JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes no biometric for me. I have a few devices that have option for biometric access and that option is NEVER enabled for that very reason.

Simplex non-electronic lock https://www.amazon.com/ShotLock-SAR001-AR-Classic-Solo-Vault/dp/B00H9DYIXQ/

81XnkkSTvNL._SL1500_.jpg

I like the idea of a hidden storage unit that's readily accessible in the bedroom.

View attachment 468036

View attachment 468035
Better than this awesome idea and the pictures (thank you for sharing!) is the fact @AndyinEverson does not need to say anything for me to consider a musket pistol as a HD option after seeing this. What district attorney would consider charges if you guarded your "castle" with that?

If there was a 2nd demo available, I'd be interested also

I love these Hornady safes for AR, shotgun, and pistols, and it is really nice to know you have easy access with a bracelet or any of the other options they provide RFID tags. Of course you can spend 5 seconds on the next safe to use the same tag. I sell these for a bit less than Amazon, but free shipping is awesome, so consider that and I will have some demo models to list next week, all sliced down to $100 each.

Well that's a bunch of happy horsebubblegum. What does it matter?

It is the difference between something you know and can reveal only via testimony, and something you have or are and it is rooted in the way the 5th was written "... nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself ..."

Remember, the 4th is about warrantless searches and seizures -- it doesn't protect you against searches/seizures if a judge has signed off on a warrant based on probable cause. If however, there is nothing to seize because instead something exists merely as a memory inside your brain, the 5th amendment comes into play and blocks the demand because the only way to get that information out of your brain is via a testimonial process (i.e., you must say or write it).

Not saying I agree with this interpretation -- just that it exists.

Im in the out of sight, out of reach, with a conversation about firearms camp.

A trifecta of things need to take place for firearms to be dangerous, there has to be a present firearm, it has to have ammunition in the chamber and the trigger must be pulled (sig jokes aside)

So if it were me and I wanted to keep my gun handy but also keep the grandkids safe, first step would be a conversation with the grandchild about firearms.

Then I would consider what do I want to keep handy. First I would consider that my daily carry is a G17 with a TLR1 so that works pretty fine as a home defense gun, if it's secured on my person it's not really a danger. If I wanted to have a rifle handy, you could keep the rifle right in the bedroom, but secure the loaded magazine. Then you just insert a mag and rock and roll.

Personally, kids are curious about things that are taboo, if you take the kid shooting at the range with a .22lr till they are tired of being there. The mystic of guns will be gone and you can tell them whenever they want to go to the range you'll take them.

The most dangerous kids with guns are the ones who aren't taught how to act around them.

I like the answer from American 123. Maybe lock magazine in pistol safe, but make sure nothing in chamber of gun(s) if they are accessible.

Could also install a deadbolt lock on a closet door, adults keep the keys in their pants pocket at all times, then if leaving the house, move the guns to a safe.
Could also put the deadbolt on the master bedroom bathroom if the grand daughter doesn't use that - watch out for moisture though!

Im in the out of sight, out of reach, with a conversation about firearms camp.

A trifecta of things need to take place for firearms to be dangerous, there has to be a present firearm, it has to have ammunition in the chamber and the trigger must be pulled (sig jokes aside)

So if it were me and I wanted to keep my gun handy but also keep the grandkids safe, first step would be a conversation with the grandchild about firearms.

Then I would consider what do I want to keep handy. First I would consider that my daily carry is a G17 with a TLR1 so that works pretty fine as a home defense gun, if it's secured on my person it's not really a danger. If I wanted to have a rifle handy, you could keep the rifle right in the bedroom, but secure the loaded magazine. Then you just insert a mag and rock and roll.

Personally, kids are curious about things that are taboo, if you take the kid shooting at the range with a .22lr till they are tired of being there. The mystic of guns will be gone and you can tell them whenever they want to go to the range you'll take them.

The most dangerous kids with guns are the ones who aren't taught how to act around them.
Yes there will be much conversation about gun safety and what to/not do when she comes across one. I also have a 22lr rifle I bought her that she will learn to safely shoot while she is here.
My EDC's role in a home defense situation has always been to get me to the shotgun or AR.
The think I do not like about locking up the mag as that is one more thing to remember in middle of night/sleep. Plus it does not solve the shotgun scenario
Thank you for the ideas though. Gave me something to think about

First, I would not keep a charged chamber. Little people (that young) seldom can figgure out how to chamber a round (in the guns you referenced) even if they find a gun............but why would you live in a place that you feel so insecure? I have guns all over the house just for fun and to shoot the occasional coyote that wanders near my chicken coupe. But they can (and do) all go into the safe if I am leaving the ranch unattended or if someone is around that I am concerned about. I might keep one on a high shelf somewhere that would be unacessable and unnoticed.

Last Edited:
First, I would not keep a charged chamber. Little people (that young) seldom can figgure out how to chamber a roundeven if they find a gun............but why would you live in a place that you feel so insecure? I have guns all over the house just for fun and to shoot the occasional coyote that wanders near my chicken coupe. But they can (and do) all go into the safe if I am leaving the ranch unattended or if someone is around that I am concerned about. I might keep one on a high shelf somewhere that would be unacessable and unnoticed.
We don't live in an unsafe place. At least not till someone decides to make it unsafe! The problem is I don't know when or if that will ever happen, but I don't want to be caught unprepared if it does. When I am home I am armed and when home I have a plan that works for me and my wife. Just trying to figure out how to safely integrate a 5yr old into the plan whilst keeping things as secure and accessible by me when needed.

So my wife and I are having our 5 year old granddaughter come stay with us for the summer and I need some secure quick access ideas for my Shockwave and AR Pistol. Not wanting to keep them in safe as it is not easily accessible.
Any thought and experience is appreciated. (Affordable, accessible by adults and SECURE is the desire)
Thank you in advance!
Here is a link for a hidden shelf safe, very cool Tactical Walls - 1242 Tactical Rifle Length Shelf

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top