JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah. Way easier than you might think. In offhand just hold the gun in a two-handed grip in front of you and aim at something tiny and not the same color as sights. Breath in, breath out part way and hold breath. The gun will move obviously every time your heart beats. Its a small motion compared with that caused by breathing but is still pretty large. Once you are aware of it you can feel not just the most obvious pulse in your heart but also the pulse elsewhere. Hands, feet, arms. At least I can. I have normal blood pressure so I'm assuming other people can feel it too.
Sure you can. In over 50 years of handgun shooting I've never ever heard of timing your handgun shots between you heart beats. Bulleye and benchrest rifles yes, hand guns nope. No one standing unsupported on their hind legs is so steady that with there arms out front that the minor movement caused by a heart beat matters in the least.

Sure you can. In over 50 years of handgun shooting I've never ever heard of timing your handgun shots between you heart beats. Bulleye and benchrest rifles yes, hand guns nope. No one standing unsupported on their hind legs is so steady that with there arms out front that the minor movement caused by a heart beat matters in the least.
Why does the admittedly "unstable" position of standing unsupported completely negate the effect of the heartbeat on bullet placement? Certainly the unstable position DWARFS the effect, but if one acknowledges that a measurable effect occurs on the rifle bench, wouldn't that effect ADD (rather than disappear) to variability in bullet placement when shooting offhand with ANY weapon?

It may also be argued that since standing requires more energy to maintain (faster breathing and heartbeat), that the effect of heartbeat in that position is much greater (has MORE effect) than when resting on a bench.

Having shot a lot of scoped handguns (where movement of the pistol is starkly illustrated to the shooter), I can speak firmly for the effect of heartbeat in preparation for the shot (offhand, sitting, etc.). It doesn't go away when there is no scope, and it is ANOTHER factor to consider (not dispensed with) toward accuracy.

It does not surprise me that you'd want to argue with me, it's what we do. So I'd like to point out that no where in your dissertation do you mention that you actually time your pistol shots to between your heart beats and that is/was the statement in question.

Having shot a lot of scoped handguns (where movement of the pistol is starkly illustrated to the shooter), I can speak firmly for the effect of heartbeat in preparation for the shot (offhand, sitting, etc.). It doesn't go away when there is no scope, and it is ANOTHER factor to consider (not dispensed with) toward accuracy.
I've owned one scoped handgun. Good thing it was only a 2x or I probably never would have been able to "settle" the reticle enough for a shot!
(speaking entirely about off hand shooting)

It does not surprise me that you'd want to argue with me, it's what we do. So I'd like to point out that no where in your dissertation do you mention that you actually time your pistol shots to between your heart beats and that is/was the statement in question.
"I can speak firmly for the effect of heartbeat in preparation for the shot (offhand, sitting, etc.)."

There it is.

Perhaps I did not elaborate in absolute terms as to my "preparation for the shot" while holding the firm belief of the effect of heartbeat. Most readers would make the connection that I am directly dealing with any effect I have recognized firmly in the same sentence. I pay CLOSE attention to my heartbeat in relation to the let-off. I hope this clarifies it for those unable to make that connection from my initial statement.

I believe I did not argue. I only asked questions still awaiting answers. Those questions may be better expressed as well if necessary.

There is no confrontation here, only an attempt to learn.

Flinching was a problem for me. Not as bad as this girl's flinch - but pretty bad.

View attachment 1823590

I eventually decided that it was my little explosion, my recoil, and my bullet. Not something happening to me, but something I am making happen. For some reason, this helps.

View attachment 1823584

View attachment 1823583

For me, getting used to a revolver's trigger has meant doing a lot of dry-firing. Balancing a coin on the barrel while pulling the trigger helped me learn to hold the gun still.

View attachment 1823582
I like the coin. I might add that to a friend I am teaching. I've been working on his flinch with the random empty chamber drill.

For me, either DA or SA, I have been working on not anticipating the trigger break and blinking. If I blink it's a bad shot every time. Looking through the shot so to speak. Sights on target, press trigger, watch the hit.

I also use a small 8" plate at 30 yards or better for serious practice. Focus. I really enjoy it, so it makes it easy.

Speaking of single action only, when there is plenty of time. Offhand or sitting with gun and arms unsupported. Actually, I have a trick I figured out that I've never heard anyone else say anything about. For the most accurate SA shooting where there is plenty of time, I don't just try to hold the gun on the target. That is way too unsteady. Instead I set up a situation in which the point of aim of the gun is moving vertically toward and slightly through the target in a tiny arc like a pendulum. This stabilizes the gun in the lateral direction. Then the trigger is pressed with increasing pressure between heartbeats so the gun actually fires while it is still in motion. So timing determines accuracy in the vertical direction. Not trying to hold the gun still on the target.

Details. When I point the gun I initially breath out as I lift gun and point it a bit below the target. Then I breath in, which starts the gun on an upward trajectory. I hold breath and gun and point of aim continues moving upward. As point of aim approaches but is still a bit below target I start putting pressure on the trigger and increase the pressure as long as I'm right after a heartbeat. When all works optimally the gun fires between heartbeats and while the guns point of aim is moving toward the target and is just slightly below the target. The upward momentum of the moving gun and the gun firing when aimed a little low puts bullet right on target. So the gun is fired when it is moving upward and that motion stabilizes the gun in the lateral direction.

If I have initially pointed the gun a bit too low, I run out of space between heartbeats and just maintain current pressure on trigger but put no additional pressure on trigger until point of aim passes through the target. Then I breath out, which brings gun moving back through and be low target. Then breath in and hold breath, making poa move upward toward target. And then once again start increasing pressure on trigger at the right distance below target and at the right time between heartbeats. I don't know exactly when the gun is going to fire. And the distance the poa is below target and rate gun is moving is a bit variable too. But it still results in much more accuracy for me than trying to hold the gun steady on the target.

I worked out the method using a scoped gun where the effect of heartbeat on gun once the lateral stability is achieved is really obvious. But I use the method with every handgun when shooting SA and there is time.

Last Edited:
Three days drawing, holstering, shooting, and reloading revolvers under the guidance of Clint Smith/Thunder Ranch helped my confidence with revolver shooting immensely.

If you have the time and the means I highly recommend his classes!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews