JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
S&W 500 with some trigger work

View attachment 1826814
I had that exact gun. Threw a 400gr bullet at the same time as being a flame thrower!

These are likely what I'd use.
The 686 is a nice, solid gun. Easy to shoot and powerful.
The only "problem" with the Model 10 in the center is that I'd prefer a little more cartridge than the 38 Special, but there are far worse.
Then my 60 on the right. I wouldn't call the 60 a fighting gun, but it's my EDC, therefore the one most likely to be put to work.

Smiths.jpg

C656CFCF-5CEB-4948-ACBA-CA54246DBA8F.jpeg
(J/k)

Watched "dogs of war" the other day. Funny Hollywood sound the gun makes and of course ridiculously huge explosions. But to their credit they did hand them to a loader each time they were empty and they showed him loading it.
ACE90F1D-2B13-478A-9A68-9CD6A7762BBB.jpeg

Polish revolver $1500 a couple years ago:

20EC21FE-6E00-4EA0-A683-4EAF08EF24C6.png
F6A9AA6A-8524-4D8D-9969-D1AFC75CE068.png

Last Edited:
My model 28 S&W 4' revolver in 357 mag. It's tough reliable and can eat any 357 mag ammo on a continuous basis. It has enough power without too much and due to the weight minimal recoil. If I had to depend on a revolver it would be that one. In today's world it is a dinosaur like me.

Sort of a parallel thread to this one: what "makes" a fighting revolver for you? Make? Caliber? Sights? Grips? Accessories or whatever else?

Can take either or both tracks:

• Selection for a revolver now. Meaning CHL/CCW, law enforcement, private security, home/business defense and related. And/Or:
  • Historical wheelguns employed by law enforcement, militaries, etc.
Enjoy!
Revolver: .357, 3" or 4" barrel, frame large enuff to dampen recoil. Ruger, S&W or Colt, grip not too large/bulky, preferably Pachs or Hogues available. Decent sights, not NECESSARILY adjustable... red dots or laser availability... What I actually have ;)...
What I would actually WANT::s0010:

***Tho it goes beyond the scope of the O.P., it is and has been a 1911 or 9mm semi-auto BHP or Glock.***

Last Edited:
Here it is. It was made in the late 50's. The original blueing has faded. About ten to fifteen years ago it was worked over by S&W repair facility so she is in perfect working order. Use to carry it elk and deer hunting. I bought the one from Northwest Armory many years via Auction Arms. It is old dependable to me.

1000000531.jpg

Well, to answer my own questions:

• For a contemporary arm, I would be looking for something that:
    • I have a lot of practice on.
    • An accurate piece.
    • Good, high visibility sights.
    • Grips that fit my hand and mitigate recoil.
    • A barrel length no less than 4" and no more than 6½".
    • Rust-resistant finish.
    • Potent cartridge.
    • Good speedloaders available.
  • Solution? Smith & Wesson 629, with 5" barrel, in .44 Magnum. I've got a lot of trigger time on various versions of the 29 (and one near copy), including a blued, 6½" currently in the line up. It has good sights. The rubber grips, while nothing to look at, soak up the recoil and fit the hand well. (Since it is a utilitarian revolver, I've suppressed my normal æsthetically motivated tendencies on the grips.) And the cartridge, particularly with the right loads, delivers plenty of power.
629M (1).jpg

As to historic fighting revolvers, I've always had a soft spot for the Webley Mark VI in .455 and am presently on the lookout again. The Smith & Wesson M1917 in .45 ACP is another fine fight'n wheelgun. And the S&W "Victory" Model 10 in .38 Special and Model 28 Highway Patrolman in .357 Magnum both need a mention. :s0155:

Well, to answer my own questions:

• For a contemporary arm, I would be looking for something that:
    • I have a lot of practice on.
    • An accurate piece.
    • Good, high visibility sights.
    • Grips that fit my hand and mitigate recoil.
    • A barrel length no less than 4" and no more than 6½".
    • Rust-resistant finish.
    • Potent cartridge.
    • Good speedloaders available.
  • Solution? Smith & Wesson 629, with 5" barrel, in .44 Magnum. I've got a lot of trigger time on various versions of the 29 (and one near copy), including a blued, 6½" currently in the line up. It has good sights. The rubber grips, while nothing to look at, soak up the recoil and fit the hand well. (Since it is a utilitarian revolver, I've suppressed my normal æsthetically motivated tendencies on the grips.) And the cartridge, particularly with the right loads, delivers plenty of power.
View attachment 1827985

As to historic fighting revolvers, I've always had a soft spot for the Webley Mark VI in .455 and am presently on the lookout again. The Smith & Wesson M1917 in .45 ACP is another fine fight'n wheelgun. And the S&W "Victory" Model 10 in .38 Special and Model 28 Highway Patrolman in .357 Magnum both need a mention. :s0155:
I had a 1917 S&W in 45acp - it pinched the heck out of my hand in comparison to other revolvers. The frame geometry for lack of a better term seemed crowded. Hope it fits you better when you find yours.

I had a 1917 S&W in 45acp - it pinched the heck out of my hand in comparison to other revolvers. The frame geometry for lack of a better term seemed crowded. Hope it fits you better when you find yours.
Oh, not looking for one at the present. A good Webley, yes. Albeit not a high priority.

Talking about "fighting" with a handgun at 50 yds is fantasy land for probably 99% of shooters when adrenaline/speed/motion kicks in.
Same with most any of the Magnum rounds, muzzle blast and recoil are not conducive to fast accurate shooting even under the best of circumstances.
A true "fighting" revolver wants to have a low-pressure round that won't make you go deaf, nor blind you at night, and have a low enough recoil to give you fast recovery and still throw a big slug.
Forget the N frames, too unwieldly and heavy for easy carry and fast usage.
Get a smaller to medium frame that'll carry 5 rounds of .44 Special, you'll get basically the equivalent of a .45ACP in power,, but with better penetration and you can use a more effective bullet shape.

For me, it's gotta be a 4.5 inch barreled Colt Python, or the 6 inch Anaconda, stupid reliable, robust, and accurate as hell! I wouldn't feel the least bit undergunned with ether!

For old school funzies, the Ruger Old Army, basically nearly .44 mag but with the fireball and smoke screen cover, or a pair of Colt new model Dragoon's!

I concur with JRuby. I grew up on revolvers, and the M28 Highway Patrolman is my favorite. Second is a Ruger GP100 in 44 Special. Only 5 rounds, but it puts slugs right where they're supposed to go.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top