JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wish Ruger would bring back the Security Six series....
And make the Blackhawk / Single Six again without the dumbazz transfer safety barf...err...bar.
Andy
Interesting you should mention the Security Six.
I was just watching the latest installment of Esquad 540's YT channel.
He gave brief impressions of the Ruger SP101, in .22LR, with the 4.2" barrel and adjustable sights.
He literally called it "...a Security Six, made for a kid."
Go watch the show, see for yourself...

Interesting you should mention the Security Six.
I was just watching the latest installment of Esquad 540's YT channel.
He gave brief impressions of the Ruger SP101, in .22LR, with the 4.2" barrel and adjustable sights.
He literally called it "...a Security Six, made for a kid."
Go watch the show, see for yourself...

Ehhh...
The GP 100 and SP101 are fine revolvers for sure..
But they ain't close to s Security Six or Speed Six.
Andy

An 8 or 9 shot .327 Federal Magnum medium frame 3 inch barrel...

Manufacturers have really dropped the ball on this cartridge's potential. Either putting it in big long-barrel target style revolvers, or small snubnose carry revolvers, while for some reason avoiding putting it in medium size revolvers with a higher capacity cylinder which is what the round was designed for and excels at... If this round had better support early on and been chambered in the right type of guns it could've made for the near perfect carry revolver for me. Im still holding out hope but I think it might be DOA at this point. Or it could have a 10mm style revival. Only if they start putting it in the right revolvers though.

Last Edited:

Manufacturers have really dropped the ball on this cartridge's potential. Either putting it in long-barrel target style guns, or small snubnose carry guns. If this round had better support early on and being chambered in the right type of guns, it could've made for the near perfect carry revolver for me. Im still holding out hope but I think it might be DOA at this point. Or it could have a 10mm style revival. Only if they start putting it in the right revolvers though.
Only 6 shots, but otherwise, fills the criteria you laid out in your post....

Manufacturers have really dropped the ball on this cartridge's potential. Either putting it in long-barrel target style guns, or small snubnose carry guns. If this round had better support early on and being chambered in the right type of guns, it could've made for the near perfect carry revolver for me. Im still holding out hope but I think it might be DOA at this point. Or it could have a 10mm style revival. Only if they start putting it in the right revolvers though.
So, ideally, you'd like a 3" L-frame in .327 Fed Mag?
The last time I conversed with S&W, the guy told me they basically consider themselves a custom shop of sorts these days, so they might be open to the idea of an L-framed .327.

So, ideally, you'd like a 3" L-frame in .327 Fed Mag?
The last time I conversed with S&W, the guy told me they basically consider themselves a custom shop of sorts these days, so they might be open to the idea of an L-framed .327.
Basically ya, or I would even compromise for a 7 shot K-Frame. The old FBIs custom model 13 except chambered in 327 instead of 357 would be a sweet piece.
That Ruger is the closest thing made today but doesnt quite scratch my itch

I didnt know that about S&W. I imagine a custom gun like that wouldnt be cheap, but nothing is anymore these days.

Manufacturers have really dropped the ball on this cartridge's potential.
Agreed. A similar thing played out with the .32 H&R Magnum, which is a decent cartridge. A book I read not all long ago characterized the situation as "Time has passed the .32 caliber by ..." Could be. A while ago, I've found myself looking for a full-sized .32 wheelgun for punching paper targets, but the options are scant, and generally pricey.

Last Edited:
Don't know if a S&W K Frame would hold up to a steady diet of 327 FM @ SAAMI rating of 43500 psi. They didn't hold up well to the 125 gr 357 loadings.
It would probably do fine. Even though the .357 stops at 35K or so, there is considerably more sheer volume of that 35K than in the shorter, smaller diameter .327. The .327 forcing cone would be thicker as well, thus avoiding the tendency to crack at the thin section. That forcing cone could technically be shortened, while maintaining 11º, thus effectively thickening the cone. Look at the SAAMI v. CIP pressures for the .357.

