JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sort of a parallel thread to this one: what "makes" a fighting revolver for you? Make? Caliber? Sights? Grips? Accessories or whatever else?

Can take either or both tracks:

• Selection for a revolver now. Meaning CHL/CCW, law enforcement, private security, home/business defense and related. And/Or:
  • Historical wheelguns employed by law enforcement, militaries, etc.
Enjoy!

Colt's Model 1851 Navy and 1860 Army revolvers....
Accurate , once one finds the load they like ( Just as with any firearm ).
Both are still able to do the job they were designed to do back then...today.
Uberti makes a fine copy of either model.

For modern revolvers...
I like the Smith and Wesson Models 19 and 28.
I would prefer the older pre- dumb azz lock models....as well as being pinned and recessed.
For "social work"...having them fitted with Pachmayr "Presentation" grips is helpful.
Andy

S&W 1917 would be a fine choice by me. Has the stopping power needed, low recoil/muzzle rise with the weight and barrel length.
Find them quick and easy to reload with the moons or half moons. Also found some 2 rnd holders that work well.
After that I wouldn't turn down a good old S&W pre model 10 or victory model. They just point well and fit for me.
Both the above maybe old tech but have a proven track record.
I do have a nice Colt trooper thats a great shooter and has better sights. But after 6 rnds it would become a club. I always fight it with the cyl. release being opposite my Smiths.

For a fighting revolver, I'd vote for a full size, .357 mag, in stainless, 4" barrel, fixed sights, and DAO.

Personally, I have two of the rarer full underlug GP-100s in such a configuration with tritium front sights. I swapped in the DAO hammers from two Canadian import GP-100s and use one as a bedside gun to get to my long guns and the other as a spare. Simple enough to hand to my wife and she can just point and shoot with no special handling instructions or safety to worry about. It also has a trigger heavy enough to make sure it isn't fired on accident.

GP100_DAO_Side_1.jpg

Similarly, the Canadian import fixed sight ones are half underlug and look/feel great with the standard non-DAO hammer.
GP100_DAO_Conversion_3.jpg

Note: I use the compact Lett grips and not the finger grooved Hogue, but it's what I had at the time that picture was taken.

For you Smith & Wesson fans, the L-frame 681 (fixed sight 686) is a solid choice too, but I prefer my revolvers to not have screwed on side plates so the Ruger won me over.
GP100_681_Side_1.jpg

Last Edited:
To me, a good fighting revolver would entail the removal of the cylinder to be replaced with a striker fired semi-auto system that also utilized a separate magazine capable of carrying at least 10 rounds. It would also need to be reliable.

I would call it Glock. ;)

Just ribbin you guys. The first 'real' gun I shot was a Colt Python .357 back in '85.

My favorite kick is Paul Harrelss vid lead in.

dragnet.png

Last Edited:
All comes down to if you only have 6-7 rounds, they should be powerful enough to end things quicky. For me, that's 357-44mag range. 3-4" barrel, stainless, DA.

opps hit the wrong button..🙄.. love this one .. here are mine
S&W model 58 41 4in mag with a set of Pachmayer grips
S&W 10-5 38 spl 4in
S&w 25-2 45 acp. 6In custom grips
If we are talking from a duty holster I would probably go with 25-2. Uses moon clips for an easy/faster reload . Also better sights .

Basically for me it's got to have a 4" barrel.
Lends itself to more accuracy and just feels more capable as a working pistol and high volume shooting. Snub noses aren't too great for range and 6" is a little unwieldy barrel wise to be concealed.

The one I carry every day is not the one I would carry into combat.
The one I carry every day is a pocket gun that I can shoot reasonably well. It has to not be in the way so that I can carry it from the time I get dressed till I go to bed. It's there to convince others to pick another victim. its there to get me out of a fight not in one.
The one I'd pick for combat is in a major caliber, has enough grip for all fingers and two hands, decent sights, and enough sight radius to make 50-yard shots look easy. DR

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews