JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Remembering that a revolver isn't an auto so you shouldn't try and shoot it like one
Cylinder gap is no joke
1707970392365.png

Single action for shots that you can take your time, double action for when time is no such luxury. Only applies to a double action revolver of course for the lesser informed.

Double action shooting only. You can learn to shoot DA just as accurate as shooting single action.
Shoot, shoot, shoot buy or load a bunch of ammo.
14 rounds DA offhand at 7.5 yards with full power 125 JHP and H110. This Magnum load shoots a little bit left.
1708001580775.png
Shoot a lot of ammo. Reloading 2K of 38 special.
1708001773803.png

Not worrying about it....

As in simply trying to make my next shot better than my last shot.
Andy

Edit to add....
Once you find a system , loading , method etc....
That works for you and gets you the results you want ...
Resist the urge to "refine" it....change it....or do something different.

Last Edited:
Like using a golf pro to improve your game, shooting with someone who is an excellent shot and can teach you subtle changes, can significantly help your accuracy and consistency with a revolver. Stance, grip, aim, trigger and follow-through. Lots and lots of practice helps convert it to muscle memory.

Embrace recoil.
Sort of. My thought is accept recoil.
When shooting some hard kickers and I found myself starting to flinch, the 22 came out. I would shoot it making sure I didn't do anything besides focus on the sights and pull the trigger smoothly.
Then I would go right back to the big boomers, knowing they would kick, but they wouldn't hurt me.
It's amazing that a couple of mags thru the 22 would settle me down and I could return to hitting the target.

Sort of. My thought is accept recoil.
When shooting some hard kickers and I found myself starting to flinch, the 22 came out. I would shoot it making sure I didn't do anything besides focus on the sights and pull the trigger smoothly.
Then I would go right back to the big boomers, knowing they would kick, but they wouldn't hurt me.
It's amazing that a couple of mags thru the 22 would settle me down and I could return to hitting the target.
I agree. It is a natural reaction to flinch from recoil but you must teach yourself "Mind over Recoil".
Load your revolver with one chamber empty. Spin the cylinder so you don't know which cylinder is
empty. When you click the empty cylinder, do you flinch??

Shoulda put the quotes together. Sorry.
Double action shooting only. You can learn to shoot DA just as accurate as shooting single action.
Shoot, shoot, shoot buy or load a bunch of ammo.
14 rounds DA offhand at 7.5 yards with full power 125 JHP and H110. This Magnum load shoots a little bit left.
View attachment 1823285
Shoot a lot of ammo. Reloading 2K of 38 special.
View attachment 1823286
I almost always shoot my DA guns DA. I really like to shoot at moving targets, too.

Shoot slow and accurately as possible, later working up on the trigger speed.

I also like to do the "can dance" with tin cans, trying to hit the can before it completely stops moving.

I've been saving every tin can we open for several years and have a big can of them. Every time we go shoot I grab a handful to take. Once they are fully ventilated, I toss them in the metal scrap.

Been shooting many decades now... large cal, small cal, revolvers and autos. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! Make yourself very familiar with the operation and use of as many pistols and revolvers as much as possible. Some suggest the use of laser-pointers installed on your main squeeze and practicing with that (being very careful NOT to mix LIVE ammo and doing an Alec!)... Eventually comes a point when you find yourself pointing instinctively.

Dry fire helps a lot.
Learning to shoot a snubby well has made shooting larger guns so much easier. if you can shoot the little ones well you can shoot any of them well.
If you want to work on concealed self-defense skills try the Dot Torture Drill. It works on draw and fire drills, shooting doubles, alternating targets, etc...start up close at 1 or 2 yards. and when you can keep all shots in the dots step back another 1 or 2 yards. it is not an easy drill but it shows what skills you need to work on.
and I compete every chance I get. DR

One thing an old timer taught me a long time ago was to control my breath If I'm shooting for accuracy (whether SA or DA). Not unlike taking a long-distance rifle shot. I thought he was nuts, until I practiced doing that for a while and finally "got it".

Another thing this guy taught me about revolvers was that - unlike with a semi-auto - once you commit to the trigger press don't vary the speed or pressure of your press or of the release/reset. Don't stop, don't slow down or speed up. Once you commit - just "get on with it". Commit and keep the pressure and speed the same throughout the press and reset. Again, I had no idea what he meant - until I shot a couple of hundred rounds and finally figured it out.

Disclaimer - I am probably a below average revolver shot. :confused: So, your mileage may vary.

TWYLALTR

Cheers

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews