JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At hallway distances, none of the pattern enhancing developments in buckshot ammunition, at least since the mid-19th century introduction of the pin-fire breech loader, make any meaningful difference.

Remember, a rifled bore will spread your shot out.. a whole bunch. I wouldn't recommend it.

Actually, that might not be a bad idea in some circumstances. At in the house ranges how much difference would it make with #4 buck and bigger? Everybody thinks a gauge is like a Claymore mine up close which just ain't the case.

My dad's friend of many years accidentally got shot while hunting for pheasants by another hunter in the late 40's. I would assume it would be with #7 or # 8 shot out of a 12 or 16 gauge shotgun. It peppered his left side of his torso. I remember as a kid he had shot that worked it's way to the top under his skin and he would go to the doctor and get them removed when there were enough of them had worked their way to under his skin. I would prefer buckshot for home defense, if all I had was bird shot shells I would aim for a head shot.

If you have ever shot anything with No. 8 at under 25 feet you know the pattern is only golf ball size. Unless your house is monstrous that's about the longest distance you will be needing to shoot. The density will make the tiny shot penetrate and do a ton of damage. Try it yourself. When I was a kid we did all kinds of real world tests and the one thing that still sticks out in my mind is how much damage no. 6 shot at close range had. I never used skeet size pellets.
Buckshot will go through several layers of drywall into the neighbors house because at the short range it will also stay in a very small pattern but the large pellets will penetrate much more. Imo large bird shot unless your house is a good distance from other houses otherwise you risk hurting or killing someone next door.
Slugs will penetrate amazingly. One time there were four of us deer hunting. Three guys had 30-30's and one had a 12 gauge. We shot at the trunk of a fallen tree that was still fresh. The only round to penetrate the trunk was the 12 gauge slug. All 3 30-30's did not penetrate.

If you have ever shot anything with No. 8 at under 25 feet you know the pattern is only golf ball size. Unless your house is monstrous that's about the longest distance you will be needing to shoot. The density will make the tiny shot penetrate and do a ton of damage. Try it yourself. When I was a kid we did all kinds of real world tests and the one thing that still sticks out in my mind is how much damage no. 6 shot at close range had. I never used skeet size pellets.
Buckshot will go through several layers of drywall into the neighbors house because at the short range it will also stay in a very small pattern but the large pellets will penetrate much more. Imo large bird shot unless your house is a good distance from other houses otherwise you risk hurting or killing someone next door.
Slugs will penetrate amazingly. One time there were four of us deer hunting. Three guys had 30-30's and one had a 12 gauge. We shot at the trunk of a fallen tree that was still fresh. The only round to penetrate the trunk was the 12 gauge slug. All 3 30-30's did not penetrate.

That could not have been a garden variety rifled slug!
See these penetration tests:
Old Vs. New - What is the better bear defense?

Hmmm, #6... how about #5? Number six seemed to be okay for chukar, but I switched to #5 for pheasant. And they weren't wearing heavy coats. Me thinks a load of #6 at 25' might knock a fella with a heavy coat on his azz?

Ive seen penetration tests with buck, slug, and #8. So, the penetration tests are done with two layers of heavy denim over gelatin. What are the results with #6?

I have #4 buckshot and 00 buckshot interleaved in my shotgun.

I live alone and neighbors are 150+ yards away with full grown conifers in between the houses, so not worried about penetration of walls. I am more concerned about effectiveness on a bear or cougar.

YMMV

I have #4 buckshot and 00 buckshot interleaved in my shotgun.

I live alone and neighbors are 150+ yards away with full grown conifers in between the houses, so not worried about penetration of walls. I am more concerned about effectiveness on a bear or cougar.

YMMV

Go with rifled slugs if you are worried about bears or cougars. I have few boxes of Brenneke 12 gauge K.O. slugs and also keep a few boxes of Black Magic slugs for bears. I have neighbors close so I don't use slugs at home. But if I go camping or something I put a couple of slugs in my butt stock side saddle of my shotgun.

Yes because the founding fathers never meant for us to have automatic weapons. They had the kind of guns where you could shoot, and then, like, 20 minutes later, you had to put the stuff in and you could shoot again.
What the founding fathers intended was for us to be able to defend our selves, by any means necessary, so did not specify details of what can or cannot be used towards that end.
And to be able to do that at any time, any where, from any threat, specifically pointing to our, or any, governments human potential for abuse and tyranny, knowing full well what all men are capable of..

The ability and right of self and family defense always seems to be conveniently lost in any dialog limiting defense tools..

At the end of the day, everyone is going to pick what they think is best.

Whether it is from research or live testing, no one is changing anyone else's mind. I know I'm not running out to re set up my shotgun based on anything posted so far:p:rolleyes:.

Pick what ya like and hope your a good shot in a tense situation.;)

I'm luckier then most in the burbs, the backstop I have is a floor to ceiling wall of books packed tight so my neighbor has a little extra protection (and a brick wall facing me).

At the end of the day, everyone is going to pick what they think is best.

Whether it is from research or live testing, no one is changing anyone else's mind. I know I'm not running out to re set up my shotgun based on anything posted so far:p:rolleyes:.

Pick what ya like and hope your a good shot in a tense situation.;)

How about pick what you like and hope you never have to use it.

P

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top