JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
S&W 500 with some trigger work

View attachment 1826814
Interesting choice. What sort of loads do you employ for this application?

The Big 50 is increasingly one of my favorites, at least for target shooting.

1708799889893.png

A S&W K or L frame round butt, 2.5-4" barrel, 38 cal or better, smooth double action, smooth rounded and polished trigger, chamfered cylinder entrances and sights that you can see. If a stainless fixed sighted model Ala 64 or 65, Novacish rear sight that can be seen in daylight instead of glare simular to the 640 'Pro' sight set up.

I noticed that no one picked a Single Action Army.
Marshall Dillon fought with one every week!

View attachment 1830643
I would have.
However...
I restricted my choices to what I own or have owned recently.

I have owned many different Colt Single Action Army copies...
Some great...a couple that weren't so great.

Much like their cap and ball revolvers....Uberti makes a great copy.
USFA made a outstanding copy of a Colt Single Action Army.
I have owned both...really miss that USFA revolver.

I have never owned , but I have shot many different Colt Single Action Army revolvers....
Most were either 1st or 2nd generation ...all were excellent.

I would not hesitate to use a well timed and tuned Uberti ...
Or a USFA or an actual Colt Single Action Army as a fighting revolver.
( Same goes for a Old Model Blackhawk )
Andy

My top choice is actually two:
a 21-4 Smith (44sp), fixed sights with upgraded Wolff springs, the 429-421 cast load with unique.

Or the 22-4 with upgraded gold dot front, the Elmer Keith 255 cast (don't remember the numbers offhand!) in the 45 auto-rim. Or just use the moon clips in 45 acp. This one has had some trigger work done to it, and wears Grashorn elk grips.

Both are a stout N frame, 4" barrel. The 21 lost the factory wood grips in favor of some rubber finger grooves.

Durable, fixed sight revolvers with good enough double action triggers to hit a target and single action is nothing short of spectacular.

I shoot both enough to be proficient- but not expert by any means.

My top choice is actually two:
a 21-4 Smith (44sp), fixed sights with upgraded Wolff springs, the 429-421 cast load with unique.

Or the 22-4 with upgraded gold dot front, the Elmer Keith 255 cast (don't remember the numbers offhand!) in the 45 auto-rim. Or just use the moon clips in 45 acp. This one has had some trigger work done to it, and wears Grashorn elk grips.

Both are a stout N frame, 4" barrel. The 21 lost the factory wood grips in favor of some rubber finger grooves.

Durable, fixed sight revolvers with good enough double action triggers to hit a target and single action is nothing short of spectacular.

I shoot both enough to be proficient- but not expert by any means.

My 6" .357 Highway Patrolman is also a sweet shoot'ah! It also (currently) has some grooved Pachmayr wrap arounds (no photo of that) but she doesn't come out of the safe very often these days (family heirloom), and those (genuine) S&W medallion wood grip panels are actually worth a few bucks these days.

IMG_1861.jpeg

My 6" .357 Highway Patrolman is also a sweet shoot'ah! It also (currently) has some grooved Pachmayr wrap arounds (no photo of that) but she doesn't come out of the safe very often these days (family heirloom), and those (genuine) S&W medallion wood grip panels are actually worth a few bucks these days.

View attachment 1835636
My target model below...how's the trigger on that patrolman? N frames seem huge for .357 these days don't they? I actually envy your combat sights and trigger and hammer and grips. Would probably fit me better.

1000003682.jpg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR