JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sort of. My thought is accept recoil.
When shooting some hard kickers and I found myself starting to flinch, the 22 came out. I would shoot it making sure I didn't do anything besides focus on the sights and pull the trigger smoothly.
Then I would go right back to the big boomers, knowing they would kick, but they wouldn't hurt me.
It's amazing that a couple of mags thru the 22 would settle me down and I could return to hitting the target.
I have an opposite ritual. A pistol grip only 12ga. Full of 3"shells. Unload that thing into the berm once or twice rapid fire. The magnum revolvers seem very pleasant afterwards.

Flinching was a problem for me. Not as bad as this girl's flinch - but pretty bad.

IMG_0726.jpeg

I eventually decided that it was my little explosion, my recoil, and my bullet. Not something happening to me, but something I am making happen. For some reason, this helps.

IMG_0724.jpeg

IMG_0728.jpeg

For me, getting used to a revolver's trigger has meant doing a lot of dry-firing. Balancing a coin on the barrel while pulling the trigger helped me learn to hold the gun still.

IMG_2684.jpeg

One thing an old timer taught me a long time ago was to control my breath If I'm shooting for accuracy (whether SA or DA). Not unlike taking a long-distance rifle shot. I thought he was nuts, until I practiced doing that for a while and finally "got it".
I hear you on this and same results. This may sound a little weird, but one of the many reasons I enjoy shooting big bore revolvers is it is sort of a form of meditation. Holding still, controlled breathing, mental focus, then slug placed on target.

Shooting 10m Air Pistol in the basement during rainy winters.

Edit to Add: 10m AP focuses on single or off hand shooting. It strengthens are/shoulder, isolating index finger from other fingers during trigger press, sight alignment/focus and follow through.

Another beneficial thing I did was shooting a 2" Model 10 with 125gr loads at 750 fps focusing on sight alignment and dbl action trigger press. You want light loads to focus and enforce good fundementals, not rocks and dynamite load to induce flinching.

STOP when you get tired or loose focus. You'll only force shots which will lead to perking.

Handgun skills are highly perishable. Once at a peak level it is better to shoot 15-50 once a week that 2-300 once a month (along with regular dry fire)

Last Edited:
I learned to count to 5, 6, 9, whatever the case may be.
It's surprising the number of old grizzled revolver shooters that have never quite mastered that apparently daunting hurdle.

Reload you bastid!!

Natural Point of Aim for standing off hand. Their is a myriad of fundamentals for pistol shooting. We focus on the big ones but iif you want to compete at a national/international level (way above my declining skills and abilities these days) there is a ton of stuff. Heck, nobody has touched on eyes or target lighting.

If you want to get better, the information is out there. Sharpen your Google Fu, do some reading, hang a target representative of the width of your front sight at distance and commence dry fire.

Stance, foot position and muscle memory develop your natural point of aim. Muscle strength, eye focus and hold or wobble determine how long you can hold comfortably without pushing or pulling a shot. Breathing and physical conditioning lowers your heart rate and nurousishes the eye. Lack of O2 in the blood causes visual sharpness to fade and we haven't even touched off a shot...

Practicing lots of "first shots". When I first moved to were I could shoot every day in my back yard I noticed that my first cylinder full would be less accurate than later in a shooting session. I decided I needed to practice lots of first shots. So three or four times a day, when at home or hiking I would choose a target and shoot just once. (When hiking, wherever I had a good backstop.) After a while my first shots were the top of my game.

Note: A single shot tends to attract a game warden or deputy sheriff if any is around, as he thinks it might represent poaching. Shooting in my back yard I would expect local LE to learn and remember about my theory of getting good at first shots requiring practicing first shots and not worry about it. When hiking I would usually follow up the first shot with the rest of the cylinder, holstering the gun between rounds. Or doing some doubles and triples. That way I didn't waste LE time searching for a nonexistent poacher. Never had LE show up if I shot a whole cylinder full. That's interpreted as a mini-practice session. One or two shots is considered possible poaching. Three shots evenly spaces is considered a distress signal.

Oh brother, really?
Yeah. Way easier than you might think. In offhand just hold the gun in a two-handed grip in front of you and aim at something tiny and not the same color as sights. Breath in, breath out part way and hold breath. The gun will move obviously every time your heart beats. Its a small motion compared with that caused by breathing but is still pretty large. Once you are aware of it you can feel not just the most obvious pulse in your heart but also the pulse elsewhere. Hands, feet, arms. At least I can. I have normal blood pressure so I'm assuming other people can feel it too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews