JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Umm no?

Maybe you have not read the Second Amendment?

Maybe you have not read the debates of it in the first Congress?

The Second Amendment:

" A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Note that the word is "Arms", that it is capitalized and that it is not "firearms" or "side arms" or "personal arms" - it is "Arms", which encompasses a wider definition than just guns. It means knives, guns (of any type or size), cannon, grenades (yes, they had them then) and basically anything that can be used to fight a war with. And it is war that the Founding Fathers meant to support - a war against their own government:

Before a standing army can rule the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretence, raised in the United States. - Noah Webster

The Founding Fathers did not want a 'standing army' so they provided for a 'militia'. They did not want a standing army because they had been subject to the abuse of the British Army which was used to oppress the people (and also take away their arms).

The first and primary purpose of the Second Amendment is to give the people a balance of power against that of the government should it turn to tyranny and/or should the people need to rebel against unjust laws. To that end, the people must be able to bear the same "Arms" the government has - at this point in time, not just semi-automatic, but fully automatic and any other "Arms" the military has.

@The Heretic et al for chrissake people reply #28 was 100% sarcastic.

Paul Harrell did some testing and came to the conclusion, IIRC, that #3 or #4 buck was in the sweet spot between effectiveness and over-penetration. So, if you live in the country, use #00 buck (or better yet, a rifle ;)). In an apartment, use #4 buck.

Paul Harrell did some testing and came to the conclusion, IIRC, that #3 or #4 buck was in the sweet spot between effectiveness and over-penetration. So, if you live in the country, use #00 buck (or better yet, a rifle ;)). In an apartment, use #4 buck.
This sounds pretty reasonable.

Which means that someone will be by soon to disagree with you rather sharply. :D

Doh!

My 20" 870 doesn't take 3" shells:oops:.

My 26 (or is it 28, I can't remember) does - but I'm not clearing a house with it:p

There are a lot of older shotguns with 2.75" chambers. My own endeavors in handloading the 2.75" 20 bore have lead me down some unusual paths. On of my 2.75" 20 gauge loads is a 27 pellet #4B, (.24"/20 grains), roll crimped load @ 1100 fps. The other is a 33 gauge, (.52" / 205 grain), hard cast three pellet load at 1050 fps also with roll crimp 2.75" 20 bore hull. Both the 1 1/4 ounce and 1 3/8 ounce loads have been pressure tested within SAAMI MAP specs. o_O

Last Edited:
There are a lot of older shotguns with 2.75" chambers. My own endeavors in handloading the 2.75" 20 bore have lead me down some unusual paths. On of my 2.75" 20 gauge loads is a 27 pellet #4B, (.24"/20 grains), roll crimped load @ 1100 fps. The other is a 33 gauge, (.52" / 205 grain), hard cast three pellet load at 1050 fps also with the roll crimped 2.75" 20 bore hull. Both the 1 1/4 ounce and 1 3/8 ounce loads pressure test within SAAMI MAP specs. o_O

I've been looking at some cool stuff that takes the bare minimum of equipment to make shells but I don't really shoot a lot of buck or slugs, mostly target loads from my clay gun. I'm pretty comfortable with the factory stuff and I bought a can of buckshot cheep a couple years back and don't see myself running out anytime soon.

I think I'll probably start reloading shot shells and then move to 30-06 and .308 when I finally commit to reloading.

Shotgun #1= #4 buck 3" magnums.
A5ACF028-A003-435F-81ED-5209085177A2.jpeg

Shotgun #2= Agilua Mini Slugs mixed with 00 buckshot. 14224CD0-29C6-43A9-BF06-227EBDAD19D4.jpeg

I've been looking at some cool stuff that takes the bare minimum of equipment to make shells but I don't really shoot a lot of buck or slugs, mostly target loads from my clay gun. I'm pretty comfortable with the factory stuff and I bought a can of buckshot cheep a couple years back and don't see myself running out anytime soon.

I think I'll probably start reloading shot shells and then move to 30-06 and .308 when I finally commit to reloading.

It's handloading when you start with new primed hulls and put together loads that are not available commercially. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top