JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been wondering. Does the shot count in shotguns matter that much when it comes to a home defence situation? Currently all my shells are 8 shot but is there any reason I may wanna go to say 4 shot? Can't imagine penetration is that much different between them (not as in its safe just the same risk).

I say experiment.

Get some roasts / hams that kind of thing
and get some ribs
Wrap together and at your home distances ( where you think this might be relevant ) blast 'em.

See what the outcome is.

Video - add to U-Tuby and share with us.

Science!

Here is Jeff Quinn doing this, although I think he was using smaller shot.
Start at 6:30 for the action. 8:15 shots on target

While no one wants to get shot with anything..
Also taking in the arguments / theory 'bout the bird shot holding together at close ( home defense ) range...Which I do understand and can see some merit in...

I feel more comfortable with using buckshot in my shotgun rather than any bird shot.
Not that I would just curl up and wait to die if all I had was bird shot...
And I know that if you look hard enough you will find credible stories of folks using bird shot to stop a threat...

But bird shot is for birds...smaller animals with thin skin and hollow bones....Granted turkey loads and goose loads are stouter than say grouse or rabbit loads...but...
Buck shot is made for deer...bigger animals roughly man sized and man weight with thicker skin and tougher bones...
So for me ...given what the loads were designed to kill....I'd rather use buck shot.
Or if forced to having to use bird shot , I'd use the heaviest bird shot load I had...
Andy

Someone makes a 4 pellet 00 buck?!?
Or are you using #8 for home defense? In that case, yes, go bigger. Absolutely go bigger. #8 will just make someone irate.

Have a semi auto. My first 2 are #7s, then it goes to 00 and slugs alternating. Don't want to send them into my neighbor's unless the first two don't deter them. To get to me they have to come into a hallway "kill box". It'll be expensive for them to get back to me.

For defensive shotguns, I stick with 00-buck, 12-Gauge, 2¾" shells. It has a proven track record of putting down larger game animals and making two-legged varmints take a seat.

This gets kicked around on the net a lot. All my life I have heard many say bird shot is best for the same reasons. I don't use it. My last "house shotgun" is a safe queen now anyway but it's still loaded, with OO. The reason is bird shot is NOT made to work well on an animal of human size. If I have to shoot someone it means my life is in immediate danger. That means I want them to stop immediately. Bird shot can and does kill humans. It just does not do it well. To those who insist on using it I long ago gave up trying to change their mind. The bird shot beats nothing. I just do not trust it for this use. Everyone has to make up their own mind on whether to use it or not.

A lot depends on what type of engagement you might get in. If its strictly HD and you live in a populated area, it wouldn't be necessary to have a load that penetrates at distance. If you live out in the sticks, you may need more reach than shot of any size and opt for slugs.

I talked to a deputy coroner Who said one of the worst "wounds" he ever saw was #4 buck at a distance of 10 feet.

I will share some Experiences here and my observations and recommendations based on extensive mil use of a shotgun. I once saw a tango take three, that's 3 rounds of 00 Buck to the face, and it didn't kill him for some time, and that was at a distance of maybe 10 feet. I have also seen "Bird Shot" at aprox the same distance put a full pattern into a tango, including the shot wad, and that tango dropped dead instantly. Why did one kill and one not, I couldn't say for sure, but it is what it is. I have tested various shot types in a home type structure, and I can tell you, Buck type shot can and often will over penetrate walls and doors, not something you want if you have others living in your home or neighbors close by. I know many folks prefer Buck Shot for HD use, but I strongly caution against it, you don't wanna kill the neighbor or one of your own. Bird Shot from a 18 in barrel with a Light Improved choke will not have much spread in the typical HD environment, as I have seen many times, it hits with almost the full pattern about the size of a Ping-Pong ball, and only opens up to Baseball pattern size at about 40 feet or so, I would also recommend Lead shot, not the faster Steel shot, as I have seen issues with lack of penetration from steel shot. We used to be able to get "F" and "T" shot, and those were about the best ShotGun loads a person could ask for, but thanks to the States restricting Turkey and Goose hunting, the ammo manufactures stopped making it!:(

#1 Buckshot would be smallest I would use for self defence. I suppose if I lived in an apartment I may use #4 buckshot instead but care must be used since the pellets would probably go though walls. I am using #00 buckshot in my shotgun since I live in a home. 6 + 1 and then I have a 6 round side saddle.

My shotgun holds seven 2 3/4" shells in the mag and I keep it with the chamber empty. First two are 00 Buck, then alternating with slugs after that.
I really have it loaded for the woods, but it doesn't seem out of place at home, either. Neighbors not too close and it's just the wife and I 98% of the time. Most likely I'd grab my pistol anyway.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top