JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Apples to oranges: Mass shootings vs terror plots (bombings). Not one of those listed have mentioned an individual who was planning on shooting up some place, almost all were people trying to blow something up.

Maybe I should have clarified "mass shooting", but with us being on a gun forum and talking about a mass shooting, I thought it was pretty obvious.......... Oh well.

So, can you name one instance, where someone knew for a fact the person was going to commit a "mass shooting" and we (as a society) could have stopped it before it happened?

Ray
Teens planned 'mass shooting' at Central Florida middle school, deputies say

google is your friend. Use it.

Well the headline is true. There's nothing non-factual about that headline. These massive mass shooting attacks are unpreventable, in the only nation in the world where this is an extremely regular occurrence.

Today 3 were killed and 2 wounded in a mass shooting in Kansas. Barely makes a footnote though. It's the tiny mass-shootings that kill the most even if they barely garner any attention.

YES, THEY ARE UNPREVENTABLE! I get so tired of these arguments going back over the same territory over and over and over and over and over. But we MUST DO SOMETHING... I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS BUT WE MUST DO IT RIGHT AWAY!!! You're not fooling anybody pal, nothing but a total gun ban will satisfy the gun grabbers... only problem is... criminals and gangs will still have guns, and so will a government that is already stealing land and shooting folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look, we have a good reason for the right to keep and bear arms in this country. Swiss all are armed and yet they have almost no violence. Regardless it is comparable to our justice system, in which we hold such a high concern that the innocent don't get wrongly convicted, that we let some people go that are obviously guilty... no other country in the world does that. Same same as 2A rights. I refuse to give up my rights to keep a tyrannical government at bay just because other countries keep their people defenseless. It is only a matter of time until history repeats. I am willing to have a few tragedies to keep that at bay.

BTW, gang members have mass shootings all the time. It sure does warp the stats. Wish we could have a lot more.

Basically what you're telling me is there's not much we can do, except maybe universal mental healthcare. The hardware will be available regardless of your intentions.

I'm trying to think of ideas that could stop these shootings from happening, at least I'm entertaining ideas in my head on what could be done.

I dunno, seems to me a Class 3 firearm would be ideal for a mass shooter. Those have been banned since 1986 and virtually never get used in a crime, whatever law Reagan signed off on in 86, clearly worked at keeping those weapons out of evil individuals hands. Seems to me that was an effective law for keeping those weapons out of criminals hands.

But why try to get a $20,000 pre-ban when you can spend $99 on a bump-fire stock? It seems the Pro-Gun crowd is about as clueless on how to stop these as anyone else.

Dude....

123 Million people were murdered through war, collateral damage, genocide and mass murder or intentional famine alone in just the 20th century. That does not include regular plain old murders. Do you know how many people it takes to kill 123 million other people? Millions of killers. Millions.

We are living in the safest time in all history. Humans are viscous, self serving, psychopathic killing machines with a brain focused survival and reproduction. This stuff is not just starting to happen. It is woven into our DNA

Sure it is scary and frightening seeing these things happen. It gives you feelings of not having control. Why do you think people get PTSD from assaults and rapes and war but not car accidents, cancer or appendicitis? Why does no one care 1300 people die a day from cigarettes in this country but here we are going on about a plastic buttstock that moves a little bit.

You dont fix this issue by banning slid fire stocks. Sure, if all the guns in the US were suddenly gone there would be less of these highly televised, high scoring competitions of who could kill the most people. But there is still going to be war and murder and rape and endless atrocities.

There is no fix to this. You do your best to raise kids right and hope for the best.

I guess this fella was pretty well off, what with multiple planes and retirement facilities owned outright. Since he was a de facto terrorist, hopefully his assets will be liquidated and disbursed to the victims.
I know that in Israel, they'll just bulldoze all of the extended families properties down to the ground and call it good.

I read an article 40yrs ago that predicted that WE would be the next Israel. Welcome to the New World.

Ok, so how do you propose we stop mass shootings since you're so knowledgeable? I want to know what you would have done to stop the shooter the moment he started firing the first bullets into the crowd. I want to know the solution. I got ideas in my head, but apparently they're off limits because they might "offend" people here.
I don't have a solution. I would rather have freedom and the fact that the occasional loon snaps than no freedom and the fact that the occasional loon STILL snaps. Without guns I can think of numerous ways to kill a far larger amount in close proximity. Short of turning the world into a psych ward where shoe laces and plastic forks are contraband you can't do that.

The evil lies between the ears.

I have a sneaking suspicion that had this clown survived, the ACLU would have defended him in court saying he was "just cleaning his guns.. and (perhaps unspoken) after all, in the final analysis, those people down there were actually your and my enemy".

betcha

Actually De-Baathification and the invasion itself lead to the creation of ISIS. That's a very unstable part of the world, we got involved, and now it's more unstable than ever.

If Bush couldn't wrap up the war in 5 years, that's on him, not Obama. We won WWII in only 3.5 years.

The action in Iraq was won in the first two weeks. The politicians then mismanaged the occupation. Taking out Saadam may have not been right for a bunch of people that aren't big on democracy. Apparently they prefer a boot on their necks.

ISIS was NOTHING until Hillary and Obama had their grand plan for Libya. Taking out Uncle Mo left a power vacuum that became extended into parts of Syria.

I dunno, seems to me a Class 3 firearm would be ideal for a mass shooter. Those have been banned since 1986

Newly registered machine-guns, by private individuals and entities, ended May 1986. Those on the registry were not banned though.

and virtually never get used in a crime, whatever law Reagan signed off on in 86, clearly worked at keeping those weapons out of evil individuals hands.

There are only two documented cases of legally registered machine-gun being used in a homicide. One involved a law enforcement officer (Patrolman Roger Waller on 09/15/1988).

Unregistered full-autos have been used in crimes plenty of times since 1934. Examples: the Miami Drug War involved a lot of unregistered machine-guns. Even more recently, the San Bernardino shooters attempted to convert one of their rifles to full-auto.

Seems to me that was an effective law for keeping those weapons out of criminals hands.

That perception would not be accurate. There are documented cases of criminals using full-automatic firearms; either made that way to begin with or illegally converted. Gang members, drug runners, and terrorists don't give a damn about violating the NFA34, GCA68, or FOPA86.

Last Edited:
hey, I want to talk more about abortions and the NFL!

1 - I don't care if you believe abortion is murder, it's hardly political, other than the fact that religion is connected at the hip with politics. I believe religion shouldn't be a part of politics.

2 - the NFL doesn't care if you don't watch it anymore, they'll still be raking in the dough, and can't operate without its athletes, patriotic, disrespectful, or not. They're not professional patriots.

Now that we're back on topic, lets all share our favorite pumpkin pie recipes.

Luckily we live in America and we can all voice our opinions. I prefer sweet potato pie. I can post or PM you a great recipe if you're interested.

Ok, so how do you propose we stop mass shootings since you're so knowledgeable? I want to know what you would have done to stop the shooter the moment he started firing the first bullets into the crowd. I want to know the solution. I got ideas in my head, but apparently they're off limits because they might "offend" people here.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there is no solution. If "they" took all the guns away tomorrow, the amount of mass shootings may go down, but the amount of mass killings will never go away.
The gun is always the focal point in these situations. Not the ingredients used in the bomb, or the van driven into the crowd, or the planes crashed into the buildings... It's always the gun. Why do you think that is? Random events or part of an agenda?

Last Edited:
MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: Official story of Las Vegas shooting unravels; physical impossibility of lone gunman senior citizen makes narrative ludicrous

I dunno about that one. The first argument, paraphrased here, pretty much kills any believability for me whatever else this writer states: 'it takes tremendous strength and physical stamina to run FA weapons for up to 10 minutes'. Please. There are plenty of Youtube vids of skinny backwoods boys in tank tops with ciggies hanging out of their mouths dumping ten drums of ammo through an AK with no apparent physical problems whatsoever.

Keith

Status

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews