JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IMG_5627.jpg

why did they have to make it clear in the article that the officer was "black". people have to stop segregating themselves by the color of their skin.
its bad enough he was a cop. :p.
Because we care about the basically obvious characteristics. It helps us understand and deal with the world. Sex of criminals is always reported for example. So we know we are much less likely to be robbed or murdered by a woman. And very unlikely to be sexually assaulted by a woman. White cops killing innocent blacks does happen. But are white cops more likely to kill innocent blacks than innocent whites? Are black cops more likely to kill innocent blacks than innocent whites? It would be better to have good info on that so we can better understand the problem and figure out what to do about. I would be interested in having more, not less info about both victims and shooters in unjustified shootings. I suspect tall men in their prime are more often killed in unjustified self defense shootings for example, whether by cops or civilians. I am guessing that it has to do with level of fear. And most people are more afraid of tall/big males in their prime than small men. Many tall men avoid walking behind and catching up with a woman on the sidewalk at night in isolated areas. Or will avoid taking an elevator with one woman in it in an isolated building at night. The woman's fear is so palpable. For various reasons I suspect average sized men are actually more dangerous than the big guys. But I don't actually know. I've never seen data on it.

Because we care about the basically obvious characteristics. It helps us understand and deal with the world. Sex of criminals is always reported for example. So we know we are much less likely to be robbed or murdered by a woman. And very unlikely to be sexually assaulted by a woman. White cops killing innocent blacks does happen. But are white cops more likely to kill innocent blacks than innocent whites? Are black cops more likely to kill innocent blacks than innocent whites? It would be better to have good info on that so we can better understand the problem and figure out what to do about. I would be interested in having more, not less info about both victims and shooters in unjustified shootings. I suspect tall men in their prime are more often killed in unjustified self defense shootings for example, whether by cops or civilians. I am guessing that it has to do with level of fear. And most people are more afraid of tall/big males in their prime than small men. Many tall men avoid walking behind and catching up with a woman on the sidewalk at night in isolated areas. Or will avoid taking an elevator with one woman in it in an isolated building at night. The woman's fear is so palpable. For various reasons I suspect average sized men are actually more dangerous than the big guys. But I don't actually know. I've never seen data on it.
Maybe you should read my post again this time with rose colored glasses on.
Why so serious Batman?!
Do you know how I got these scars?
* lve been sexually assaulted by a woman it's no laughing a matter

My EAA Witness Steel Compact is made to be carried with the hammer cocked - safety on or off, no decocker. I have to remember which gun I am carrying, but as soon as I start to unholster it, It is obvious. It did take a while to differentiate it from my other EEA's. You can let the hammer down, carefully, and carry it that way, or even use a holster with a strap like 1911's. I carry it with a bullet in the chamber, hammer back and safety on.

My other EAA pistols are all decockers. Each has its pluses and minuses, especially when you are used to decockers.

I love this entire post, pretty much nails the entire conversation on all points. I love that you and your club are doing something for new shooters and making it free for them. I want to see people get paid for their time but this puts the bigger picture above everything, so many new gun owners need instruction that wont pay regardless of their financial situation or ignorant stubborness your getting them in the door and providing an experience they will learn and take home with them, thats saving lives.
Thank you for the kind words. Our Educational Foundation is made up of volunteers so even the classes we charge for have 100% of the money going back to programs for our club members but also the community as a whole. We run everything including junior programs, basic shooting classes as mentioned and topic specific workshops like defensive shotgun, low light defensive handgun and others. We feel we have a responsibility to be part of the solution, especially for new shooters. Our basic classes are free, fill each month and get many new shooters in the door. It's been a pleasure leading the classes.

My EAA Witness Steel Compact is made to be carried with the hammer cocked - safety on or off, no decocker. I have to remember which gun I am carrying, but as soon as I start to unholster it, It is obvious. It did take a while to differentiate it from my other EEA's. You can let the hammer down, carefully, and carry it that way, or even use a holster with a strap like 1911's. I carry it with a bullet in the chamber, hammer back and safety on.

My other EAA pistols are all decockers. Each has its pluses and minuses, especially when you are used to decockers.
The Witness/Tanfoglio guns are CZ75 clones. These pistols, like the original Beretta 92, were designed for hammer down carry and DA first shot. They can also be carried cocked and locked. Three "modern" pistols came out in 1975 - the Sig 220, the Beretta 92 and the CZ75. They all started with frame controls, so it is mystifying why two of the three went with manual safeties rather than a decocker. It was either that the option of cocked and locked were considered attractive to perspective military and police (SWAT use, etc), or that no one thought that frame decockers were a good design and didn't like the Walther style.

Tanfoglio later added Walther type decockers. Beretta went to them in the first revision - the 92S. CZ held off for decades, then came up with a frame mounted decock-only lever.

But overall, these appear to be guns that were designed to be manually decocked and the safety used either after firing or when going into a situation requiring more precision.

The most "modern" automatic I own is a 1980s Taurus 92AF. Based on first pattern Beretta 92, it has a safety and no decocker. Taurus would add a frame decocker function in the mid '90s. If I carried it, it would be hammer down. But if I had to shoot it I would not try to manually decock it afterwards, and would use the safety. If I liked condition 1, I would definitely carry it that way because the safety lever is nicely designed. Same with the Witness and CZ. The USP is comparably poorly located, IMO.

It was either that the option of cocked and locked were considered attractive to perspective military and police (SWAT use, etc), or that no one thought that frame decockers were a good design and didn't like the Walther style.
back in the mid 80s didnt the military want to get away from single actions? If I recall DA were the new rage in the mid 80s as safer.

back in the mid 80s didnt the military want to get away from single actions? If I recall DA were the new rage in the mid 80s as safer.
The US military started looking for a DA 9mm in the '50s based on WWII experience with the P38 - the S&W 39. They revived the program in the '70s and adopted the M9 in 1985. Other countries went to DA 9mms either slightly before or just after the US.

Well now that we are talking cocks I'm back and very interested.

I prefer mine green.

IMG_2690.jpeg IMG_2691.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR