JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions

If you run into the ST paywall, clear your browser cache. Otherwise, if you can't get past the paywall see the excerpt below which is afforded legal protection via the Fair Use doctrine.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But what got everyone most riled up was the preamble of the bill.

"The legislature finds that the gun industry has specifically marketed these weapons as 'tactical,' 'hyper masculine,' and 'military style' in [a] manner that overtly appeals to troubled young men intent on becoming the next mass shooter," one sentence of the bill reads.

Objected Rep. Peter Abbarno, R-Centralia: "This can be construed as dangerous rhetoric. … I worry about the message we're sending now, using things like 'uber-masculine' when we talk about guns."

"This bill is saying denigrating things about masculinity," echoed Rep. Cyndy Jacobsen, R-Puyallup. "We don't have too much masculinity in this culture. We have not enough."

In my opinion the authors of this bill did gun owners a favor by putting this nonsense preamble into the bill. The reason why is it will just make it far easier to shoot this down in court. Does the US have a historical tradition of combatting "toxic masculinity" by imposing firearm bans in 1791? If not, the state can't justify this law in court, and down it goes.

In my opinion the authors of this bill did gun owners a favor by putting this nonsense preamble into the bill. The reason why is it will just make it far easier to shoot this down in court. Does the US have a historical tradition of combatting "toxic masculinity" by imposing firearm bans in 1791? If not, the state can't justify this law in court, and down it goes.
That'll take years... especially with 9th District and Oregon Measure 114 litigation (permit and mag ban) :rolleyes: Oregon Legislature is obviously looking to pass an AWB or at least get it on ballot

That'll take years... especially with 9th District and Oregon Measure 114 litigation (permit and mag ban) :rolleyes: Oregon Legislature is obviously looking to pass an AWB or at least get it on ballot
Yes, it may take years, but it may be fewer years than anyone expects. Favorable rulings are expected to be forthcoming very soon (weeks) in California for similar cases. The 9th Circuit tried to delay, but they are going to have to deal with this as soon as the judge in California issues his rulings in our favor. The Supreme Court already vacated prior rulings by the 9th Circuit upholding "AWB" bans, and the 9th Circuit Court can't delay forever. Plaintiffs in CA cases have already led the way and open up a path for victory much sooner than if we were having to fight this on our own in the 9th circuit.

I agree, the preamble of the bill will ultimately be its undoing, but less so for stream of emotional drivel and more for the frequent use of statements that are patently false. For example:
...assault weapons are "like" "M-16 rifles" and thus are "weapons most useful in military service."
An assailant with an assault weapon can hurt and kill twice the number of people than an assailant with a handgun or nonassault rifle.
...the additional features of an assault weapon are not "merely cosmetic"; rather, these are features that allow shooters to fire large numbers of rounds quickly.
And my personal favorite...
The legislature also finds that this regulation is likely to have an impact on the number of mass shootings committed in Washington.

I agree, the preamble of the bill will ultimately be its undoing, but less so for stream of emotional drivel and more for the frequent use of statements that are patently false. For example:

The statements you cited would be relevant if so-called "balancing tests" could be applied by judges. But, these balancing tests are no longer allowed following Bruen. Even IF these statements in the preamble were true, they are still legally irrelevant.

The only thing the antis can legally rely on are historical precedents, and all they are producing are references to bans applied to Indians and slaves. This is described here: https://dailycaller.com/2023/02/28/gun-control-blue-attorneys-bigoted-laws/

What will really be funny is if the plaintiffs hire FEMALE attorneys to appear in court, and get the defendants' lawyers to justify their attacks on "toxic masculinity" by citing laws aimed against Indians and slaves. If Republican politicians have any brains, they will utilize the upcoming spectacle in campaign advertisements against Democrats. That's a big "if".

That "M16" malarkey they stuck in the paper just shows how much the loony left knows about the standard American semi auto rifle called the AR-15. All this is just to pander to the emotion based politics that run this state and the west coast in general. Only the left would inject some kind of gender based SJW type bull**** to add to their anti gun agenda.

That and the fact that they're banning a bunch of exotic and expensive weapons on the claim that they're used in mass killings. Seriously, give me an example of when an FN FS2000 or Steyr AUG was used in a mass shooting. I'll wait.

Last Edited:

...assault weapons are "like" "M-16 rifles" and thus are "weapons most useful in military service."
An assailant with an assault weapon can hurt and kill twice the number of people than an assailant with a handgun or nonassault rifle.
...the additional features of an assault weapon are not "merely cosmetic"; rather, these are features that allow shooters to fire large numbers of rounds quickly.
The legislature also finds that this regulation is likely to have an impact on the number of mass shootings committed in Washington.
Great ignorance abounds in the progressive party.

Just like in public schools, woke people pass on woke fairy tails as if they are facts.

Fe "toxic masculinity" of highland park shooter :rolleyes:

418698C5-B1B6-49E6-9AA4-769079EEC05B.jpeg

Can't pass laws based on made up woke bullsheet. It will be overturned but in the mean time good people will suffer and some may die in the future for lack of being able to defend themselves.

Last Edited:
Toxic masculinity is an attitude or set of social guidelines stereotypically associated with manliness that often have a negative impact on men, women, and society in general.

DragEric-scaled.jpg

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews