue cardboard box holding his new revolver. First unlimbering the .22, he proceeded to shoot a couple of cards in a desultory fashion - plainly his mind was on his new revolver nestling in its wrapping. Looking around, to ensure that he had an audience of enraptured fans - he produced, to a series of gasps from the other shooters - his drop-dead gorgeous new S&W. Nonchalantly tearing the end off the box of ammunition, he casually dropped the cartridges into the freshly cleaned chambers with that noticeable 'chook, chook' that we all know and love.

Then, after adjusting his careful one-handed grip, he took aim at the 25 yard distant target, cocked the hammer, and let rip.

After the initial K-boom, that left shockwaves resounding in the wriggly-tin [Tr. corrugated iron] firing point, others noted that there had been a very strong 'PLAAAAANG' sound that followed almost immediately on the first shot. The shooter stood there, jaw hanging open like a newly-hanged man, looking back and forth at the target and the still-smoking revolver. He carefully unloaded the remaining four cartridges, putting them back in the box, looked around and muttered something about having to go and see to his pigeons, got the gun cleared off the range, and left.

He left behind him a bemused audience, a target with a single hole in it - about four inches left of the black - and a roof with a torn hole in it where the second shot, triggered instinctively as the gun reached the vertical, had cleared three layers of corrugated iron that made up the roof of the range building.

It seems that he never shot it again.

Fast forward to 1992, and I am over in the Perry Gun room, home-based dealership of my old pal, the much-missed Norman Cheesewright. I am looking at a very fine, utterly mint example of a short-barreled S&W Model 29, still with all the wrapping paper and cleaning brush, and buying it.

'I've got some ammunition for it here, if you're interested, even though I know you reload. There's eighteen left and two empties, and I'm unlikely to ever sell it - nobody I know would be daft enough to shoot this stuff in a short-barrel gun like that.'

I'll have it anyway, sez I, just for a laff - I can give a round or two to somebody who's shot EVERYTHING and knows EVERYTHING - you know the kind of person - we all have them in our gun clubs.

Right, said Norman with a chuckle - He'd have to be desperate to shoot these 300gr solids 'TO BE USED ONLY IN THOMPSON CONTENDER SINGLE-SHOT PISTOL' in anything else.

Oh my goodness! Holy moly!

(I have a big grin on my face now.)

That is a great story and thank you for sharing it with us!

Cate

charger take down

charger.jpg

My compromise gun is an AK in 5.56. Does that satisfy the crown? :rolleyes:

How much did the MP5 clone cost?
Less than $2K even with brace and extra mags. Its an Omega OM-9 from Atlantic Firearms. I picked up the P30L because "John Wick" even though the second and third movies are basically infomercials for Taran Tactical.

I stopped worrying about satisfying the crown in 1776... :)

The Omega clones are great, I've got the MP5K and MP5SD and couldn't be happier!
Whichever one has the registered sear in it gets the stock ... I keep thinking I'll SBR them so I don't have to worry about the stock but since I have to take it apart to put in the sear I decided it's not worth the extra $400 because if I'm shooting it I want to be fully happy about it!

IMG-1986.jpg

...good question! I'm really not sure.
Mec Gar mags are pretty common, you might want to start there and see how well it works.
...on the other hand, do you really need two kidney's? :p:D

Dean

Last Edited:
My current outfit.
-1988 (ish) 500 with a newly installed SGA stock, rifle sights, and the currently not installed 6 shell side saddle (waiting for hardware). Picked it up 2 weeks ago. It'll get refinished later this month to freshen it up.
-Sig P229 Enhanced Elite (9mm). All factory
-Aero M5E1 (.308) with a Leupold VX3i
-Not pictured Aero x15 lower 20190309_101224.jpg

Orphans that were leaning against the car a week ago...

5D4EBB5A-F1E9-4AA9-9890-0DB804E5DA7D.jpeg

.300 BO on left
.22LR on right

Damn hooligans

Got my VZ.52 back together today. This completed my winter CZ restoration project. There was also a cz70 in the mix, but it was in such bad shape i turned it into a parts gun. All in all, great fun project. Duracoat in a can is actually not a bad option. I'm pleased with the results, dispite a few bits of human error on my part.

20190313_133028.jpg 20190313_133051.jpg 20190313_133129.jpg 20190313_133408.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads