JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anything wrong with the top shelf in your bedroom closet?

Granted at 5 she could, given enough unattended time, figure out how to get up there but if you keep the door closed and a bell on the door then I would think that would give you plenty of notice that she has gone into your bedroom.

If you have the means to buy the locks then I think those are great and have one for my hand guns but I also have a pistol within reach of where I sleep out on the table (no little kids at home though).

Or I also like the leaving the safe one number off - buy a smaller rifle length safe for the bedroom and keep the HD guns in that one. It would probably be cheaper then some of the wall mounted locks and will hold more:rolleyes:.

Anything wrong with the top shelf in your bedroom closet?

Granted at 5 she could, given enough unattended time, figure out how to get up there but if you keep the door closed and a bell on the door then I would think that would give you plenty of notice that she has gone into your bedroom.

If you have the means to buy the locks then I think those are great and have one for my hand guns but I also have a pistol within reach of where I sleep out on the table (no little kids at home though).

Or I also like the leaving the safe one number off - buy a smaller rifle length safe for the bedroom and keep the HD guns in that one. It would probably be cheaper then some of the wall mounted locks and will hold more:rolleyes:.
Something to consider. Thank you

So my wife and I are having our 5 year old granddaughter come stay with us for the summer and I need some secure quick access ideas for my Shockwave and AR Pistol. Not wanting to keep them in safe as it is not easily accessible.
Any thought and experience is appreciated. (Affordable, accessible by adults and SECURE is the desire)
Thank you in advance!

Go to a bicycle store and buy two bike seat cables, and 2 padlocks... run the cables thru the action and secure with the lock. keep the keys on your keychain. Doesn't get much cheaper and easier than this. Not certain if this will fit thru the action on the AR though....

https://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-5...pID=31a1uhUFS3L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

31a1uhUFS3L.jpg

Go to a bicycle store and buy two bike seat cables, and 2 padlocks... run the cables thru the action and secure with the lock. keep the keys on your keychain. Doesn't get much cheaper and easier than this. Not certain if this will fit thru the action on the AR though....

https://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-5...pID=31a1uhUFS3L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

View attachment 468436

LOL I actually did this pre-safe days ran two eye hooks 3'" into wall studs and then used said pad lock same issue on the AK so I used padlocks at the loops to secure each firearm. It was more a deterrent then theft but was poor and cost maybe 10.00 with locks in the early 80's

LOL I actually did this pre-safe days ran two eye hooks 3'" into wall studs and then used said pad lock same issue on the AK so I used padlocks at the loops to secure each firearm. It was more a deterrent then theft but was poor and cost maybe 10.00 with locks in the early 80's

Yes... Lots of ways to make it work. If the bike seat cable isnt long enough they sell the same cable in bulk at hardware stores and will crimp the loops on the ends for you.

If the only goal is keeping guns secure from kids there are plenty of options that are super affordable.

When I was single and lived alone and couldnt afford a real safe i would cable lock the gun like this to my bed frame under the bed out of sight. A theif would have to have cutters or take the whole bedframe apart... Not the best of course but it was a deterrent and better than nothing but of course i could have company over and know the kids would never be able to handle a gun let alone shoot it.

View attachment 468436

I've done this too.

OP, do this then take the savings buy a Henry Mini-bolt and teach that little girl how to shoot along with all safety rules, introduce Eddy Eagle. That will keep her safer than any locking gizmo.

I've done this too.

OP, do this then take the savings buy a Henry Mini-bolt and teach that little girl how to shoot along with all safety rules, introduce Eddy Eagle. That will keep her safer than any locking gizmo.
Already bought her a bolt 22 and will be signing her up for and teaching some gun safety!

Can you switch up your HD rigs for the summer? Maybe switch to handguns on those biometric "safes" and then trigger lock the AR pistol and the shotgun. If needed, you can use the pistol to get to the bigger stuff.

That's what I do. M&P 9mm in night stand that has a lock on it for when the grandkids are over. I unlock it at night. AR and 12ga in safe in bedroom closet. I figure the pistol will handle most encounters, but for bigger problems I can at least fight my way to the AR in the closet safe.

Get a box/case/? with a hidden hinge, glue a canvas painting or picture to it, mount a hook or easy release strap inside to hold your gun, screw this piece of "art" over the door jamb in the desired room. (remember people do slam doors so make sure it is secure enough to withstand that

I just went through this with my recently widowed sister who has been viciously stranger-assaulted in the past. There's nothing more secure or quicker than rfid. Google rfid gun lock for dozens of possibilities and pick the one best for your situation. There are types for both handguns and rifles. FYI: Washington state allows non-ccw-permitted gun owners to carry a handgun in a locked box in a vehicle, and one of the popup type handgun boxes works well for both auto and bedside table applications.

PS From personal experience, familiarizing a child with firearms does not make him/her less curious about them, just more eager to shoot one.
Max

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads