JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dear George,

Thank you for your email regarding SB 6620. I am a co-sponsor of the House version of this legislation. I do not believe that assault weapons should be available for sale -- to anyone, but that at a minimum should require an enhanced background check to purchase. The primary purpose of an assault weapon is to kill as many people as possible. Their purpose is not to hunt animals -- it is to slaughter people-- and that is what they are used for.

In fact, high capacity magazines are commonly used in mass shootings. According to a 2013 study, high-capacity magazines were used in 50% of the 62 mass shootings that occurred between 1982 and 2012. These weapons are extremely dangerous, and when they are used in mass shootings, the death rate rose 63% and the injury rate rose 156%. By requiring enhanced background checks for high capacity magazines, we have the opportunity to reduce gun deaths, and make Washington state a safer place.

I will defend a citizen's right to purchase a shotgun, pistol, or many other types of guns. But assault weapons have no place in a civilized society.

I appreciate hearing from you.

Best Regards,
Representative Ruth Kagi

Chair, Early Learning and Human Services

32nd Legislative District

[email protected]

Check out my website here. You can also sign up for legislative updates here.

Killing is a matter of will, not weapons.
You can't control the act itself by passing
laws about the means employed.

Good Shooting

Lindy

Suggested follow up might go something like this --

----------------------------------
Senator (Representative?) Kagi:

In your previous message you stated that "the primary purpose of an assault weapon is to kill as many people as possible. Their purpose is not to hunt animals -- it is to slaughter people-- and that is what they are used for."

The type of weapons you incorrectly described as "assault weapons" are owned by the police. Are you claiming that the government has purchased these weapons to slaughter the public? You probably wouldn't make such a claim about the police, and say the police merely own them to protect the public.

Why would the public need to own the same weapons as used by the police? The answer is that the public needs to own these weapons for the same reasons that the police own them -- for their own protection. The public needs them for protection from the government. Some examples would include the mass forced internment of American citizens of ethnic minority during the 1940s in Puyallup. Incidentally this act of civil abuse was done under orders by a President of the same political party of which you are a member. Other acts of government overreach which were actually stopped by armed citizens include the incident known as the "Battle of Athens", in which army veterans prevented a corrupt Sheriff in McMinn County Tennesse from stealing an election by preventing African American citizens from voting. One of the precipitating events occurred when the sheriff deputies shot an African American farmer in the back as punishment for voting. Incidentally, the sheriff was a member of the same political party as yourself, and would have likely shared your view that citizens should be prevented from owning the same types of weapons as owned by police.

Given your support for disarming citizens who wish to protect themselves against overreach of government, it would be best if you resign from office.

Sincerely,
_____ _________

Actually what he is stating, is total bull bubblegum, even the FBI itself statistics show, the majority of shootings in the last 50 years have resulted in 90% of the deaths, with a handgun. In fact assault rifle so-called, make up for less than 3% of all shootings in the last 50 years. Not just mass shootings. In fact many of the guns that are used in the media hyped shootings, were not up black rifles, assault rifles or whatever the hell you want to call them. If you look back the last 50 years at shootings in schools, less than 1% involved a rifle. Now we are not talking about the media hyped shootings, we are talking about all shootings occurred on a semi regular basis within school grounds. Almost always involve a handgun. And normally no more than 2 to 3 shots have ever been fired in these incidences.

I get real sick and tired of these lies that are told, the FBI, ATF, and the DHS have no statistics that show high capacity magazines, are involved in the majority of mass shootings. Furthermore the only ones that are reported generally speaking are the ones that do happen to have high capacity magazines. Now what they don't tell you, is the majority of these politicians see anything over 10 rounds as being high capacity, that means if a handgun with 12 round magazine is used, they would be considered a high-capacity magazine.
This is who we are facing are these type of people, that make up complete lies about what is occurring out there. It is very important that we understand there are facts, and there are lies. Have so-called assault weapons been used in mass shootings? Yes. Have so-called assault weapons with high-capacity magazines been used in all mass shootings? No. Have they been used in the majority of all mass shootings No ! What we are missing is that statistics are being made up by polls, that often involve less than 200 people taking these polls. There is no statistics that back up most of the information you and I are provided. The fact of the matter is the most dangerous firearm if you were going to say so would be a handgun. Across this nation there are more handguns openly used on our streets for defense and for criminal acts than any other firearm out there. In fact it's almost laughable thinking of rifle is used in all these events. A handgun is simply more practical, easily concealed, and easily hidden. The criminal element does not walk up our streets, or in gang neighborhoods with so called assault rifle. And most of the shootings occur every single day, and the majority is done with a handgun. If you were to gather up all of the people that have been killed the last 50 years in schools. It would not add up to how many people die in a week, by firearms in this country. And it would also not cover even close to the amount of gang related shootings. And these shootings are ignored.

Personally I would write this guy back and tell him he's a liar, and hold them accountable for what he's saying but that's just me. I am tired of people making up stuff and saying it's true when it's obviously not. I do not trust the government any more most do. But the ATF FBI and DHS have no statistics to back up anything that shows high-capacity magazines are overly dangerous, or they are used in the majority of mass shootings is total BS.

It's a "she", not a "he". Although, today you might be accused of being insensitive for using those "binary" terms. Also there are polite and impolite ways of calling a person a liar. I have found it is better to politely call a person a liar because then the recipient of the letter finds it harder to dismiss the constituent. Politicians don't care about the accuracy of numbers. But, they certainly do care when reminded of their own murderous policies put forth by their own political parties. So remind them at every opportunity that they are in fact murderous, as there are plenty of examples (with just a few provided in my own sample response).

Last Edited:
Dear George,

Thank you for your email regarding SB 6620. I am a co-sponsor of the House version of this legislation. I do not believe that assault weapons should be available for sale -- to anyone, but that at a minimum should require an enhanced background check to purchase. The primary purpose of an assault weapon is to kill as many people as possible. Their purpose is not to hunt animals -- it is to slaughter people-- and that is what they are used for.

In fact, high capacity magazines are commonly used in mass shootings. According to a 2013 study, high-capacity magazines were used in 50% of the 62 mass shootings that occurred between 1982 and 2012. These weapons are extremely dangerous, and when they are used in mass shootings, the death rate rose 63% and the injury rate rose 156%. By requiring enhanced background checks for high capacity magazines, we have the opportunity to reduce gun deaths, and make Washington state a safer place.

I will defend a citizen's right to purchase a shotgun, pistol, or many other types of guns. But assault weapons have no place in a civilized society.

I appreciate hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Representative Ruth Kagi

Chair, Early Learning and Human Services

32nd Legislative District

[email protected]

Check out my website here. You can also sign up for legislative updates here.

Killing is a matter of will, Not weapons. You can't control the act itself by passing laws about the means employed.

Good Shooting

Lindy

Assault is a Verb, Weapon/Rifle/Pistol/High Capacity Mags are nouns. So to put the Verb Assault in front of the Nouns means to assault the nouns. Maybe suggesting that these elected officials need to take a refresher course on the proper use of the English language.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top