Maximum pressure (CIP)44,000 psi (300 MPa)
Maximum pressure (SAAMI)35,000 psi (240 MPa)
Maximum CUP45,000 CUP

Agreed. A similar thing played out with the .32 H&R Magnum, which is a decent cartridge. A book I read not all long ago characterized the situation as "Time has passed the .32 caliber by ..." Could be. A while ago, I've found myself looking for a full-sized .32 wheelgun for punching paper targets, but the options are scant, and generally pricey.
Rimmed .30 Carbine.

When the .32 H&R Magnum came out, a fellow gun writer described Skeeter Skelton's reaction as nearly apoplectic, claiming "absolutely no need when the .32-20 has been filling that slot admirably for over a century".

Straight-walled case admirers may tout the use of carbide dies as some sort of "advantage" to the cartridges themselves (.HR and Federal), when it may actually only be an advantage to a lazy handloader. Others may parade the usage of lesser straight-walled .32 cartridges in the same cylinder. Again, a distraction not addressing doubtful attributes of the cartridges themselves.

So, I will do the same: try to find a nice lever gun (to "partner" with your HR or Federal). Marlin produced a very few, Henry does it (or did it). Yet .32-20 rifles are rather plentiful (as long as you are not of the belief that brand new is always better).

A buddy invested in a couple .32 Ruger revolvers (HR and Federal). After hearing my best speech channeling Skeeter Skelton regarding the .32-20 (buttressed with shooting Colt's Lightning rifles, Winchester '92's, a Savage 23 bolt, a Colt's Army Special, SAA and Uberti Bisley), he bought an Army Special, a Marlin and an Uberti SAA.

Another lamb to the fold, a disciple of Skeeter Skelton, and his soul is secure. :cool:

Last Edited:
When the .32 H&R Magnum came out, a fellow gun writer described Skeeter Skelton's reaction as nearly apoplectic, claiming "absolutely no need when the .32-20 has been filling that slot admirably for over a century".

Straight-walled case admirers may tout the use of carbide dies as some sort of "advantage" to the cartridges themselves (.HR and Federal), when it may actually only be an advantage to a lazy handloader. Others may parade the usage of lesser straight-walled .32 cartridges in the same cylinder. Again, a distraction not addressing doubtful attributes of the cartridges themselves.

So, I will do the same: try to find a nice lever gun (to "partner" with your HR or Federal). Marlin produced a very few, Henry does it (or did it). Yet .32-20 rifles are rather plentiful (as long as you are not of the belief that brand new is always better).

A buddy invested in a couple .32 Ruger revolvers (HR and Federal). After hearing my best speech channeling Skeeter Skelton regarding the .32-20 (buttressed with shooting Colt's Lightning rifles, Winchester '92's, aSavage 23 bolt, a Colt's Army Special, SAA and Uberti Bisley), he bought an Army Special, a Marlin and an Uberti SAA.

Another lamb to the fold, a disciple of Skeeter Skelton, and his soul is secure. :cool:
I have zero experience with the .32 H&R. I've got a Colt Official Police in .32-20 and administered the coup de grace on my first buck at 12-years-old with a Winchester rifle in that caliber. The .32-20 will always have a special place in my heart. When dad passed away, one of my sister's boys made off with the rifle. He's constantly nagging me about trading into or buying the pistol. Maybe when I'm older and have to start thinning the herd. By then I will probably just give it to him.

I must be a lazy handloader, because I absolutely love those carbide dies. When I first tried them with .38 Special/.357 Magnum shells, I immediately replaced all of my other pistol cartridge dies with carbide. Man, I thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread. :p

I must be a lazy handloader, because I absolutely love those carbide dies. When I first tried them with .38 Special/.357 Magnum shells, I immediately replaced all of my other pistol cartridge dies with carbide. Man, I thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread.
I love 'em too. Gradually switched my dies over for almost all the straight-walled pistol shells, but I chuckle when a fan of a cartridge comparing it to others has to reach for "attributes" (such as loading practices) unassociated with actual performance. Tacit admission their favorite cartridge has not much going for it.

Thanks for the story of the .32-20 as a "finisher". Those moments in memory replay in 4K. :)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top