JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Saw this Taurus .357 that comes with a 9mm cylinder you can swap in. Any drawbacks to these?

Saw this Taurus .357 that comes with a 9mm cylinder you can swap in. Any drawbacks to these?

With the .357/9 conversions, you may or may not get decent accuracy depending on the quality of the firearm and the ammo you use. no matter the quality of the make, the different in overall length between the 9mm and .357 cartridges means that there's a huge jump to the rifling for the 9mm.

IMHO pretty much a solution in search of a problem.

Oh - and you couldn't pay me to take a Taurus. Not a brand snob, but I've never had any luck with a single Taurus product.

With the .357/9 conversions, you may or may not get decent accuracy depending on the quality of the firearm and the ammo you use. no matter the quality of the make, the different in overall length between the 9mm and .357 cartridges means that there's a huge jump to the rifling for the 9mm.

IMHO pretty much a solution in search of a problem.

Oh - and you couldn't pay me to take a Taurus. Not a brand snob, but I've never had any luck with a single Taurus product.
Yea I've certainly felt that way about their semi autos based on reputation only (tx-22 excluded). Recently got a Taurus 357 and it's very very smooth action and DA trigger pull. SA trigger is also very nice. But that's only impressions with snap caps, so we'll see after putting it through it's paces. I like that it's 7 shot and ported barrel and that it's $460. The 8 shot reviews were bad but this model all the reviews I saw were positive fwiw. I was trying to see if a person could buy the 9mm cylinder and swap it into this model but I haven't seen anything so far that says you can do that.

5FEE1168-99CD-472B-BB0D-C94FFDF10D3D.jpeg

I gave my son a Ruger 357 Blackhawk that has the 357 magnum cylinder and a 9mm cylinder. It shootd really decent.
I think a lot better quality then anything Taurus ever made with great customer service.

I've had a Taurus 692 Tracker, 2.5" barrel, for a number of years. 7-round cylinder. Just checked and I've put 1496 rounds through it (yes, I log my rounds :confused:).

Left Side Tilt.jpeg

Great shooter. Feels good in the hand, excellent trigger, great sights (adjustable), dependable, heavy-duty (it's a tank). Accurate with all three calibers - I've noticed no difference between 38, 357 or 9mm. Cylinder swap is super easy and super fast.

Only downside is that for 9mm, you have to use moon clips. They are easy enough to load by hand - just time consuming. With a tool (cost me $10, see pic) you can pop the brass out of the clips really fast.

Moon clip unloader.jpg

I have had excellent experiences with the 17 Taurus firearms I've owned over the past 10 years.

TWYLALTR

Cheers.

Last Edited:
I wouldn't go anywhere near Taurus, largely because of their "repair" policy, but the ability to shoot 9㎜ Parabellum in a .38 Special / .357 Magnum is neato. On the other end of the spectrum from the aforementioned manufacturer, Manurhin offered (and may still) an auxiliary cylinder chambered in the auto cartridge.

my GP-100 shoots .327 federal mag, .32 H&R mag, .32 long, .32 short, and .32acp all in the same cylinder!!
This is precisely the reason I've been so tempted on and off by a full sized wheelgun in .327 Federal Magnum. Good cartridge and the H&R one ain't bad either. We have a ton of .32 ACP / 7.65㎜ Browning for a couple autos and a diminutive SBR. For a spell, we had a decent amount of .32 S&W and .32 S&W Long, but I gave most (if not all) of it away to a family member, so less of a factor now. Neat that the GP-100 is offered in the new(ish) magnum. :)

This is precisely the reason I've been so tempted on and off by a full sized wheelgun in .327 Federal Magnum. Good cartridge and the H&R one ain't bad either. We have a ton of .32 ACP / 7.65㎜ Browning for a couple autos and a diminutive SBR. For a spell, we had a decent amount of .32 S&W and .32 S&W Long, but I gave most (if not all) of it away to a family member, so less of a factor now. Neat that the GP-100 is offered in the new(ish) magnum. :)
I was hoping the report would be less than a .357 mag but it doesn't seem to be. I haven't shot any of the lesser .32 rounds to check the report.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top